TN: 2004 chateau Sociando Mallet

Nicklasss

TN: 2004 chateau Sociando Mallet

Post by Nicklasss »

Tonight, I opened a red Bordeaux, something i did not do since my return from the 2014 convention. I feel that my Bordeaux are too young, and that the price went up so bad l'y in the latest vintages, that i don't want to open them anymore.

So i found a lonely bottle of the 2004 Château Sociando Mallet, and decided to open it. Very dark red, the wine has a first nose of spicy oak, green pepper, and leather. Over an hour, the nose opened more on blackcurrants, cola, spicy plums. The mouth is concentrated, with a lively acidity, flavors aren't too concentrated, on dark berries, spices, light cedar, with grainy tannins and noble wood on the short to medium long finish. This is a very good Sociando, but not at the heights of the 1996, 2003 or 2010. A very good red Bordeaux, very classic, will age easily for 8-10'more years, but
I think it is ok now. TN : 88-89.

I had a few inexpensive wines in the last weeks. A few wines that need attention:

2011 Bonnet-Huteau Muscadet Sèvre et Maine : pure, mineral, Crisp, light fruit, a very nice Muscadet. You got you try. TN : 90.

2012 BO2 Barranco Obscuro: tempranillo, 1380 m high Vineyard in Andalousia Spain (one If not the high est of Europe). A pure wine, complex, thrilling, not overconcentrated, very nice. Probably one of the best 20-25 $ wine, i had in my life! Try If you can, that will change your conception of Spanish wines. TN : 92.

2012 Domaine de la Voûte des Crozes, Côtes de Brouilly: very nice Gamay. This one is like litlle berries with macerated strawberries, with so much "punch" in mouth. Very yummy and impossible to resist. TN :91.

Nic
Jay Winton

Re: TN: 2004 chateau Sociando Mallet

Post by Jay Winton »

you are drinking well!
Nicklasss

Re: TN: 2004 chateau Sociando Mallet

Post by Nicklasss »

Last glass tonight of the 2004 Sociando Mallet, that was leftover 4 days ago.

More blackcurrants, cocoa, red pepper, on the nose. mouth is quite similar, but with more blackberries.definitely very good, but not excellent or great. But very traditionnal, the oak has now completely disappeared.

rating maintained.

Nic