Non-Bordeaux wines in Bordeaux

AlexR

Non-Bordeaux wines in Bordeaux

Post by AlexR »

Hi,
Yesterday with lunch, we killed:

1995 Bonnezeaux, « trie de vendanges », René Renou
This had turned a very deep gold color with amber tinges. The nose was slightly oxidised, but pleasant. Medium-sweet rather than cloying on the palate. I think it would have been preferable to drink this wine a few years ago. Good, but not especially so.

2010 Château Simone (blanc), Palette
This is from one of the smallest appellations in France. The white wine is 80% Clairette, 10% Grenache Blanc, etc. The wine was medium-deep straw yellow in color. The nose showed some honey and waxiness, but there was not much fruit there. The taste was a little austere and lacked freshness to me. However, I can appreciate that some people really like the style, which reminded me of certain white Riojas. However, I think I prefer Simone’s red and rosé to their white.
2010 Noir Désir, Syrah/Pinot Noir blend, Cava Delta, appellation Valais (Venthône, Switzerland)
This is made by a friend of mine, and is his top wine. Served blind, people were guessing Côte Rôtie and I can see why. The Syrah clearly predominated in the blend, which showed the freshness, floral qualities, and spicy/peppery components of a fine Northern Rhône. Unanimous thumbs up around the table.

2002 Clos des Lambrays, grand cru, Domaine des Lambrays
My friend thought it would not be too early to open this wine, and he was right. It is quite pleasant to drink now, and the color is already starting to brick. The nose is very feminine and subtle, with rose petal overtones. However, it’s another story on the palate, which displays force of character and length. Overall, a wine full of nuance rather than overt greatness.

1997 Chambertin, grand cru, Domaine Trapet
The difference with the previous wine was striking. Much deeper color, strong morello cherry aromas, and an assertive, virile flavour profile. Perhaps a more old-fashioned style, but a delight to those who like Burgundy with brio. There was some discussion as to whether the Lambrays or the Chambertin was “better”. The Chambertin won out, but everyone acknowledged the class of the Lambrays.

2004 Vintage Port, Quinta da Prelada, Samuel Magalhães e Silva, Herdeiros
Hadn’t planned on this one, so it was simply uncorked and poured. Inky almost fluorescent purplish-back color. Lovely figgy aromas, and rich deeply satisfying flavour. I had always gone on the assumption that vintage port was to age for 20/30 years or more. But then I read reports by Americans that the wines were also a treat young, and a trip to Portugal convinced me that this indeed is the case. So I no longer have any compunction about doing so.

Best regards,
Alex R.
DavidG

Re: Non-Bordeaux wines in Bordeaux

Post by DavidG »

Quite a lunch, Alex, nicely done!