TN: Montrose 1975 with a sideswipe of La Louviere 1990

Musigny 151

TN: Montrose 1975 with a sideswipe of La Louviere 1990

Post by Musigny 151 »

Always considered an ugly stepchild among Montroses, and not surprising. Montrose may be the most tannic of all Bordeaux wines, and 1975 is a seriously tannic vintage. The bottle is pristine, levels well into the neck, and the wine is still colored a heavy crimson, with no hint of browning.

I opened this at 2:00 pm, poured it into a decanter, and left until 7:00 that night. Almost nothing from the glass. Decided whilee we were waiting to pull out another half of La Louviere 1990 (see earlier thread) the fifth from a full case. Pretty wine, almost ready, lovely Graves aromatics. 92.

Kept returning to the Montrose. It is beginning to crack open…just. Three hours in the glass, and it is still savage, but recognizable as a serious Bordeaux. Very muted in the glass, but the finish is amazing; the flavors seemed to have escaped, and that finish is long, layered and lovely. Maybe another ten years… I have five more bottles, and will probably be in my dotage when this wine is truly ready.
DavidG

Re: TN: Montrose 1975 with a sideswipe of La Louviere 1990

Post by DavidG »

Fascinating look at the Montrose Mark. Almost 40 years old and the wine is still an adolescent. Will it ever grow up or will its life force fade before it matures?