Wines from my last holiday. Mainly Bordeaux.

Nicklasss

Wines from my last holiday. Mainly Bordeaux.

Post by Nicklasss »

I had nice holidays for the last 12 days. A visit to my brother's place, near Montréal, for a few day, was a good occasion to open some nice wines, red Bordeaux in majority.

2011 Clau de Nell Grolleau: an obscure red grape from Loire, made by the famous Bourgogne lady, Anne-Claude Leflaive. Biodynamy grown grape, that wine was light, like a mix of Beaujolais with a Valpolicella. Medium red color, nose of red berries, cherries and light candy. In mouth, smooth, light, refreshing, pure, a nice appetizer wine. Maybe some herbs, with mainly red cherries flavours. Very good. TN : 85.

2000 Château Clerc Milon : after drinking the 2000 Château Lynch Bages with Jim not so long ago, I was expecting a lot from that bottle. Color was medium to dark red, with very nice classic austere Pauillac nose of cedar, blackberries, pencil, smoke, black prunes. The mouth was very very austere, a bit charmless. Yes, there is lot of tannins, with good dark berries and kind If charcoal flavors, the wine seems a bit light in mouth, for 2000. Also, taste of humus wood, with a medium final. 12.5 % alcohol. TN: 88.

2002 Château Clerc Milon : nose was similar to the 2000, but add some blackcurrants and more Merlot dark red berries. Mouth was smoother than 2000, but still very austere Pauillac. Again that basic dark berries and charcoal, but with also rasberries, blackcurrants, pencil and strong tannins but with more fruit on the decent long final. 13% alcohol. Better than 2000, but far away from a 95 rating. TN: 90.

2009 Château Chasse-Spleen: after the 2 Clerc Milon, this just seemed better, with dark color, more seducing nose of rasberries, Black berries, roasted oak, vanilla, soft spices. In mouth, younger, smoother, more round fruit, but with that little rustic side of Moulis. Flavors of creamy Black cherries, rasberries, cinnamon, oak and long final with ripe tanins, glycérine and smoked meat and red berries final. TN : 91.

2005 Cuvée Grands Terroirs de Chardonnay, from Pierre Gimmonet: a very nice Champagne, with all the refinement from Chardonnay, with crispy citrus, minerals, bread crust and white peach and flowers. In mouth, not the dryest, but lit of style with white flowers, light butter, yeast, acid pears flavors. Cool but it seem like I'm slowly getting tired of these 100% chardonnay Champagne. TN: 90.

2011 Clau de Nell cuvée violette : mix of Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon from Loire. biodynamic. This was way better than the Grolleau. Medium red, with complex nose of Black berries, flowers, incense, herbs, old strawberries and light chocolate. In mouth, more density than the Grolleau, with dark berries, green pepper, flowers flavors. Lot of tannins, ripe, good acid, balance is great. Final is long on rasberry and leaves (green tobacco?). I liked that so much but lot of room to improve too. TN: 89-90.

2009 Château Lafon Rochet : well, a definitely great wine "en devenir". Dark color, creamy Black currants aromas, spices, oak, vanilla, creamy dark red berries aromas, with also that little wet earth touch. But the nose is very intense, "à la Cos". In mouth, still primary, but very tasty, blackcurrants, spices, violet flowers, concentrated, but with acid (yes, seems it is possible even in 2009). Coating tannins, very ripe, long noble oak and dark berries finish. TN : 92+.

2003 Château Lagrange: the unexpected stunner. I would have never predicted that. Dark color, superb pure nose of blackcurrants, infused vanillin with oak, light spices, rasberries, santal wood. Intense nose. In mouth, this is incredibly creamy, extremely cassis (i like that!), very St-Julien being concentrated just enough, spicy (ginger, cinnamon, all spice), minerals, velvety, light game, with a long final on red fruits/flowers/infused oak. Is this really 2003? With so much elegance? TN : 93.

2010 Château David: a Médoc, very good from that vintage. Classic red licorice, red and black currants, and light spices on the nose. mouth is of very good concentration, maybe on the easy side, but enjoyable with Merlot berries, oak, dark plums and red berries flavors. That nice 2010 structure too. For the price, very good. TN: 87-88.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stefan

Re: Wines from my last holiday. Mainly Bordeaux.

Post by stefan »

Uh-oh, I passed on the 2003 Lagrange in favor of 2003 Leoville Poyferre. Did I make a mistake?

I have found both the 2000 and 2002 Clerc Milon to be good with steak, but neither is at all close to being mature. I think the 2000 will be better than the 2002 in 6-10 years, but anyone who holds either will be pleased.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

A lot of people panned the 2003 Lagrange. I really liked it while acknowledging it was perhaps atypical for a young St. Julien. Praline and cinnamon. I probably have six bottles left of a case.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nic I am not surprised by the 200 Clerc. I have had plenty like that,

Hound, Neal Martin just did a big vertical of Lagrange. I am not a subscriber. I thought the 2003 was a shocker when I tried it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Another 2002 that excels, ho hum.
And by the way, does Chasse Spleen ever NOT please?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nic drank the '03 Lagrange, BD. But last night Lucie and I drank the '02 with strip steak. It also is a winner. Classic Bordeaux, not the currently popular fruit bombs (which I also like).
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

St. Julien was a real sweet spot in 2002, Stefan. That Lagrange is a beauty.