Mix of unexpensive wines

Nicklasss

Mix of unexpensive wines

Post by Nicklasss »

Did not been lucky lately, while looking for unexpensive wines. Mixed results, with bad and good results.

C.H.Berres Riesling Kabinett Ürziger Würzgarten 2010, confit lemon and way too much sugar. Unbalanced.

2013 Beaujolais Les Griottes Domaine du Vissoux: a producer i like, but a hard Beaujolais in 2013. Was better on day 3 but a little deception anyhow. Seem to me missing the nice Gamay easyness and extra fruit i like.

2011 Château Montaiguillon : montagne St-Émilion, with body and structure and roasted oak. With fruit too, but missing elegance and balance.

2012 Domaine Canet-Valette Une et Milles Nuits St-Chinian: carignan, Syrah, Cinsault. Rustic, dusty rasberries, herbs, Black plums. Probably needs more air. Ok but need to revisit. Will I buy another bottle?

2001 Château Raymond Lafon: my last split. And like the others i had, not up to the réputation of the producer and vintage. Light. Yes apricots, honey, acacia, but where is the botrytis, the complexity, and the weigh?

2012 Château de Souzy: Beaujolais-Villages, simple, but a very nice easy to drink Gamay. Fruity, acid, pleasure.

2010 Shafer Relentless Syrah: ok, more expensive and a very nice USA Syrah. Fruits, smoke, spices, with freshness and elegance. Drink already well, i thought it would be bigger. Very nice. i don't know what John Gilman would think of that wine?

2010 Daumen Vaucluse Principauté d'Orange: very nice for the small price. Mix of Rhône grapes, with a bit of cabernet sauvignon and merlot. Not too complex on the nose, but intense. In mouth, like a Côtes du Rhône, but with just a little bit less power and Cabernet smooth dark berries. Excellent for the low price.

And tonight, 2009 Côtes de Jura Jean Bourdy: pinot noir, trousseau, poulsard, 1/3 of each, vinified all together. Aged 3-4 years in old vats. Clear red, light orange. Nose is volatil, red berries, nuts, flowers, tomato paste. Mouth is light, but full of character, cherries, minerals, light old wood. Excellent.

Nic
Last edited by Nicklasss on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nicklasss

Re: Mix of unexpensive wines

Post by Nicklasss »

That Côtes de Jura, I'm having at this moment, is very nice. Light game, grapey, mineral. Even smoky, complex. Intellectual and very genuine.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

I'll spend a week in Besançon next month and look forward to drinking some Jura wines there.

I am surprised that Raymond Lafon made such a wine in the great 2001 vintage.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

More and more whispers over here that the 2001 vintage in Sauternes is not really what it is cracked up to be.

Now on the basis of two encounters last year I thought Yquem was extraordinary, but opinions are becoming more divided even for this young legend. Look out for possible downgrades.

Last week I was at a dinner featuring Rhys and to finish we had a Sauternes-Barsac served blind and we had to guess what it was. The view round the table was that it was a bit thin and had a short finish. Turns out it was Climens 2001.

I had the Rieussec 2001 in January from a half bottle and while it was very good it was not as good as it was the previous time (in 2012) and it did not meet my high expectations.

Last year I took a case of Lafaurie Peyraguey 2001 out of storage and after a couple of halves I decided to sell them. They were pretty flat and disappointing. They were low in acidity and had no zip.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Jeez, I have some 2001 Chateau Lafaurie Peyraguey, but did not open a bottle yet...

Funny to say that I had not so many 2001 Sauternes or Barsac, and I can't remember one that whoooofffffed me. At the opposite, the few 2001 German Riesling I had, touched my heart almost every time!

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I bought a lot less 2001 Sauternes than I wanted to. I'm starting to feel a little less bad about that now...
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

I bought some 2001 Sauternes. I've only tasted a couple. However, I'm bring one to a Chicago offline on Thursday, so I can provide an update.