Summertime and the livin' is easy....

JimHow

Summertime and the livin' is easy....

Post by JimHow »

Wait a minute, it's mid-August, where did time go?
Been a busy summer. Too busy. Have had about 10 lobster rolls, though, so it couldn't have been so bad.
What have you done this summer?
I've had some consuming trials but I've had a chance to watch some movies, like Her, Llewelyn Davis, To Kill a Mockingbird, Dallas Buyers Club, Nebraska, The Wolf of Wall Street, American Hustle, Gravity, l'Amore, others.

So what do you think were my favorite movies and what were the movies that I hated?
JimHow

Re: Summertime and the livin' is easy....

Post by JimHow »

Speaking of movies, very sad tonight about Robin Williams. I've heard a lot of discussion in the past 24 hours about his movie accomplishments. For me, though, it was his stand- up. His movies were great. His standup, though, was what elevated him to a level that we've never seen. I always considered him "the funniest man in the world." And I don't just say that posthumously. And being the "funniest man in (this crazy) world" is really saying something.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just ordered another pair of my $18 Walmart black frames, the same ones I've been wearing for the past 5 years. My eyes are going, we had a big increase in my prescription this year, the 51st straight year (since age 4) that my prescription has been strengthened. If my eyesight goes and I can't read anymore you have permission to come into my room and suffocate me with a pillow. My hearing is gone, too, it is starting to get embarrassing, in court I have to go up to witnesses now when I'm questioning them because I can't hear what they are saying. I need a hearing aid but of course my pride won't allow me.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Lobster rolls are a good thing.

My guesses on movies:

Thumbs up: Mockingbird, Nebraska, Gravity(?)
Thumbs down: The Wolf, Her

Robin Williams was in a class by himself for our generation.

My hearing is only going in one ear so far. I used to stand on the right side of the stage (facing the audience) when I was in a band. Absolutely no prizes to the first who can guess which ear is going down the tubes...
stefan

Post by stefan »

$18 frames?!?! My last ones were in the $70 range; less than half of what Lucie's cost. Very small compared to the lenses.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I went up and down Manhattan island looking for the perfect set of black frames like what I used to wear when I was a kid. Couldn't find them. Then I walked into my local Walmart one day and there they were,$18 apiece.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Me in kindergarten when I was barely 5 years old, fall 1963.
Note the vintage frames.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (42.84 KiB) Viewed 569 times
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I kind of liked Her actually, a couple of good twists in it.
Nebraska was pretty good except there were some scenes that were just ridiculous and non-believable.
Gravity was utterly ridiculous, one of the most ridiculous movies I have ever seen.
Likewise Wolf of Wall Street. I'm all for gratuitous sex but this was just nonsense. Completely ridiculous. How did this avoid an X rating?
I liked Dallas Buyers Club, l'Amore, and of course Mockingbird.
My favorite movie of the summer was American Hustle.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

And I re-watched one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time, The Astounding She-Monster:

http://youtu.be/9i0g5x-6v8U
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

We liked Boyhood. Dazed and Confused over 12 years. It was fascinating watching the same actor grow up in the movie. It's long- 2:40-but worth the time. mrs vino the Texan really enjoyed the various locales.

Jum, have you considered lasik if you are a candidate? It was a life changer for me and 15 years later no regrets.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't remember life without glasses mr v, I'm comfortable with my black frames.