Happy 4th of July to all US BWEers

Nicklasss

Happy 4th of July to all US BWEers

Post by Nicklasss »

Have a good Independance Day celebration.

And please, open a US wine. :P

Nic
Jay Winton

Re: Happy 4th of July to all US BWEers

Post by Jay Winton »

thanks Nic. I'm trying one of my 2012 Sojourn Rodgers Creek pinots tonight. Father Stefan recommended a French wine for some reason so maybe also a CNDP.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Nic.

Yes, we always drink French wines on the fourth in honor of our allies who helped us separate from the Evil Empire. :)

We'll have some of our wine friends over for swimming and hangar steak. I'll open NV Eric Rodez, '99 Eric Rodez, and '98 Beausejour, plus whatever fill ins are needed after seeing what the others bring. They will bring some American wines, so Uncle Sam will not be slighted. And I am properly attired in a red T shirt and blue & white swim trunks.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

The 1998 Château Beausejour is a very nice wine. Traditionnal St-Émilion, with lots of purple fruits/flowers, and nice grainy spicy tannins.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

I decided to have it tonight after Lucie and I drank a 2001 Beausejour the other night. It was very good and fruity, and the '98 smells like it will be better.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The bottle of '98 Beausejour was just OK; certainly not comparable to the '01 Lucie and I drank earlier this week. I was surprised as the first time we drank this wine it was excellent.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Thank you, Nic. A 2010 Termanthia for me tonight.
RDD

Post by RDD »

We had a 1991 Silver Oak Napa. Good.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

The Sojourn was good but had an almost overwhelming amount of citrus-oranges-on the nose. I hope this calms down with age as I find it OTT. The 07 Mont-Redon, however, was a nice example of CNDP and makes me glad I stocked up on medium priced wines from this vintage. I realize that CNDP gets little love here, a sentiment with which I disagree. Last night, we drank another bottle of NV Veuve Doussot Champagne L which we again found quite enjoyable. Nice balance with a crisp finish.
finner

Post by finner »

Went for the 2010 Ridge Lytton Springs on the 4th. Lean and tight, but oh so good the next night. Hold them if you have any in the cellar.
sdr

Post by sdr »

That Termanthia was an enormous fruit bomb as I expected - and wanted, to do battle with the short ribs. The difference is there is enough stuffing, dry extract, tannin and acidity to balance it. Great stuff if you're not looking for finesse or subtlety. The bottle looked and felt like a magnum or a grenade, huge amount of glass, feels like 8 pounds or so.

Stuart