Paris Trip

brodway

Paris Trip

Post by brodway »

We arrived in Paris on July 2nd. The next day the sun was out and all was well. We grabbed a cup of espresso and a croissant at the local patisserie and a baguette in hand to begin our 12 day journey. We immediately rushed to see all the tourist spots as it was our first time in the city of love...or is it the city of light. From Ile de la Cité to the Invalides, we walked high and low for days on occasion exceeding 15 mile hikes. It is certainly a special place in the world with many tales and intimate details. Its one of a few places in the world where you can march on the same path as Napolean and enjoy an afternoon snack at the Luxembourg gardens overlooking the French Senate.

We met Tim a fellow BWE member on the third day. At this juncture, having covered a good part of Paris on foot, we quickly came to learn the underground metro system. So later that evening, we jumped on the metro zooming in and out of the underground hallways and arrived in Marais, a district that to date retains much of the original architecture and character. There, we met Tim who was clever enough to order the last bottle of the memorable 2010 D'Angerville Volnay Champans. I'm not sure how he came to know that Volnay is my favorite Burgundy commune, the wine did not disappoint. Extremely primary, sporting a light ruby color, the perfume from the glass is worth the price of entry on it own. In essence, rose blossom and lilac aromas but extremely delicate on taste with a higher pitch than i would have liked to taste here. Very juicy, tart and sweet at the same time like a sour cherry compote. There's good acidity here to suggest this will age well, although a pleasure to drink now. If not for the slightly higher pitch in the mid palate i would have easily scored it higher than the 93 points.

After a cheese and cold meat plate, we consumed a 1999 Philippe Pacalet Gevrey Chambertin La Perriere. This was a 360 in terms of style. Completely backward, almost to the point that the fruit did not reveal itself until a half hour in the glass. I have to admit the wine was served colder than normal, and may have exhibited greener and more muted notes. The nose was restrained although later in the evening it started to reveal some hints of dark fruit. The structure here is quite backward and the finish much longer than the first wine consumed that evening. There's certainly earthy and herbaceous hints here reminding me more of Bordeaux than Bourgogne. I rated it 89 points.

The weather quickly changed in Paris going from 88 to 68 in a hurry. We found more use for umbrellas and hoodies than sandals and shorts. More to follow.
Nicklasss

Re: Paris Trip

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice start Broadway. Waiting for episode 2 here.

Nic