TN: 1994 Rauzan Segla

Claret

TN: 1994 Rauzan Segla

Post by Claret »

Rauzan Segla is one of my favorite Bordeaux. My epiphany came from a dirt cheap case of the 85. Last night I opened my first 94. I am more of a fan of 94 Bordeaux than most and the vintage is really transforming into something nice at age 20.

Classic mature and perfumed nose of Margauxberries, subtle cedar and earth.

Smooth textured with softened tannins and flavors of black fruits, succulent acidity and very good length. At peak for my tastes and will hold on for a few more years at this level if not more. Really enjoyable now and glad I bought some on futures for cheap.
Glenn
hautbrionlover

Re: TN: 1994 Rauzan Segla

Post by hautbrionlover »

Glad to hear it. I had a case of the '94 RS, but haven't had one in a few years. I guess it's time to open another!
RDD

Post by RDD »

1994 is over looked and a bargain.
Especially the right bank.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Thanks for the note Claret. A reassuring note, if I may say so, because I have increasing misgivings about the fruit - and lack thereof - in this vintage.

I have a Ch. Ducru Beaucaillou 1994 standing up for tonight with lamb chops, despite the fact that it is a tropical 85degrees here in London.
Claret

Post by Claret »

Ian, no issues with fruit on the RS. The 94 PLL is also an overachiever. In general the Right Bank may be more consistent.

I bought several pleasing 94's on futures from Parker's barrel notes back when he was a viable information source.
Glenn
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

The Ducru '94 was a perfect match for the rack of lamb. It had a nice entry of cigar box and tobacco with a bit of cedar. In fact this wine was not as laboured as the last bottle I had a couple of years ago, which seemed to be trying too hard.

On its own ( i.e., without the rack of lamb accompaniment) the wine's limitations start to become apparent. This wine is nicely tertiary but the fruit is fading (if I was unkind I would say it is dying). Also the wine falls off diagonally on the palate: the finish is short.

While it is invariably always a pleasure to drink Ducru, and this wine is not flawed, it is not a fine Ducru. It encapsulates the limitations of a mediocre vintage where in many cases, and Pontet Canet is an example is that, the fruit fades before the tannins resolve.

So at best only a ** out of a***** vintage. I used to be a cheerleader for this vintage but I got it wrong. However it is not a disaster: good wines were made at Margaux (wotv, which may explain why Rausan was so good), and Latour...and other places like GPL...but the lauded Pontet Canet is already going to the dregs. Leoville Barton is an uncommon failure. Mind LLC produced a good wine.