2005 Brown blanc and 2000 Louvière rouge

AlexR

2005 Brown blanc and 2000 Louvière rouge

Post by AlexR »

Hi,
No detailed notes here.
Dinner on Sat. night.

Leclerc Briant brut Champagne: a truly superior entry level wine from this house. The fact that it is biodnyamic is beside the point to me. The quality is very classy. Nice balance: just austere enough, just rich enough. One to search out.

2005 white Château Brown, Pessac Léognan: I know this estate fairly well. It is owned by the Mau family and a Dutch family and the fact that it has survived in the suburbs of Bordeaux is a minor miracle. I have always preferred the white to the red and the owners have shifted production more towards the former. The 9 year-old wine we had was gorgeous: trademark citrus aromas, full body, fine mineral aftertaste. Even the most die-hard Bordeauxphiles (like me...) usually acknowledge that Burgundy does better in white wines. But when you come across a reasonably-priced wine like this of such quality, you begin to wonder :-).
In all fairness though, you have to search them out...

2000 red Château La Louvière: Pessac Léognan: Lovely rich, deep colour. Refined, cigar/box "lead capsule" nose of great distinction. Served blind, people were thinking Saint Julien, and I can see why. The palate is unfortunately not quite up to the bouquet, finishing lean and a little acidic. Still, a wine that shone at table (rather than in a clinical line-up at a tasting). I think I would have preferred it somewhat younger. This bottle confirms that mid-level 2000 red Bordeaux is most definitely in its drinking window.

Best regards,
Alex R.