Denver and Region

dstgolf

Denver and Region

Post by dstgolf »

Can anyone offer suggestions as must sees in area. Restaurants?? Any BYOB? Staying between Denver and Boulder in Westminster for a few days and then moving dowtown for a meeting at the end of the week. Will have a car to get around. Only thing booked so far is to see the Avalanche play Florida Tuesday night. Wanted to see the Broncos play Sunday night but couldn't believe the crazy prices. $375 for the cheapest ticket in the upper decks. $9000/ ticket center field....are people mad and where does the money come from? Gotta be a cheaper way??
Danny
JCNorthway

Re: Denver and Region

Post by JCNorthway »

Stay in your hotel and watch them on TV. It will be warmer, you can drink whatever wine you want at cost, you will see more of the game, and you won't have to deal with the crazies. :)
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Maybe a local bar to see some crazies live!!
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Hmmm...

Right off, BYOB is a problem in Colorado. I've attended plenty of restaurant wine dinners, but they're either arranged by someone in the biz (which seems like it might be a special exemption) or on the sly through long patronage.

I'm a little out of touch on Boulder, but The Kitchen is worth a trip for modern-leaning cuisine with a farm-to-table bent and the wine list was interesting for not too many $$$. If money is no object (or you're on an expense account :mrgreen: ), the Flagstaff House has excellent food and is a place that truly deserves its Wine Spectator Grand Award for its wine list.

A similar distance from Westminster without going to Denver, 240 Union (the restaurant name and the address) in Lakewood has served us great meals for at least 20 years. Our son and his wife live nearby in Golden and this is their go-to "occasion" spot. It really is worth a visit.

If you want a mountain-man experience, The Fort in Morrison is always interesting. I recall Clinton hosting a G-6 (or 7, or 8) dinner here back in the day. The food is wild and woolly - still the only place I've had musk ox filet and reindeer rib roast! Regardless of the off-the-wall offerings, Elk St. Vrain is what you want - just killer! The wine list was really the destination 20 years ago, with first growths, Cheval Blanc and Petrus for 50% of retail, but those days ended after the G-# dinner.

Our daughter and her husband live in Denver, so we frequent restaurants within walking distance of their house when we're in the neighborhood, but nothing noteworthy foodie-wise in their 'hood at the international traveler level.

But that doesn't mean we never eat in Denver - I've been working there off and on for 25 years and we visit the area at least 4 or 5 times a year (and not always to drive up to the mountains to ski!) My go-to place is Barolo Grill (the owner shuts down for two weeks every summer and takes the staff to Italy!) with a great list of, you guessed it, Barolo! (And other Italian wines.) But I know that's not in your wheelhouse.

So my short list of other BWE-worthy Denver restaurants would probably include (in my "completely arbitrary" order of enjoyment/value/"it") North, Strings, Rioja, Table Six, and Colt & Gray (impeccable service!) which should get anyone through a week or two.

I'd probably go to the Wynkoop Brewery in LoDo to watch the Broncos game, but I really have no clue what other options exist. Colorado has an amazing brew-pub culture - when we're in Golden, we always end up in the yard at the Golden Brewery (Golden's second largest brewery ;) .) I'll bet your concierge could steer you to several places to enjoy a great draught should you find yourself craving a BWE-traditional "cleansing ale".

If you have free time, the Dale Chihuly Exibit at the Denver Botanical Gardens (through Nov. 30) will reassure you that the Dr. Seuss in all of us is alive and well -- simply captivating. Otherwise, just drive up into the mountains. The Estes Park entrance to Rocky Mountain National park is spectacular, and Breckenridge or even Vail/Beaver Creek isn't too long a drive from Denver.

Enjoy the sunshine, and don't be surprised if a single flight of stairs leaves you winded!

Tom
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Thanks Tom.

Just what I was looking for and I'll follow up with where we end up. Last time in Denver was an overnight from Beavercreek suffering from altitude sickness and in pulmonary edema. Thought I was going to die and ended up coming home with oxygen on the plane thinking it was over. What a releif when the plane landed in Chicago...when I could finally breath. Never cleared up for a few weeks. Shouldn't be a problem for me in Denver and as long as we get back down below 7500ft to sleep no issues hopefully.
Danny
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

LOL! Oxygen deprivation is no one's friend.

Go to the Chihuly exhibit at the Botanical Gardens. Seriously, it's that good.

PM me with the dates you'll be in Denver - we might be there at the same time...
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I live in Denver these days, so I might be of some help (though Tom's suggestions are pretty thorough).

BYOB is a problem in Colorado, unless you've real connections with a restaurant. It's taken me a while to break into this scene, but there are now a few establishments where I am a known entity.

BOULDER: For restaurants, I strongly second Tom's nomination of the The Kitchen (now also in downtown Denver and Fort Collins along with it's original venue in Boulder). Probably the most foodie-famous place in Boulder is Frasca (http://www.frascafoodandwine.com)- its menu and wine list are world-class and Italian-focused with an emphasis on the wines of Fruili. Frasca can be hard to get into, but parties of two often can get a last minute table. One of the owners at Frasca is a master sommelier and a dedicated marathon runner, fitting right into the Boulder profile. Across the street from Frasca is the nice, quiet, white-table-clothed l'Atelier with very nice French-themed food. Not sure if it still occurs, but many of the better places into Boulder used to have a half-price wine night (usually a Tuesday), and I got the 2000 GPL a few years ago off l'Atelier's wine list for something like $50. Bistro Q at the Hotel Boulderado is also another excellent choice.

DENVER: Here are some restaurants I heartily endorse: Il Posto (Italian, great energy and ambiance with a NYC vibe, meaning it is small and a bit loud), the Kitchen, Table 6 (terrific CIA-inspired food), Rioja (really good, but a bit off its game these days), Fruition (excellent continental-inspired food in a quiet venue), Osteria Marco (great pizza and salumi). There's tons of great eats in Denver, especially if you like Asian cuisine with lots of great Vietnamese (P-17), Sushi (Sushi Den), Thai (Swing Thai), etc.

Denver is a football town through and through, and it's all Broncos all the time during the Fall. When the Broncos are playing at home, Denver can get nuts with lots of paraphernalia and Ford Broncos (painted blue and orange of course) cruising the streets and everyone's dog dressed in a Broncos sweater. The traffic can be bad especially on the interstate as hoards converge from all points into town. We avoid downtown on home-game Sunday.

PM me if you'd like to organize something in Denver. I can rally a few of the faithful.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Blanquito,

Between you and Tom we have more than enough dining options and looks like the Botanical garden is a must visit.

Would love to get together in Denver. We're coming in next Sunday Oct 19 and leaving Oct 26 in morning. We'll be staying at the Westin in Westminster thru Thurs am then moving downtown Denver Thursday staying at Teatro hotel. Tied up Tuesday for hockey game and tentatively Friday for a dinner meeting. Sat 25th or other eve if more convenient. Maybe a little late to put something together but we've got a week and no issue to bring a few bottles to share.
Danny
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Tom In DC wrote: Go to the Chihuly exhibit at the Botanical Gardens. Seriously, it's that good.
Thanks for the heads up - went there today with my daughter and granddaughter. Love Chihuly (whimsy and flights of fantasy in glass) plus it's a great time of year to visit the Denver Botanic Gardens.

Haven't done much wine in the Denver area - I'm totally into the fabulous craft beer scene. My favorites are: Avery and Upslope in Boulder, Left Hand and Oskar Blues in Longmont and Odell's in Fort Collins.

Winona Chief
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Chris, good beer choices! Have you tried Epic's beers? They're new to Colorado. Also, Vine Street Pub is a terrific brew pub in Denver.

If you haven't yet, check out the truly micro-brewery scene the next time you're in Fort Collins. There is now like 6-7 brewery/brew pubs in town there that have a great vibe to go with some great beer.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Also Chris (or anyone else watching at home), if you happen to be in Denver on Oct. 25th, there's a wine dinner in the works for that night. PM me if interested.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Blanquito

Did a walking tour of the Fort Collins craft beer scene in early May 2013. Lots of great stuff but memory of just where we went is a bit fuzzy though I do remember I liked several of Odell's offerings. Pretty sure I've had a few (including Big Bad Baptist) from Epic. I know they had some on draft at Back Country in Boulder (tonight's watering hole). Need to consult with you to expand my beer horizons.

Heading back to DC tomorrow so I won't be around on the 25th. I'm out here a lot these days. With my daughter and her husband and an eleven month old grand daughter in Longmont, I've been in Colorado seven weeks in the last ten months. Love to join in with one of your future wine events - I'll be in touch.

Winona Chief
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Have fun. I should be back to Colorado in the mid-November time frame.

If you like beer, for future reference the Colorado Brewer's Rendezvous is held annually in July in Salida. You can sleep it off at my place.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

The week is more than half over and still going strong day and night. What a fabulous area. Maybe not for wine but site seeing/hiking and beer....not bad.

Trip up to Estes Park and through Rocky Mountain National Park along Trailridge road was breathtaking. Snow has come to the high country but they've kept the roads open. Elk are heavy into mating and mule deer aren't too shabby either. A must trip if in the area. Who would have thought we'd have to come to Colorado to see Alberta Falls!!

Trip to Mount Evans a letdown since Road up to the top closed Sept 15th...Highest road in USA up over 14000 ft. Echo Lake and drive along 103 gave beautiful view of the mtn though.

Red Rocks area beyond Evergreen into Morrison was beautiful they up to Lookout Mtn and into Golden but Coors plant tours closed down.

Denver Botanical Garden today by day and night. Much preferred the Chihuly works during the day. Night show OK but far preferred the gardens along with the glassworks. An amazing display and thanks Tom for the suggestion. Got some fabulous photos. Finished off the day at Barolo Grill and another big thank you. Food,service and wine list all top drawer.

Too bad my meeting starts Friday and touring over. Down to work now. A little fun lined up Saturday with Blanquito's gang getting together with us Saturday night for an 80's Bordeaux revival. Looking forward to it.
Danny
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

You are making me feel better. I was questioning the move to Hawaii in the weeks leading up to departure. Now I'm rueing returning, not because Colorado isn't one of the most spectacularly inhabitable places, but because the paddling/surfing/island lifestyle is at least the equal of that in society, aesthetic, not to mention fitness. They are about equal in terms of wine, although the Western Slope is producing decent syrah and cabernet. Interestingly a joint called Tedeschi Vineyards makes pretty good if herby/medicinal syrah on Maui (upcountry vineyards).