Flowering in Bordeaux 2014

Musigny 151

Flowering in Bordeaux 2014

Post by Musigny 151 »

Bordeaux 2014: Let the Flowering Begin

In his June 3rd report from the vineyards, guest contributor Gavin Quinney of Château Bauduc wrote that ''the flowering has started in Bordeaux and, with any luck, the weather might just be with us for this critical stage of the growing season.'' He noted that, with an early budbreak, while we're not looking at a huge crop, ''the number of potential bunches is about right -- for quality.''

Temperature, sun and rain conditions have fluctuated in the 2014 growing season, so it's currently impossible to predict. However, we're beginning to see results:

At the start of June, Quinney observed that ''the flowering began in earnest, first with the earlier-ripening Merlot in the precocious vineyards of Pomerol... along with Haut-Brion in Pessac... and the fact that Cabernet Franc (such as at Angélus) has also started to flower is a good sign.'' To complete the trinity of Bordeaux grapes, Quinney notes that ''Cabernet Sauvignon will not be far behind if the weather continues to be fine.''
jmccready

Re: Flowering in Bordeaux 2014

Post by jmccready »

Too deep for me.
jmccready

Post by jmccready »

Not really, old vigneron that I am, but thanks for the update.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Have they been hit with any hail in the two months since?
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

The local newspaper dated July 28th says that this year's crop should be 50% greater than last year's:

http://www.sudouest.fr/2014/07/28/vin-l ... 43-713.php

Summer weather has not been very good so far but, as we all know, it ain't over 'til the fat lady sings....

Alex R.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I predict that when the crop is in 2014 will be hailed (npi) as one of the following:

a) A tremendous vintage rivaling some of the recent best;
b) A classic vintage with many excellent wines, or
b) A delightful vintage for near-term consumption with a fair number of surprisingly top-notch wines.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I say b.

So I have 2 chances to win!

And If the 2015 BWE convention is in Bordeaux, plenty of 2014 will be pour If it is the greatest vintage ever!

nic