Is a bottle of wine fattening?

JimHow

Is a bottle of wine fattening?

Post by JimHow »

Only 7,451 steps today per my iPhone app, well short of the recommended minimum 10,000.
That's 3.3 miles over 1:22 hours of walking.

So....
Not that I'm going to drink a whole bottle of 2009 Clos Lunelles tonight.
But if I were....
My pork chop has 239 calories, 143 from fat.
The French beans have 35 calories, 0 from fat.
The little French vanilla twirl pastry has 310 calories, 180 from fat.
Let's say half the bottle of Clos Lunelles....

Is this a "fattening" meal?
DavidG

Re: Is a bottle of wine fattening?

Post by DavidG »

USDA says wine has 100 cal/4 oz but of course that can vary widely depending on alcohol and residual sugar.

So 585 calories for the food plus 300 cal for a half bottle = 885 cal.
Normal intake is 1800-2000 per day but of course that varies by exercise, height, etc.
I don't think you can look at a single meal. You have to look at daily or weekly caloric intake and expenditure.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I think everyone who drinks wine on a regular basis wonders about caloric intake, health, and possible addiction...

When I'm just with the missus, we polish off a bottle together more often than not.

When I'm on my own, it's anywhere from a half to two thirds.

Medical research is contradictory about wine consumption. I tend to base myself on the way I feel, and to stop short of going too far - to listen to my body's needs, if you will.
And at my age, I'm not about to change.

- I'd rather drink no wine than bad wine
- In most instances, I'd rather drink no wine than too little wine (for instance, one glass with a steak is a crime in my opinion).

Best regards,
Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So it sounds like wine is fattening.
I remember Stuart once saying that wine is not fattening.
Why are the French so thin?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Anything that contains calories is "fattening", and someone of your size and activity is advised to live on the 1800-2000 calories/day you mentioned. Does wine provide enough benefits to justify the calories? Wine helps your circulation, cholesterol‎, and mental health. Up to half a bottle a day is probably health positive for most people; even cancer prone people like me. Drink your Clos Lunelles but cut the fat off your pork chop and don't eat all the whipped cream; you'll be way ahead in the game.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Only 7,451 steps today per my iPhone app, well short of the recommended minimum 10,000.
That's 3.3 miles over 1:22 hours of walking.

So....
Not that I'm going to drink a whole bottle of 2009 Clos Lunelles tonight.
But if I were....
My pork chop has 239 calories, 143 from fat.
The French beans have 35 calories, 0 from fat.
The little French vanilla twirl pastry has 310 calories, 180 from fat.
Let's say half the bottle of Clos Lunelles....

Is this a "fattening" meal?
IMO, yes and no depending on whether you had lunch and breakfast. But to me seems like a yes. Are you trying to lose weight? If so, just a tidbit of info...I run five miles a day for 4 to 5 days a week. With a speed of around 5 mph, just burn 600 calories!!! which is just about your meal you mentioned sans wine. If you had your breakfast and lunch, then without the 5 mile run, you are not being a rolling stone :lol:
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Everything that has any calories is (or can be) "fattening," as stefan says. If fact I like all his advice. If you want to drink regularly and maintain the same weight as not drinking at all, you'll have to make up the difference somehow by eating less or exercising more.

I am relearning that lesson now all over again. After a summer of no drinking (for medical reasons) where I lost 10 pounds I am starting to gain it back by drinking just a few glasses a week. And I run 15 - 30 miles a week. One of the problems I have is when I drink at all, I lose will power to moderate my food consumption for that meal.

Stuart
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I hope you're getting your health back Stuart.

Sounds like wine is fattening.

So it sounds like the French Paradox is moderation?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

My 2c

Never drink beer, and never snack in between meals...eat a Swiss breakfast of berries fat free yoghurt and oats...have one decent meal a day and drink a bottle of wine with it...take up a sport like road cycling. A one hour ride can burn 700-800 calories, which is more than a bottle of wine. Cycling is a great potential obsession, which can challenge wine appreciation, and provide a healthy offset.
Claret

Post by Claret »

How many calories in a Whoopie Pie? Ditch them for wine!
Glenn
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

I also strongly recommend vigorous lovemaking.

Alex R.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Claret wrote:How many calories in a Whoopie Pie? Ditch them for wine!
Sacrilege! Just ride the bicycle for an extra two hours. :D
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

I confess that like some here, I struggle with drinking more than I should. It's easier for me to have 'dry' nights vs. consuming in moderation, so on any given evening I typically either have no wine or drink a bottle ;-)

One good habit I have, which others have not mentioned, is to pursue not just cardio activity but more anaerobic activities. I manage to go to the gym just about every day. Apart from yoga, I do a lot of weight-training. The benefits of the weight training (especially relatively high-intensity, heavy weight and interval based training - jumping from one exercise to the next) is that I burn not just a lot of calories during the training session, but also a significant amount of calories later that day and even in subsequent days where by body has to 'repair' the muscle tissue and rebuild. This type of training also keeps one's metabolism higher for a much more extended period vs. cardio training. For example, say three hours after going for a five mile run, your metabolic rate is essentially back to normal again, but after a weight training session one's metabolic rate is significantly higher than normal and remains so for a very long time after the training.

Anyways, one can debate these things for a very long time and still have very different opinions, but I find my anaerobic activities keep me in much more trim shape than I would otherwise be in if I were doing just cardio :-)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Drink Champagne! It is 50 % gas!

With sushi, I opened a bottle of the inexpensive Gardet Premier Cru (60 % noir and 40 % meunier). Very zesty, medium body, bitterness, fruit. Not the most complex or rich, but drink very nicely.

Nic
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Nothing is fattening as long as u expend more calories than u consume