1998 Troplong Mondot

Nicklasss

1998 Troplong Mondot

Post by Nicklasss »

Last night, MC brother and parents stop for dinner. We had very nice steaks and a few bottle of wines. MC brother better half is of French origin, and when I ask her which wine she would like, she answered Saint-Émilion!

2012 Les Roches Sèche, Anjou : light cabernet franc, but full of typicity. Nose is not powerful, with minerals, rasberries and red berries. Mouth has something light vegetal, good core of cherries and rasberries, with very light green pepper ans soap. Very good starter. TN: 84.

2009 Côté de Jura, from (i have a blanc here...) : another bottle from that nice red. Pinot, trousseau ans poulsard, vinified all together. Nose is floral, red berries, something old like leather, light spices and more red berries. In mouth, light on it's feet, but punch correctly. Nice complex flavors of flowers, red berries, wood tones, with more fruit and acidity with spices on the long final. i like that. TN: 88-89.

1998 ChateaunTroplong Mondot: of course, more power on the color/nose/mouth than the previous. Dark, nose of dark berries, chocolate, dust stone, oak and spices. Very fragrant. In mouth, could take more years in the cellar, but the rich character of 1998 right Bank is there. Creamy, Black berries, spicy oak, dark rasberries flavors. Lot of ripe tannins, big mouth, some chocolate, more vanilla oak and dark plums on the final. The minerals are there too. My best bottle of that 1998 Troplong Mondot. I think i have one left, for in 10 years, i hope. TN: 93.

2013 Marcel Lapierre, Morgon : very good Gamay. All the little red fruits, spicy red licorice, cherries and very easy to drink! Medium body, medium length, a textbook Cru du Beaujolais nature. TN : 88.

2007 Château Cantegril : a very good Sauternes, super complex: acacia flowers, sweet citrus, mushrooms, oak, vanilla, peaches. In mouth, not the most thick or sweet, but very pleasing, with good character and light bitterness to go with the sugar and acidity. Apricots, botrytis, flowers and vanilla flavors. Can take more years. TN: 89-90.

A nice evening.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Re: 1998 Troplong Mondot

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Troplong Mondot is quite a controversial wine isn't it? Glad your 1998 was good Nic. I had the 1990 a couple of years ago and it was a horror show.
JimHow

Re: 1998 Troplong Mondot

Post by JimHow »

My one experience with 1998 Troplong Mondot a couple years ago led me to the conclusion that I need to uncork my one remaining bottle in about 20 years, if then.