BWE France '15: Week of May 18, 2015.

JimHow

BWE France '15: Week of May 18, 2015.

Post by JimHow »

I've been out of the loop.
This is my understanding of where we are at:
1. Timmy, Comte and Alex are willing and able to take the lead in organizing across the pond.
2. Stefan and Tom are willing to work on things here in the U.S., collect money, etc.
3. My assignment is to call Jeff Leve to see if he can offer assistance.
4. Are we looking at the third week of May?
5. We need to start getting a serious headcount. I would think we need a critical mass of at least 20.

Thoughts?
Tom In DC

Re: BWE France '15

Post by Tom In DC »

I think getting 20 folks will not be an issue.

We're standing by, waiting for confirmation that the convention will be sanctioned by the BD.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I think it is really good that people are motivated to define the dates and where to go at this early stage.

Timing - it would be great if the broad outline of a program could be agreed upon up by mid-November so that those of us organizing visits and meals could get going. Events at the most famous estates need to be set up pretty far in advance...

Budget - For some participants, this is not really an issue. But for other's it is, and can even be a deal-breaker. People need to know a price bracket, what the down-payment costs, and what the deadline ito pay it is.

Discussion - The organizing committee has been sending e-mails, but has sort of run out of steam of late :-). Maybe a conference call would be a good thing.
In any event, not all of us have the same tastes and priorities, and geography (Bordeaux is BIG - distances can be far) is a major consideration in planning things.
One of the biggest thingq to clarify is if people want a day off or not, and *how many* people would want to visit châteaux on the day mid-week when others will be sleeping late, shopping, sobering up, etc. ;-).

Hotels: There's much to be said for people staying in a limited number of hôtels. There are several within a very short distance of each other in the city center. Furthermore, if enough people accept staying in the same hotel, a special rate could probably be negotiated.

All the best,
Alex
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nice to see a little pot stirring gets things rolling again!

Agree with Tom numbers aren't the issue. A definite date is.

Agree with Alex pricing is relative to some and could be exclusionary to others. Personally would like to give Mon-Fri in Bordeaux with daily visits similar to 2005 with maybe an afternoon off mid week. Start in Paris with Sat night dinner with group then travel to Bordeaux Sunday. Start tours Monday am and air conditioned bus a must along with bathroom on board a major bonus!

Yes Bordeaux is huge and we found that out in 2005 with long bus rides with no air conditioning and would be nice to cluster visits in an area per day in a region (St Emillion,Pomerol etc). Countryside is great but 2-3 hrs on a bus trying to find some place not so much.

Same hotel a great idea but close by options for some may make it more cost appealling. When we travelled in 2005 Canadian $ was whacked with $1.60 to the greenback and the IBIS was much more appealling than the Mercure where the majority of visitors stayed.

Loved the mix of clasified growths and some lesser but notable/memorable visits to Rolland de By and Malarctic Lagraviere.

Short time to hit everywhere but the last itinerary will certainly be hard to beat but I know that Alex and Tim thrive on a challenge.

If we can get an X on the calendar first then lets push forward and I'm happy to help in any way I can even if it's to keep peoples feet to the fire!!
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

As for dates, I prefer early in May to later. But I think French holidays may determine which week is the most desirable.
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Yes, let's get the dates set so we can arrange travel as the sooner usually the cheaper.

Michael-P
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I'm going to defer to Timmy/Alex/Comte on the dates.
Stefan says earlier in the month.
How does the second week of May work out for everyone?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Just a rough count, not holding anyone to it:

Stefan and Lucie.... 2
Tom & Gail...... 2
Jim +1....... 2
Danny & Danielle.... 2
Comte +1.... 2
Alex +1.... 2
Timmy +1.... 2
MichaelP + Nalan...... 2
Danny's brother (+1?)..... 2
Jim's lawyer friends Tony & Jennifer (lurkers) 2

Total: 20

Who else is coming? DavidG?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Re dates I can fit in with what is decided democratically or otherwise.

My suggestion is that we not be overly ambitious in terms of the timetable because even the most hardy souls could get fatigued with a packed schedule...we should allow sufficient slack for slippage from traffic jams etc.

I think if we do it over a whole week having at least a half day off is a worthy idea.

So once dates have been agreed on, we can draw up a list of estates we would like to visit and contact and go about drawing up a timetable.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

I thought from an earlier thread holidays in France during May played a role with probable closures etc and the best week from Tim's point of view was the 3rd week or May 16th Sat-23rd.

Postby tim on Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:15 am

Based on the holidays and the proposed schedule, I'd propose that we target the week of May 17th with one of the following two itineraries:

Option 1 (5.5 days): Paris dinner Sunday May 17th, train to Bordeaux Monday May 18th, see city, dinner Monday night, tour Tues-Friday night, free Saturday May 23rd to travel back home or wherever.
Option 2 (4.5 days): Paris dinner Tuesday May 19th, train to Bordeaux Wednesday May 20th, see city, dinner Wednesday night, tour Thurs-Sat, free Sunday May 24th to travel back home or wherever.

I'd prefer option one from above with maybe Thursday afternoon off to tour town of Bordeaux etc.

I have no issue with the 1st or second week in May but if we will be hindered from a scheduling perspective as discussed previously the this week may be the one. Maybe Tim or Alex can pipe in again with his timing concerns and fix the date ASAP so planning can move forward.
Danny
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

Let's go over those French public holidays in May again:

- Friday the 1st
- Friday the 8th
- Thursday the 14th (buy half the country will take the Friday off too for a long weekend)
- Monday the 25th

That means that the only "clear week" is that beginning on Monday the 18th.

Danny, if you guys want to make the most of your time in Bordeaux, the best option (which you mentioned in your first post) is to arrive on Sunday night in order to be operational on Monday morning.

As for time off, I spent two intensive days as a guest of the Graves winegrowers this past week and will write it up on my blog.
It's pretty exhausting to start at 9 am and finish your second wine-oriented meal of the day at 11 pm. Believe me, five days in a row of that and you'll be dead tired.

FWIW, my better half will not accompany me.

Please note that 20 people is already considered a huge crowd by many châteaux. Some will not accept for that reason.

Of course, the group treasurer's job is extremely important. And a deadline date has to be set for not just confirming participation, but sending downpayment.

Best regards,
Alex R.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

From Alex's post and others as a framework looking like people arrive in Paris Sat May 16th or before. Group dinner in Paris Sat night (maybe..we did this last time and survived but didn't go to Burgundy with the rest) and train to Bordeaux Sunday with group dinner Sunday night in Bordeaux.

Monday 18th start touring as Alex suggests thru Friday night. Would probably like a down day or half day Wed to let liver breath and just relax in Bordeaux then back at it Thurs/Fri. Wrap up dinner Friday night. Travel back to Paris Sat and home Sunday.

Alex regarding dead tired after five days in a row. If you remember people fading lading last time through Thurs/Fri, coming down with the flu/colds from being run down was not pretty to watch. A little slower pace may be prudent this time.
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

My only request is to visit Lynch Bages and Pontet Canet.
And as Mr. Vino asked earlier, it would be good to have the option of not going for the whole week.
I'm planning on going for the whole week but the vicissitudes of life may work against that.
tim

Post by tim »

Sorry I've been incognito lately, just got back from London and will be off again in a couple days.

As people noted, I think the week of the 18th of May is best. I am good with taking things a bit slower, however I would suggest that we not take a whole day off in the middle, as it doesn't really give much option to visit non-wine places. So perhaps a half day off would be better. In addition, it is really really difficult to cost things out by having an option of not going the whole week, so while I think it is up to anyone if they don't want to join, from a financial perspective it becomes very difficult to make things "a la carte".

That being said, we overestimated the costs last time around, and I think we can keep costs relatively low again. The biggest cost is the meals and the transport.

Finally, one thing we can definitely make optional is to do a program in Paris for the weekend before, and I am more than willing to sponsor and organize that.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So it's the week of May 18th?
Does that work for you Stefan?
stefan

Post by stefan »

I'll arrange my work schedule accordingly.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Sounds like the week of May 18th is the week of BWE France '15!
Comte Flaneur

Re: BWE France '15: Week of May 18, 2015.

Post by Comte Flaneur »

OK so are we going to have a Committee meeting then and list the estates we want to see?
sdr

Post by sdr »

Wow, BWE 2015 Bordeaux. Sounds great. Looks like many of the 2005 veterans want to do it again. That dinner at Chateau Margaux will be hard to match, though.

I'd really like to do it, but my health is the question. Wife Kathy, probably not.

The week in May is not a problem for me.

Stuart
Michael-P

Post by Michael-P »

Lynch - a must
Fargues - would be nice
Pomerol - something of a decent level please....

Michael-P
stefan

Post by stefan »

La Lagune gets votes from Lucie and me.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Latour has been a BWE favourite over the years with Lafite or Mouton as options for 1st growth. Liked the more personalized feel we had at Margaux and many others last time in 2005 where we were made to feel like special guests rather than a corporate group visit.
Cos/Montrose in St Estephe
Leoville Barton to smell the roses and sample some wines. Always outperforms and has not got silly expensive
Ducru Beaucaillou as my wife's favourite memories in a bottle
St Emillion ?? could choose any number.... would also like to see a Derenencourt site in St Emillion or his own Domaine de l'A in ?Fronsac.
Pontet Canet and Lynch go without saying

Clustering visits to an area to limit driving from point to point a necessity in an air conditioned bus!
Danny
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

stefan wrote:La Lagune gets votes from Lucie and me.
a shocking request!
Carlos Delpin

Post by Carlos Delpin »

This is starting to get tempting...
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Join us Carlos!