Any one had Le Plus de la Fleur de Bouard

Chateau Vin

Any one had Le Plus de la Fleur de Bouard

Post by Chateau Vin »

Any one had Le Plus de la Fleur de Bouard from lalande Pomerol? I heard they also make another wine (may be second wine?). Any comments on these wines? How are they like and how do you like them?
Winona Chief

Re: Any one had Le Plus de la Fleur de Bouard

Post by Winona Chief »

These are both produced by Hubert de Boüard de Laforest of Angelus fame. I believe the La Fleur de Bouard is the regular release of the property and the Le Plus is their special selection wine. Had it a bunch of times and I really like the 2000 La Fleur de Bouard - it's in a nice place now. I know the 2000 Le Plus got very high scores from Parker but I don't think I've ever had it. I have tried the 2001 Le Plus and found it rich, dense. and concentrated but a bit heavy. I have more of both and will probably finish off my last few bottles of the 2000 over the next couple years while holding onto the 2001 Le Plus for four to six more years to see how it develops

Chris Bublitz
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

That 2009 La Fleur de Bouard was splendid. I have one bottle of the 2010 that I've been tempted to uncork ITNOS.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

JimHow wrote:That 2009 La Fleur de Bouard was splendid. I have one bottle of the 2010 that I've been tempted to uncork ITNOS.

The regular bouard is great quality for the price...i am not sure the plus is worth the xtra tariff...probably just higher extraction and longer oak treatment....i recently tasted the 07 la fleur bouard and it was drinking very nice
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

robertgoulet wrote:The regular bouard is great quality for the price...i am not sure the plus is worth the xtra tariff...probably just higher extraction and longer oak treatment....i recently tasted the 07 la fleur bouard and it was drinking very nice
No. They are completely different wines.

Le Plus... http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... d-le-plus/

La Fleur de Bouard... http://www.thewinecellarinsider.com/bor ... de-bouard/
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Yes, of course they are completely different wines, Jeff, but they're both Lalande de Pomerol's from Hubert de Bouard, right? We'd all agree that (maybe I'm out of date, but in my day) Bahans de Haut Brion and Haut Brion are completely different wines as well, yetworthy of discourse in the same sentence.

My first encounter with the "Plus" was a $200/bottle price for the 2000, just after I'd bought a couple of cases of the 1999 "Minus" ( ;) ) for maybe $14 per bottle. I must admit that I've never tried the "+" because I've never been presented with a bottle to taste gratis, and absent a point of reference for such a $$$ bottle, I'm going to spend my "big spend Bordeaux" dollars on classified growths (sorry,AlexR!) that have a track record.
Jeff Leve

Post by Jeff Leve »

Tom... I look at them as different wines because Le Plus comes from a different, specific terroir, the blend is always different and the winemaking and aging program are different.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Jeff Leve wrote:Tom... I look at them as different wines because Le Plus comes from a different, specific terroir, the blend is always different and the winemaking and aging program are different.
And this worth +180 $ per bottle? Personnally, To add "Le Plus" on the bottle is just to make you beleive you got " Plus", and that way selling it "Plus" expensive to you.

I remember in December 2012, when I was at Château Sociando-Mallet, Jean Gautreau explained to me that he was selecting his "x" favorite barrels, and bottle them under the name "cuvée Jean Gautreau", as a kind of limited special cuvée bottling for the Château. When I asked the price, he told me that "the special cuvée" was 2 euros more per bottle, just because it was having a bigger bottle and a different label. And specified that a producer that sells a spécial cuvée a 100$ more per bottle than the regular cuvée, is non sense versus production price, and it is what the consumers accept to pay, with what they imagine is right or more quality/rarety or other. Very instructive discussion.

Nic
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Maybe Mr. De Bouard is a kind of modern Robin Hood? Selling some especially expensive special cuvées, to use that extra income to promote unrecognized terroir to Premier Grand Cru Classé A?

Nic