So what have you bought lately?

Blanquito

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by Blanquito »

1982 Beychevelle, 1982 Canon, 1990 Talbot, 1995 Montelena Estate Cab, 2000 Montevetrano, 2009 Gloria, 2007 Elio Grasso Barolo Gavarini Vigna Chiniera
AKR

Post by AKR »

Some of those MacArthur's offers looked interesting.

I nibbled on a 2010 Guigal 'Brune et Blonde' Cote Rotie today

And I coaxed my SO to swing by the FedEx office to save me a trip, where she is grabbing some 2013 Cabs for me.

That's really where I should be focusing acquisition on.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

AKR wrote:
Comte Flaneur wrote:I was in Paris last Thursday, which afforded the excuse for a dash down to burgundy for a drive by/smash and grab/hit and run to fill my boots with a few cases of Daniel Rion Cote De Nuits Villages, various iterations of Nuits Saints Georges and Vosne Romanee and some Clos Vougeot and Echezeaux. I also brought some Anne Gros Haut-Cotes De Nuits, some Huddlot-Noellat Bourgogne rouge, some Comtes Lafon Macon and some Clotide Davenne premier and Grand Crus Chablis. All in all 87 bottles. Some of these are mid-week quaffers. Should keep the wolf from the door.
How do you, as a practical matter, schlep that vast amount of stuff back home? Are you taking it on the train?
Easy Arv - I put them in the back of my little pocket rocket, even with the bike. French car, which goes like a Porsche around the nurburgring, but has the load capacity of a family automobile.

Claret

Post by Claret »

What is your ride Ian?
Glenn
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Sweet wheels!
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

MacArthur's has become my "best wine store" in the US.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Claret wrote:What is your ride Ian?
That is a Cervelo R3 road bike and the location is Great Dun Fel in Cumbria in the North of England where I trained for my Mont Ventoux climb last year. The car is a RS Megane 2011. For many years it held the record for being the fastest 'hot hatch' around the Nurburgring.
AKR

Post by AKR »

I like French wine, but French machinery makes me suspicious. Especially cars.

We are on our families 6th Honda. I'd probably have a Honda tattoo if that was ok at the office (its not)

But I guess French cars are more cooperative carrying Burgundy.

In the US they mostly demand special spare parts, and mechanics who are far away.

(Great story in the NYT last year or so about an unrepentant Citroen owner who lived in Brooklyn
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2009 Chateau Fontenil
2008 Domaine de Pegau cuvée Laurence
2011 Chateau Lafaurie Peyraguey 375 ml.

Nic
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Now that I got my money back, courtesy PC debacle, I used the same to buy my son's birth year wines that I lost out from PC...

A bordeaux mixed case , all 2012 Vintage...

4 bottles of Montrose
2 bottles of Pichon baron
2 bottles of Pontet Canet
2 bottles of LLC
2 bottles of Figeac
stefan

Post by stefan »

CV, did you get a refund from your CC company? I sent mine 150 (sic) pages of documentation for my disputed charges. Now I have to send almost that many to the bankruptcy court. This is almost as painful as not getting the wine I bought from PC. For me the money is replaceable (being post retirement age, I just have to work an extra month or two), but the wine is not unless I devote a lot of effort and many more $$$ that I stand to lose from the bankruptcy.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Did you see the latest thing where one of their employees let them order $25,000 of wine on his credit card? Now he's a creditor. Absolutely unbelievable stuff going on here, there has to be a LOT more to this incredible story. I'm wondering if drugs were involved.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I saw that Jim, crazy stuff. Kinda sounds like they were "selling the fixtures" desperate towards the end. Other details emerging on the Berserkers site makes it sound like PC was scrambling for many years, where negociants in Europe would only work with them with 100% cash upfront paid in full, ITB folks saying checks has been bouncing for years in their BtoB dealings, etc. It must have been seriously ugly by the end, I'm kinda surprised Fox and Friends didn't flee the country before the day of reckoning arrived (suggesting that fhey were pretty much broke by the end, without a gold-plated escape hatch running to the Maldives).
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

stefan wrote:CV, did you get a refund from your CC company? I sent mine 150 (sic) pages of documentation for my disputed charges. Now I have to send almost that many to the bankruptcy court. This is almost as painful as not getting the wine I bought from PC. For me the money is replaceable (being post retirement age, I just have to work an extra month or two), but the wine is not unless I devote a lot of effort and many more $$$ that I stand to lose from the bankruptcy.
When I checked my books, PC owed me nearly $7000 worth of wine. I swapped nearly 1K worth (which I was happy with the swaps) and the rest I didn't swap as the stock they had was a piece of crap for me.

So I had two cards (One Visa and the other Amex) with 4.5K and 1.5K respectively. I had to fax the details to Visa as some charges were as far back as 2012 and for Amex, I just called and gave the details over the phone. In Visa letter, I had to explain about pre-arrival wines and why I could not file non-delivery of the merchandise within 90 days of purchase for the pre-arrivals. For Amex, I just explained the same over the phone. They just asked if I contacted them, etc. I mentioned how I contacted them repeatedly, the answers they gave and how over a period of time evaded the phone calls, the email chains I had from PC promising the arrival of containers, etc.

But anyhow, after may be 2 weeks and over a period of 10 days, both the cards have been refunding the amount and refunded pretty much everything PC owed to me (Amex also refunded the interest for the charges!!!), barring few hundred dollars yet to be addressed. I expect that to come through in the coming days...
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

JimHow wrote:Did you see the latest thing where one of their employees let them order $25,000 of wine on his credit card? Now he's a creditor. Absolutely unbelievable stuff going on here, there has to be a LOT more to this incredible story. I'm wondering if drugs were involved.
I should have listened to the lawyer and others in the forum when the suspicions were raised long back. Now a lesson learned, and I am fortunate to escape from this unscathed...I hope and sincerely wish the other BWErs come out of this mess also unscathed...
stefan

Post by stefan »

That is great, CV! Hope my CC company acts the same.
marcs

Post by marcs »

3*1996 Sociando Mallet (ex-negociant)
2*2004 Gruaud Larose
3*2006 Joguet Chinon Clos de la Dioterie
2*2011 Lagier Meredith Syrah
1*2012 Lagier Meredith Mondeuse

The '96 Sociando and 2004 Gruaud should be ready to roll so that's 5 bottles worth of cellar defenders when I have the Bordeaux itch...the Lagier Merediths probably should age another few years but are fruity enough to be delicious now...the 2006 Dioterie should be aged longer for that full right bank-style aged Cab Franc complexity but I think it wouldn't be a crime to have one now.
Last edited by marcs on Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Claret

Post by Claret »

I had a need for some whites so I picked up 2 bottles of 2014 Jo Landron Muscadet. They are the first French wines I have bought for a while. There is no substitute fro Muscadet.
Glenn
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I just bought a mixed case of Kiwis. Ostensibly this was to score very cheaply ($10-15) some quaffing whites from Hawkes Bay's (Havelock North) Black Barn Vineyards, which my wife really liked the whole range we had with small plates (I only had the red flight and their Bdx blend, Syrah and Montepulciano all seemed very fine and pretty serious). Of course my ulterior motive was to grab a couple Ata Rangi pinot noir (Suckster 98 points), which unfortunately I did not taste in situ as we arrived after the cellar door closed. To round out the sampler I added a couple of Otago pinots from Mt. Edward. This is for benchmarking somewhat as we did not go to South Island. BTW the Kiwi is 65 cents US and many of the more serious wines I sampled there definitely tasted 33% more expensive to me. Really good quality in the $10-45 US price range.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I am pleased to report in that I have purchased
- a half case (six) of Beychevelle 2005
- a half case of Leoville Lascases 2006
stefan

Post by stefan »

I bought a case of Champagne, mostly from Jacques Copinet, and various odds and ends. In Bordeaux I got '83 Ducru, '05 Giscours, '86 La Gurgle, '95 Canon, '97 De Fargues, '89 La Lagune.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Comte Flaneur wrote:I am pleased to report in that I have purchased
- a half case (six) of Beychevelle 2005
- a half case of Leoville Lascases 2006
If it's not too gauche, what's the 05 Beychevelle going for in the post-dragon global economy?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Blanquito wrote:Ian, what's the 05 Beychevelle run over there? It's gotten pricey here.
Crap, I'm repeating myself. Didn't even realize until I did a topic search!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

About $100 a bottle Patrick. The cheapest in the UK too. But I think it is exceptional. Already drinks well.

I also just bought a case of Cantermerle 1996 which I am sharing with MEK.

I tried it along side some tough competition - Langoa and Calon Segur 1996s - the Cantermerle just pipped them to the post.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Cantemerle is the real deal.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

This is all good. We have posts about what we are drinking, posts about what we are buying, and occasional inquiries/posts about what we think we might buy. How about a thread about what we are thinking about drinking? I have a couple of magnums I'm thinking about drinking. 1999 Lagrange (St. Julien), 2001 Cantemerle. I think I'll hold a mag of the 2001 Pontet Canet for another five years before thinking about drinking it.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Thanks (again), Ian. I saw how highly the 05 Beychevelle ranked in your most recent 'top wines' list on your blogspot, ahead of many famous wines. That really caught my attention.

I think the 96 Cantemerle is terrific as well, much better than some other vintages like the 2000. Has the added advantage of being fully ready to drink.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

AlohaArtakaHoundsong wrote:This is all good. We have posts about what we are drinking, posts about what we are buying, and occasional inquiries/posts about what we think we might buy. How about a thread about what we are thinking about drinking? I have a couple of magnums I'm thinking about drinking. 1999 Lagrange (St. Julien), 2001 Cantemerle. I think I'll hold a mag of the 2001 Pontet Canet for another five years before thinking about drinking it.
Magnums, like diamonds, are forever. I've had magnums of old wines that were fresh as a daisy when the 750s were dried up and OTH. But when to open if not a party?
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Right. And if it's not a party of winos, it's wasted.
AKR

Post by AKR »

A magnum is nice for 2 couples at a restaurant, especially if the venue only charges corkage by the 'bottle'.

We've done that sometimes, NB some higher end restaurants have caught on to that and now assess corkage by '750 ml'.

Mags are also useful when people are having a larger tasting dinner.

We have had maybe a 12-16 person couples dinner a couple of times, and each pair brought a mag.

Worked out well, no worries about pour size.
jal

Post by jal »

2011 Azelia Barolo Brico Fiasco
2011 Vietti Barolo Castiglione
2011 Solaia

All from Dan Posner at Grapes
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Some oldies, hopefully goodies:

1956 Gilette Creme de Tete
1947 Borgogno Barolo Classico Riserva
1947 Borgogno Barolo Riserva Cannubi

Passed on 2013 Screaming Eagle.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

5 bottles of the 2005 Beychevelle
4 bottles of the 1985 l'Arrosee
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jacques, have I been making a mistake by passing on the 2011 Barolos?
stefan

Post by stefan »

This past week I bought

2001 Lafaurie Peyraguey (1)
1996 Fontanafredda La Villa Barolo (2)
2012 Louis Max Saint-Romain (4)
2010 Corte Pavone Brunello di Montalcino (3)
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Recently bought the following...

2 bottles of 2003 Sociando in auction
2 splits of 2003 Pontet Canet at HDH
2 bottles of 2001 L Peyraguey

Some of the fellow BWErs are sort of disappointed how 2001 Sauternes vintage is putting a damper on the initial expectations everyone had, but when I saw them going for a song at 35 bucks at a local store, I couldn't resist... :roll: :roll:
jal

Post by jal »

stefan wrote:Jacques, have I been making a mistake by passing on the 2011 Barolos?
I don't know Stefan, I think most of the last ten years or so have been pretty good. The 2011s seem to be more fragrant and open for immediate business while the four or five previous years still need time. You like your wine with some age and secondary and tertiary flavor so for you the older wines may be the way to go.
I intend to drink my 2011 way before my 2004-2010
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

Thanks, Jacques. I am short on old Barolos, unfortunately. I drink some '04s and '07s even if they are, as you note, young.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Chateau Vin wrote:Recently bought the following...

2 bottles of 2003 Sociando in auction
2 splits of 2003 Pontet Canet at HDH
2 bottles of 2001 L Peyraguey

Some of the fellow BWErs are sort of disappointed how 2001 Sauternes vintage is putting a damper on the initial expectations everyone had, but when I saw them going for a song at 35 bucks at a local store, I couldn't resist... :roll: :roll:

Nice score on the Sauternes. I've been having some bottle variation on my 01 L-P's which have all been in my clutches since release. I don't know why.

I'm not that stressed about that since there are so many insanely good Sauternes vintages on the market currently, for a song. You paid less than I did EP !
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

jal wrote:
stefan wrote:Jacques, have I been making a mistake by passing on the 2011 Barolos?
I don't know Stefan, I think most of the last ten years or so have been pretty good. The 2011s seem to be more fragrant and open for immediate business while the four or five previous years still need time. You like your wine with some age and secondary and tertiary flavor so for you the older wines may be the way to go.
I intend to drink my 2011 way before my 2004-2010
I have had my reservations about the 2011 vintage which apparently was even hotter than 2009, but I really do appreciate the accessibility of these wines. So recently -

I bought 16 bottles of 2011 Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero at a very good price
I also got 12 bottles of the 2010 and 2 bottles of the 2011 Barolo Bussia Dardi Le Rose Poderi Colla / superb wine if you have not come across it
I am also picking up four bottles of 2011 Canonica Barolo which I am acquiring as a result of an administrative error when a wine shop over charged me.