TN: 5 various notes including a 1990 Carbonnieux

Harry C.

TN: 5 various notes including a 1990 Carbonnieux

Post by Harry C. »

• 1990 Château Carbonnieux - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (10/12/2014)
    Garnet with orange rim. Nose of tobacco, cedar and leather. Taste let this down a bit, thinner midpalate, lite aftertaste. 92 nose, 85 taste=88 (88 pts.)
  • 1999 Bernard Levet Côte-Rôtie La Chavaroche - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (10/10/2014)
    Garnet with slight darkening at the rim. Nose has clearly evolved since my last tasting 2 years ago. It proudly proclaims it's from Cote Rotie-bacon fat, berries and fresh herbs such as oregano. Taste was smooth, berries and fresh herbs. (93 pts.)
  • 2002 Bodega Numanthia Termes Toro Numanthia - Spain, Castilla y León, Toro (10/1/2014)
    Deep garnet. Nose was deep berries, bacon fat, fresh herbs such as oregano. (Yes I said bacon fat. Blinded I would guess Cote Rotie for this alone.) Taste was similar, no obvious heat, but for a short finish I would rate higher. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Aubert Chardonnay Larry Hyde & Sons - USA, California, Napa / Sonoma, Carneros (9/27/2014)
    green yellow. Nose of vanilla, pear, jasmine. Taste was similar and the bottle drained too fast. Best Aubert I've had in the past 2 months. (95 pts.)
  • 2009 Peter Michael Chardonnay Point Rouge - USA, California, Sonoma County, Knights Valley (9/26/2014)
    Green yellow. Nose initially was very shy, swirling only got some minerals, but with airing and warming, more citrus and pear, vanilla. Taste was in spades. Oily texture, pear, citrus, vanilla. Nose 93, taste 96, overall 95 (95 pts.)
I am way behind with TNs and if the health settles, I am definitely interested in Bordeaux 2015!
Tom In DC

Re: TN: 5 various notes including a 1990 Carbonnieux

Post by Tom In DC »

Thanks for the notes, Harry.

Is the Termes their high end wine? I don't think I've ever had the $$$$$ bottling, but I have enjoyed the $$ and $$$ offerings. The names are just not conducive to keeping track.

We need you at BWE 2015 Francais!
Harry C.

Post by Harry C. »

Tom, it was the Numanthia, the middle one. I find the Termes a good "spaghetti" wine. I have had only a few of the Numanthia and this one was good.
Michael Malinoski

Post by Michael Malinoski »

Thanks, Harry, I thought 2009 Aubert Hyde Vineyard was among the best Auberts I've had in quite some time. I'll post a note on it fairly soon, but glad to see that the 2010 seems to also be a real winner. Glad to see that site added to the Aubert portfolio...

Michael