So what have you bought lately?

Blanquito

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by Blanquito »

5 half bottles of the 95 Pichon Lalande
stefan

Post by stefan »

Jacques says the same, Ian. I have so much enjoyed most of the young 2010s I have drunk that I am happy to drink them now as long as I still have enough to drink when they are fully mature.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Not Bordeaux but a Cali blend. 5 bottles of 1995 Phelps Insignia.
stefan

Post by stefan »

4 2004 Domaine Robert Chevillon Nuits-St-Georges 1er Cru "Roncières"
4 2003 Gerard Raphet Morey-Saint-Denis 1er Cru "Les Milllandes - Cuvée Unique"
1 2012 Bouchard Père et Fils Chambertin-Clos de Bèze
2 2013 Joseph Faiveley Nuits-Saint-Georges 1er Cru "Les Pruliers"
1 1964 Ducru-Beaucaillou
Last edited by stefan on Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Some for laying down a while:

6 x Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero 2013 - with luck I will get 12
6 x Burlotto Barolo Acclivi 2013 - ditto

6 x Gangloff Cote Rotie La Barbarine 2013 (thinking man's La-La)
wine_drinker

Post by wine_drinker »

I just bought a case of 2005 Latour, eagerly waiting to dip into it in 10 years or so.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Mixed case of 2014's

- les Carmes Haut Brion
- Gloria
- Domaine de Chevalier Rouge
- Calon Segur

On another note: I recently opened another 2000 Lagrange and the inconsistency continues: day one reduced and disjointed; day 3 (left open, but corked on the counter) sings. Here's hoping my remaining 6 from the original case are more predictable.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Just arrived:
6 - 2010 Ch. Marsac Seguineau (Margaux)
4 - 2010 Ch. Du Moulin Noir (Montagne-St Emilion)
2 - 2010 Ch. La Cardonne (Medoc)

A week ago I picked up another bottle of 2003 Ch. Potensac in a mixed case with some daily drinkers, from my local favorite retailer.
A little pricey at $34+tax, but that's 15% off the shelf price and I know where it's been stored since release.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Shit, I think I should avoid reading that thread. It could damage my budget really quickly.

I've been raging buying a wine lately, I'll come back to it soon.

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A case of Clos St Martin 2007 for £165 in bond, about half that quoted on wine searcher

15 bottles of 1999 Marc Sorrel Hermitage Le Greal and six bottles of 1999 Marc Sorrel Hermitage

3 bottles of 1985 Fonseca
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A case of the 1989 Canon.

Not cheap, but the bottles look pristine, I love this chateau in the 80's (though I've never had the '89), and I find various CellarTracker notes on this wine irresistible (mostly DaleW and Salil's).
tim

Post by tim »

Nada. Rien. Nothing. It is exhilarating!
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Blanquito wrote:A case of the 1989 Canon.

Not cheap, but the bottles look pristine, I love this chateau in the 80's (though I've never had the '89), and I find various CellarTracker notes on this wine irresistible (mostly DaleW and Salil's).
Let us know what you think of it. I love the 89's for the most part except for a Branaire that I had not too long ago. It could have been storage, just a mess.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Will do, Gerry. FWIW, I've had the 89 Branaire 4-5 times over the last 10 years and I've always found it at least good.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Will do, Gerry. FWIW, I've had the 89 Branaire 4-5 times over the last 10 years and I've always found it at least good.
Say What? "At least good" is HARDLY a ringing endorsement of a wine at that price.
stefan

Post by stefan »

2 2005 Alex Gambal Volnay 1er Cru "Santenots"
1 2005 Domaine Ballot-Millot Volnay 1er Cru "Santenots"
1 2005 Domaine Ballot-Millot Volnay 1er Cru "Taillepieds"
1 1999 Tardieu-Laurent Hermitage
1 1997 Climens, Barsac
1 2005 Doisy-Védrines, Sauternes
1 2005 Rabaud-Promis, Sauternes (375ml)
1 2012 Domaine Philippe Colin Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru "Chenevottes"
1 1979 Palmer, Margaux
1 1996 Suduiraut, Sauternes
1 1997 Suduiraut, Sauternes
1 2001 Suduiraut, Sauternes

Those are for our fall in the bay area. Today maybe I'll buy some Israeli wine for drinking in the next few weeks.
Last edited by stefan on Thu May 11, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

tim wrote:Nada. Rien. Nothing. It is exhilarating!
My name is DavidG and I have wine buying disorder. It's been 167 days since I last bought a bottle of wine.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Stop reading that thread David, or you're about to fail.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

tim wrote:Nada. Rien. Nothing. It is exhilarating!
Tim, didn't you mean depressing rather than exhilarating?

Come on, David; you are a young guy. Don't risk running out of wine before your time comes. That would be even worse than running out of money. I mean, you can always convert wine to money, but buying wine ready for drinking in the near term is both difficult and expensive.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nicklasss wrote:Stop reading that thread David, or you're about to fail.

Nic
Nic, it's the "Deals" thread that is dangerous. If I fold, it's all Arv's fault.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

2012 Chorey les Beaune François Gay
2014 Syrah Vin de pays de l'Aude from the French actor Pierre Richard.

Nic
wine_drinker

Post by wine_drinker »

I bought 1 case of 2016 futures, Branaire Ducru, for $52.50/bottle. Not the lowest price on wine-searcher, but nearly the lowest.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A few bottle of... Let say... That I've been influenced... But it is from my fav aoc... In 2009.... 100 Parker points... And I liked the 1989-1995-1996-2000-2001-2002-2003-2008 in the past... Ah well it is too late to go back....

Nic
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Nicklasss wrote:A few bottle of... Let say... That I've been influenced... But it is from my fav aoc... In 2009.... 100 Parker points... And I liked the 1989-1995-1996-2000-2001-2002-2003-2008 in the past... Ah well it is too late to go back....

Nic
Hmmm... Looks like Poyferre....Eh?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Chateau Vin wrote:
Nicklasss wrote:A few bottle of... Let say... That I've been influenced... But it is from my fav aoc... In 2009.... 100 Parker points... And I liked the 1989-1995-1996-2000-2001-2002-2003-2008 in the past... Ah well it is too late to go back....

Nic
Hmmm... Looks like Poyferre....Eh?
Pontet Canet?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You got it Chateau Vin. My fav aoc is Saint-Julien (my son first name is... Julien). Léoville Poyferré 2009 made the way to my wine reserve.

It was a good guess too Comte. I have one lonely bottle of the 2009 Pontet Canet. But when we taste it in 2015 at the Chateau, I thought it was the best young wine I ever had (ex aequo with 2003 Montrose I had at the Chateau in 2004 in company of a certain AlexR). Unfortunately, unavailable anymore here the 09 PC.

Nic
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Nicklasss wrote:You got it Chateau Vin. My fav aoc is Saint-Julien (my son first name is... Julien). Léoville Poyferré 2009 made the way to my wine reserve.

It was a good guess too Comte. I have one lonely bottle of the 2009 Pontet Canet. But when we taste it in 2015 at the Chateau, I thought it was the best young wine I ever had (ex aequo with 2003 Montrose I had at the Chateau in 2004 in company of a certain AlexR). Unfortunately, unavailable anymore here the 09 PC.

Nic
I knew your favorite aoc is st julien as you mentioned it in other threads. Once I knew this, it was easy as parker assigned perfect score to only one chateau, poyferre, in 2009.

I don't have 100 pointers of 2009, other than lone bottle of Pontet canet, and another lone bottle of 99 pointer troplong. But I do have half a case or more (couple of chateaux) each of Sociando, calon segur, lynch bages, gpl, gruaud larose, Giscours, rauzan segla, Cantemerle, nenin, clos del oratoire, etc. Other notables: Couple of bottles here and there include leo barton, brane cantenac, d'issan, cantenac brown, DDC, Armailhac, haut batailley, Pichon baron, etc...

My favorite aoc is Pauillac, and I wish I had duhart and a bit more of PC and PB...
Last edited by Chateau Vin on Sat May 13, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I thought the 2010 Pichon Baron we had later that week may have been the best young wine I've ever had.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

One of the best young wines I have ever had so far --- 09 pichon baron
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I thought I was getting a bottle of 2008 Rauzan Segla at a great price - $46.
However, Budget Bottle shipped a 2012 Segla. Rather a disappointment, considering.
I went back to the online store and discovered that, in spite of the name shown being Rauzan Segla, the bottle picture was of the second wine.
I had specified No vintage substitutions, but that was ignored even though it had been underlined on the packing slip.
Another problem with the order include shorting me one bottle of 2011 Greysac because they only had one, but didn't bother notifying me.
So instead of selling me 12 bottles they only sold 11. If they had contacted me I might have added something else. Their loss.
I also noticed a website price reduction of $1 per bottle of 2011 Larose Trintaudon since my order was placed only 2 weeks ago.

I called and threatened to have them take the order back unless they would give me free shipping on a subsequent order. ($23 value)
The manager agreed, so now I have to fill up a case at a store where I don't find a lot of wine I want at favorable prices.
They only have 46 Bordeaux listed, and most of those are uninteresting to me.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer Chris - I don't think doing MORE business with a store with either sloppy or unethical business practices makes sense, or incentivizes them to improve.

I think you should have requested a cash adjustment for whatever a reasonable person would consider as a fair differential between 08 RS vs 12 Segla. (FWIW you can sometimes get 12 Rausan Segla at TW for $50ish with all the coupon discounting craziness they do). In general I do not think that when a professional wine shop confuses the grand vin with the deuxieme that its a defensible mistake, nor when a sommelier does that. My belief is that is done to take advantage of remote or clueless customers.

If they would not agree to a simple price adjustment, you can fall back on 'I didn't order it take it back and refund me the whole price'

Of course that means that one would likely never expect/want to do a biz with that store again, as normal enterprises then put that customer on their No Fly list.

Personally, my long run average rate of order 'problems' tends to be 1-2%, ignoring corked/tainted wines. Some of the time they can be fixed, other times a price adjustment is made, and in rare cases I just let my hair turn gray, and give up, weighing whether the vendor should be simply cut off. I am a meaningless customer to everyone I patronize, as well, so I can't huff and puff and wave my arms around*. I'd also observe that errors can be bilateral, and work in ones favor, and I generally fix those too. I've sent back full cases of 2000 Cheval Blanc and 2000 LMHB in the past. One time, I only discovered that I'd been shipped a Crème de Tete level wine (instead of the lower level base bottling) maybe 5-10 years after purchase, as the label difference is minute, and I wasn't familiar with that rarity. In those cases not much one can do.

Good luck.

* I save that for whatever new outrage my GSD puppy has created
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote:Racer Chris - I don't think doing MORE business with a store with either sloppy or unethical business practices makes sense, or incentivizes them to improve.
Yeah,
this was only my second purchase from them. I don't recall any trouble with the first order, but this one had several issues, including 2 weeks between ordering and shipping, with no contact made to explain the changes they made to my order.
Next month I'll see if I can use the shipping discount to my advantage, and be done with them completely.
At least the Segla price is in line with the CT community average, although it isn't a wine that would ever be on my wish list.
And to be fair, I knew the price was incredibly low for '08 RS. If I had noticed the bottle picture didn't match I wouldn't have even put it in my cart.
AKR

Post by AKR »

It is a good price, but not an obvious mistake price which a store could try to argue should have been obvious

http://www.bordeauxwineenthusiasts.com/ ... gla#p50140
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Not proud of it, but I yesterday I bought a few bottles of the 2012 Domaine de la Mordorée La Reine des Bois. I had a weakness.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I would not be proud either
stefan

Post by stefan »

3 2008 Fallet-Dart Vintage Brut Champagne
1 1999 Vieux-Château-Certan, Pomerol
1 Franck Bonville "Belles Voyes" Brut Blanc de Blancs Champagne
1 2006 Camille Giroud Latricieres-Chambertin Grand Cru
1 2006 Camille Giroud Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru

We have so much wine that I am used to buying for drinking at some indeterminate time in the next 20+ years and usually buy only when I get a great deal. It is different buying wines for drinking in the fall. I have pressure to buy and so am less concerned than usual about getting a good price and I ignore anything I see that is not drinkable now. Well, the Giroud I just bought might be ten or twenty years too young, but I could not pass these up. We'll try the Charmes and if it is way too young for us, the Latricieres will go with us back to Texas in December.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Stefan,

As Camille Giroud wines are available in Québec, and the fact that I don't know that producer, would you say it a good, very good, excellent or great producer?

Nic
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Have quite a bit of experience with Camille-Giroud and bought quite a few 2006s and 2007s after a visit in 2012. They are delicious wines made in a modern style, and drinking really well now. Especially the 2006 Charmes. Sure they will age but they are high in accessibility.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Modern style? Then Giroud has completely changed its style since I drank Girouds. But that is good news for drinking these soon.

So I don't know, Nic. We'll see.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Picked up a few this past week:

1990 Pichon Baron
2001 La Clusiere
2008 Louis Carillon Puligny Montrachet Les Perrieres
1986 Laurel Glen