Napa Earthquake

dstgolf

Napa Earthquake

Post by dstgolf »

Looks like a little more than a rumble through Napa last night. Seen some images on the net showing some areas damaged and wine barrels/bottles ruined. I'm sure that as time moves on there may be more info re: effect on the area.

Hopefully Michael P's new efforts in the area see him safe through the event.
Danny
DavidG

Re: Napa Earthquake

Post by DavidG »

I've heard a few serious injuries, about a hundred less serious injuries, variable property damage but no major infrastructure damage. Some places lost a lot of wine, but haven't heard of widespread devastating total losses. That may change as people have time to take stock. Hopefully the news won't get too much worse as the full extent of the damage is learned.

SF Chronicle story here.

My thoughts are with MichaelP and all our Napa friends. Hope you and yours are safe and sound.
SF Ed

Post by SF Ed »

From everything I am hearing, very few injuries, lots of broken bottles.

Glad I live on rock - only knew there was an earthquake because our birds started squacking.

SF Ed
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Glad to hear that you and Lisa are OK, Ed.

Michael P, we hope everything is fine at your place.

Gail and Tom
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

It looked scary on the news.
Hope everyone is alright!
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Just got a general e mail from Fritz Hatton of Arietta, who lives in downtown Nanpa.:

Dear Friends of Arietta,

Thank you for your messages of concern for the safety of our families and our winery after the earthquake in Napa yesterday morning. We are blessed to have so many caring friends, and have received so many messages that we are unable to keep up with personal answers! So here is a brief report and we will respond to you in person as soon as we can.

In short, the Hatton family is safe after quite a shaking in our little 1888 farmhouse in the historical center of Napa. Apart from some damage to breakables in our Napa house, we are very lucky to have no damage to our Victorian in Saint Helena, the winery in Saint Helena, and incredibly enough, the Arietta Wine Library and primary stocks of current Arietta releases at Western Wine Services in American Canyon, which lies very close to the epicenter of the quake. There is minor to moderate damage to dozens of historical homes and buildings in downtown Napa, in a few cases severe, and there will be a fair amount of fixing up to do. In addition, a number of wineries located mostly in the southern end of the Valley have lost some wine in barrels.

Our hearts go out to those whose lives have been set back by damage to their homes and businesses. You should know however that apart from several streets and a number of businesses and offices located mostly in older buildings in downtown Napa, the Valley as a whole remains fully accessible and open for business. So we encourage you to come ahead and enjoy the Valley as we enter what is shaping up to be a fabulous 2014 harvest season.

In gratitude for your care, support, and enthusiasm for the Arietta family and wines,
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Thanks to anyone concerned and the summary is:
BWE events will still be held at Michael-P's Napa cabin as all is intact.

We were not there that night, luckily since it was very frightening as I heard from friends that were in Napa. And also, amazingly and very luckily, we had essentially no damage. All wine intact. A few things out of place.

When we awoke that Sunday morning to emails, sms and calls about the quake,I quickly went to Napa (picking up my 23 yr old nephew along the way to help) to clean up whatever mess there might be. After going through the house, we headed downtown and walked around. I'd say about 15 buildings looked impacted with only about 5 being badly hit. A week later, we went again and there were dozens of red tagged buildings, so worse than it seemed.

We drank some good wine to celebrate our "survival".

Let's plan a BWE offline there soon.....

Michael-P
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Glad to hear all is well, Michael-P.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I'm happy that damages are limited at your place Michael.

I have a young colleague that is leaving for Napa this Friday. Hope there are still some bottles for him!

Nic