So what have you bought lately?

OrlandoRobert

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Grabbed some of the Board fave, Sociando Mallet, from the 2015 vintage in 375s
sdr

Post by sdr »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Funny you guys should mention I bought 2 x 6 packs of 2008 Cristal a couple of weeks ago. I paid £950 per 6, but my hope is that, in time, I can sell one to finance the consumption of the other case. The 1996 is over £500 a bottle, and the 2008 vintage is definitely as good as the 1996 according to the Cristal cognoscenti.

Count me a fan of the 2008 Cristal. Delicious already and not too sweet as some earlier vintages could be. Best previous vintages of Cris for me were ‘90, ‘95 and ‘96, the later two still marvelous.

Stu
Last edited by sdr on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

OrlandoRobert wrote:Grabbed some of the Board fave, Sociando Mallet, from the 2015 vintage in 375s
2015 was a riper year, so I'm anxious to hear if it's Alfert-approved. I have a bunch of the 2014 S&M on the way.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Are we buying the 08 champagne hype? I’m hearing best-since-1996.

Prices for bubbly are much, much better in Europe. I might have to bring some back.
jal

Post by jal »

Blanquito wrote:Are we buying the 08 champagne hype? I’m hearing best-since-1996.
I don't know about best since.... Does that matter?
I had 3-4 different 2008 Champagnes and they were all great. OTOH I like my Champagne young so not the best judge.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

The hell with buying the hype, I’m buying the Champagne!

Seriously, the 2008 Dom and Cristal are both fantastic. And I usually don’t like young Dom. Not sure what that means about how it’ll age. I can’t comment on others as I haven’t tried them.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The hype is much cheaper.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I’ll probably get some Taittinger Comtes when available. Maybe some Clos des Goisses. Salon is now above my pay grade. Maybe Krug depending on cost.
jal

Post by jal »

DavidG wrote:I’ll probably get some Taittinger Comtes when available. Maybe some Clos des Goisses. Salon is now above my pay grade. Maybe Krug depending on cost.
I think the Krug NV 167 is stunning. Apparently it's mainly from 2011 but I found it as good as the 2008 Dom.
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I am still a big fan of Pol Roger, but Taittinger is my favorite big house bubbly especially once price is factored in.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Yup, Pol Roger is another, but I think the Winston may have pushed past my QPR limit.
jal

Post by jal »

I haven't bought Pol Roger in years. The last time I got one, maybe 5-6 years ago, it was different, a bit sweeter than I remembered.

I like Agrapart les 7 Crus (a BdB) for house bubbly and occasionally Bollinger Special Cuvee Brut and Pierre Peters BdB.
Best

Jacques
sdr

Post by sdr »

It appears 2008 is indeed really good. And some are drinking really well already.

The PR Winston is very good but at least at this point doesn’t have the wow factor of older mature Winston vintages. Can’t tell if it will get richer and deeper.

It’s nice too see a wine category such as champagne that overall is probably at its best point ever and still improving. The emergence of innumerable small grower champagnes being imported into the US is a big plus, too, although with just a few exceptions, I am not enamored of them.

While not that cheap, champagne even at the high end is much more reasonably priced than comparable wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy and Napa.

Stu
jal

Post by jal »

sdr wrote:
While not that cheap, champagne even at the high end is much more reasonably priced than comparable wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy and Napa.

Stu
And exempt from tariffs!!
Best

Jacques
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

sdr wrote:It appears 2008 is indeed really good. And some are drinking really well already.

The PR Winston is very good but at least at this point doesn’t have the wow factor of older mature Winston vintages. Can’t tell if it will get richer and deeper.

It’s nice too see a wine category such as champagne that overall is probably at its best point ever and still improving. The emergence of innumerable small grower champagnes being imported into the US is a big plus, too, although with just a few exceptions, I am not enamored of them.

Stu
Couldn’t agree more — except that I’m a bigger fan of a good number of grower bubblies. K&L has a big selection of these, often moved through their discounting program, so quite affordable. eg I got the 2012 F Bonville BdB for $35, outstanding stuff.

Champagne is such an exciting wine region these days and it does offer terrific values. I mean, Dom Perignon costs less today in real dollars than it did 30 years ago.
Frederico

Post by Frederico »

3x Carlisle Papa's Block Syrah '17
1x Carlisle Papers Ranch Zinfandel '16
1x Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru Millésimé '09
brodway

Post by brodway »

12 2016 Lanessan 16
12 2016 Meyney 33
6 2016 Bellefont Belcier 35
6 2016 Badette 29

starting to stock up on several 2016's. for the most part they are priced similar to en premieur
stefan

Post by stefan »

Gosh, a currently drinkable (according to Jacques) Lanessan from a good vintage for $16! I must try it.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I tried the 2016 Lanessan last month and likewise give it two thumbs up.
I too thought it was very drinkable but then again, that's my palate.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

At the moment I'm in a quandary about making an online purchase today at the West Hartford Total Wine & More. I've already spent my entire budget for the year, but I would like to take advantage of a Flash Sale 5% additional discount to get 2 or 3 Mags of Echo de Lynch Bages. The magnum price is favorable compared to the 750ml price (71.98 vs 40.48). I don't have any magnums and was recently thinking it would be nice to have a couple on hand.
My price will end up at $67.98 per, which makes it hard to pass up.
But of course to get the extra 5% I have to buy 8 or more bottles that meet the restrictions. That puts me at an uncomfortable level for the current credit card billing cycle. Hence the quandary.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Is Echo a "must have" wine?

I've never had it.
Isn't everything Lynch Bages overpriced these days?

Neil Martin's 89-91 point note:

The 2016 Echo de Lynch Bages is a blend of 73% Cabernet Sauvignon and 27% Merlot, representing about one-third of the total production. It has a clean and precise bouquet, very polished and developing crushed violet scents with time. The palate is medium-bodied with quite crunchy, firm tannin on the entry. Quite saline in the mouth, masculine and grippy with just a little toughness on the finish that should mellow by the time of bottling. Best give this Deuxième Vin a couple of years in bottle if you can.
marcs

Post by marcs »

That's a lot of Echo de Lynch Bages, more than I would want to own frankly. I'd rather have a first wine like Meyney for a comparable price. Or fewer bottles of a better wine. That's just me though.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I wouldn't call it a "must have wine" Jim, but I drank two 750ml bottles of the 2014 in the past month and decided it was an excellent wine with characteristics I enjoy, and with decent QPR at the price available to me. The 2014 magnums represent even better QPR at the sale price, especially since I already know I like the wine. I'm not planning to age the 2 other 750s I have but the Mags I might hold onto until they hit 10 years of age.
I have two cases of 2014 Meyney in my cellar Marc, and I've already consumed 6 more. I would say it may be a little better than the Echo, but not by much.

I've been very happy with all the "second wines" I've had from the 2014 vintage. Not priced quite as favorably as Meyney or Labegorce but certainly in the right ballpark.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

So I bought two of the 2014 Echo de Lynch Bages magnums as well as two each of 2015 Lilian Ladouys, 2014 Sarget de Gruaud Larose. To make it 8 bottles and keep my overall cost down I added a couple 2016 Muirwood Sauvignon Blanc, an inexpensive yet serviceable dry white. All in, with sales tax, it was only $280.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Chris, I fully agree that anytime a larger format bottling is line priced with its 750ml sized sibling it represents a worthwhile contemplation, but when it’s priced less like in your case, I think you have to pull the trigger and take advantage of the pricing irregularity.
jal

Post by jal »

No argument about the value, but I have some doubts about how well second wines age. I, personally, would not keep those for more than two years. In other words, I have had no luck blanquitoing second wines.
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I think the last time I bought a magnum of wine I was less than 21 yo. It would have been Reunite at that time.
jal

Post by jal »

Racer Chris wrote:I think the last time I bought a magnum of wine I was less than 21 yo. It would have been Reunite at that time.
On ice?
So nice....lol
Best

Jacques
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Gilles Barges Côte Rotie Cuvee Duplessy 2001 x 6
Produttori del Barbaresco, Barbaresco 2016 3x6
stefan

Post by stefan »

For our Texas home:

2 2014 Grand Corbin Despagne 34.59
2 Gosset Grand Reserve 52.89
Vazart Coquart Bl de Bl 42.59
6 2009 Pol Roger 93.99
4 2012 Pontet Canet 99.74
2 Clos de L'Oratoire 39.29
4 2014 Pichon Lalande 113.59
1 2007 Marniquet Brut 56.99
1 2010 L. Roederer Bl de Bl

less 5%
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Picked up a 1989 Ch Pichon Lalande from Cellaraiders yesterday for $189. One of my favorites and try to pick it whenever I can for under $200. The prices have been slowly creeping on this over the last year.
AKR

Post by AKR »

jal wrote:No argument about the value, but I have some doubts about how well second wines age. I, personally, would not keep those for more than two years. In other words, I have had no luck blanquitoing second wines.
Kind of by a quirk - in the last year or so - we've had the 86 deuxieme of Lynch Bages (called Haut Bages Averous in that era) as well as its grand vin although not side by side.

Maybe its made differently/better today, but I'd be leery of thinking that particular second wine can really age, even if in a large format bottle. The 86 HBA didn't have much depth. And I seem to remember having various other examples (young) during the 90's that were similar.

Seconds like Les Forts age wonderfully though.
jal

Post by jal »

Castello di Neive Barbaresco 2016 × 6 ($29.00 ea.)
Clos Petit-Corbin St. Emilion Grand Cru 2016 × 2 ($35.00 ea.)
Vincent JM Bourgogne BL 2014 $26.00
Domaine de Montille Bourgogne Rouge 2016 $28.00
Best

Jacques
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I just got 4 more bottles of 2008 Cristal for $769 with gift cards, last day on sale.
Baby doll!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

BD is on a roll...

...my latest purchase 6 x 2016 Lagrange St-J
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

In tax free New Hampshire, baby.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Would you put them on the rack with or without the wrapping?
Attachments
IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3114.jpg (140.58 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Great price on the Cristal! If the light is always on in the cellar and the bottles are exposed, I’d leave the wrappers on. They are for UV protection. If it’s almost always dark down there or if the bottles are buried, it doesn’t matter.
brodway

Post by brodway »

Stefan

Its nice to have 2 homes. Your purchasing is justified by making sure both homes are well stocked

Good to see you still popping the corks off them ole bottles
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

With all this talk about the 2016 Ch Gloria I felt compelled to pick up the last 6 bottles at my local Costco this past week @ $46/btl.