Various Nebbiolos at Riverpark

jal

Various Nebbiolos at Riverpark

Post by jal »

Seven of us met at Riverpark on 29th street and the East River for dinner yesterday here are some quick notes

Flight 1:
2008 Giacosa Barbaresco Santo Stefano di Neive: Elegant and seamless, not a lot of oomph and surprisingly accessible. I love anything Giacosa tied for my #3 WOTN
2008 Proprieta Sperino Lessona: A lot of tar on the nose, dissipates quickly, fruit forward with a nice finish. A bit expensive for what it is.
1999 AR.PE.PE. Valtellina Superiore - Sassella Riserva Rocce Rosse: Wow nose, a little funk blows away quickly, I can't get past the V.A. others like it more than me.

Flight 2:
1990 Marchesi di Barolo Barolo Brunate: Funky and barnyardy on the nose, the wine is quite sour and finishes abruptly. Maybe a bad bottle?
1997 Ceretto Barolo Bricco Rocche Brunate: Beautiful nose of violets, seamless on the palate. Textbook Barolo in my opinion. Probably at its peak right now and will not improve much but very nicer at this point. Tied for my #3 WOTN
2004 Giuseppi Mascarello Barolo Monprivato: That's more like it! MY #2 WOTN, takes a bit to open up and goes great with the food (I had duck breast with lentils.) Fruit is bright, structure is sound, acidity in balance, finish is long. My type of wine

Flight 3:
2005 Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc: Sweet nose, sweet on the palate, hot on the finish. Sound structure and some people love it. Not my type
2001 Luciano Sandrone Barolo Cannubi Boschis: Also sweet on the nose and palate but more balanced than the Scavino. Carries its 14.5% alcohol well. Not my type but I can appreciate the effort
2008 Elio Grasso Barolo Gavarini Chiniera: My #1 WOTN! A great wine; wonderful floral nose, still some baby fat but surprisingly open and not overly tannic with some vibrant fruit, a balanced wine with layers of flavors and an elegant texture. Just wonderful.

An entertaining evening with some old Chappaqua friends and some new NYC arrivals. The food at Riverpark was great, the service excellent. I highly recommend the venue
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Re: Various Nebbiolos at Riverpark

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for that report Jal. i like Nebbiolo very much, unfortunately, MC don't like it very much. I have to drink 7/8 of the bottle when I open one at home, so I let them in the cellar, sleeping.

The 1962 Barolo at the Convention Friday night dinner, convinced me they can wait!

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jacques

Thanks for the notes. And thanks for the enablement.

Interesting that the Grasso romped it against such esteemed competition. I have heard great things about this somewhat under the radar producer.

I have had my eye on some of the Grasso 2006... This was the enablement I needed to pull the trigger. I bought this with some Brovia Ca Mia 2006 and some Marchesi Di Gresy Barbaresco Camp Gros 2001, financed by selling a case of Sassicaia 1996...I am much better off with the Piedmonts.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Spartacus-like, I'm real close to becoming a (part-time) New Yorker, Jacques, we'll have to drink some fine northern Mefics soon to celebrate!
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Thanks for the notes Jaques...Love Grasso...As Ian said the producer is under the radar now, and IMO soon will emerge at higher price points...Hoarded some 2010 Chiniera in a sale for low sixties at a local chicago store...
jal

Post by jal »

Ian and Chateauvin, Grasso was the surprise of the evening for me. I was sure the 2004 Monprivato would be my favorite and was hoping to like Scavino and Sandrone but that Grasso was just delicious.

By the way Ian, Pierre and Stuart both asked how you were and when are you coming back? You left quite an impression, my friend.

Jim, that's great news. It would be a pleasure, anytime.
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jacques, have you tasted the 2006 Elio Grasso Barolo Gavarini Chiniera? Is it worth a try at $87?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jacques

I hope to make it over next spring. It would be nice to have a reunion with the Monday Club!

stefan - that was the wine I purchased yesterday. I paid approx $75 a bottle. Here is a note:

5 cs (6x75) 2006 Barolo Garavini Chiniera, Elio Grasso - GBP 225 cs ib
'Grasso's 2006 Barolo Gavarini Vigna Chiniera is laced with racy, perfumed red fruit, flowers and minerals. The wine gains weight and depth in the glass as its energy and vibrancy take center stage. This is a supremely beautiful Barolo where expressive aromatics, generous fruit and silky tannins come together with unusual grace and elegance. Sweet, floral notes add a sense of lift on the finish. The 2006 is the best Gavarini since the 1989, and who knows if one day it might not match that legendary Barolo. Readers won't want to miss the sublime 2006 Gavarini Vigna Chiniera.' 95 pts AG
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Ian.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

I think 08 matches brilliantly with 06, atleast in the short term. When I tasted 06, it was a bit closed, but IMO it's got great depth and for the long haul. 08 was more expressive in terms of aromatics. But you can't go wrong with either of those...Pull the trigger professor...