Post by stefan »

3 1995 Lagrange @ $80
1 2005 Lauferie-Peyraguey @ $60
1 2005 Chauvin @ $50
1 2007 Rieussec @ $50
Blanquito

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by Blanquito »

I’ve bought no wine of any kind for 2 weeks, and I feel fine.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote:I’ve bought no wine of any kind for 2 weeks, and I feel fine.
Please teach me your ways sir. Its a miracle if I even go a Sunday without buying some auction wine.
stefan

Post by stefan »

The blanquito lies in wait for the unsuspecting prey, ready to pounce at the slightness show of weakness.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:The blanquito lies in wait for the unsuspecting prey, ready to pounce at the slightness show of weakness.
Like a little white jungle cat, am I! Let no Magdelaine go un-stalked, un-hunted, un-won.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Nothing new here. Been 5 weeks since I bought anything. Total for the year 3 bottles 80s Bordeaux, 3 bottles Champagne and 5 half bottles of Champagne.

Chris Bublitz
stefan

Post by stefan »

1 1978 Pape Clement @ $73.50

I finally won an auction by bidding on a wine that no one else wanted, probably because The Bob gave it 72 points. I love 1978s and have never tasted this wine and 1978 is my daughter's birth year, so I thought, "why not; it comes out of her inheritance anyway". We'll suffer through this Pape Clement with her if and when we can visit CA. Her husband loves to complain when I open an old bottle that is not very good, so he'll get some pleasure from the Pape Clement even if it is as bad as Parker says. Incidentally, his birthday is this coming week, and I am sending him three bottles that both he and my daughter will enjoy a lot.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 78 Domaine de Chevalier rouge and 78 Haut Bailly are both really great, so that’s a good sign for Graves in that year, Bill.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

stefan wrote:1 1978 Pape Clement @ $73.50

I love 1978s and have never tasted this wine and 1978 is my daughter's birth year, so I thought, "why not; it comes out of her inheritance anyway".
What a great line … :lol:
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Gerry M. wrote:
JoelD wrote:Costco just got in some Malescot St Exupery 2016 for 59.99, bought a few, and some for friends but may have to go back for more. Has anyone tried one of these yet? Should I commit infantcide?
Joe, I'm wondering where you live, seeing this post. The Costco in Nashua NH has Malescot for the same price and I also picked up a few bottles. I haven't popped one yet and I'm trying to hold off as long as I can, lol.
Gerry, I am in the northern VA area, outside of DC. I would bet that Costco gets similar deals offered at least regionally, or East Coast. They also had the Tour Saint Christoph 2016 for 27. It went quickly in march, but they appear to have refilled.

I haven't popped any 2016's yet except for Capbern a few times. Trying to hold off too, however all of Jim's post are making me want to try a few and buy more!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

It is our 2017 Bourgogne offer here. Prices are high. I put an order on some bottles (Raveneau, DRC, Matrot/Jadot whites) but the number of bottles availablevare so low (example 6 bottles of Raveneau Valmur, for the entire population of Québec). Will confirm Wednesday what i'll get. I will surely have minimum 2 bottles of Pavelot Savigny les Beaune, but what else?

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

DRC?
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

You're kidding Jim? You don't know Domaine Rory Culkin? Brother of Macaulay...

Nic
AKR

Post by AKR »

While at Trader Joes today, I saw one last/lone bottle of the 2016 Cantemerle for $35, so I bought that. A fair enough price all things considered, given that I didn't have to pay shipping.

I quite enjoyed a floral 83 we had of that a while ago.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Blanquito wrote:Took delivery today of the last shipment of my wine buying career.
Update: I've bought no wine since 4/18/20, haven't even been tempted except by Beaujolais (I'm returning my BWE credentials to Jim as I type) . BUT, it is very clear that I will need more dry white and champagne soon*, especially as it looks to be shaping up as a hot summer in Denver.

My solution will be to essentially trade red wine, which I clearly overbought, for white wine by selling red at KL auction and using the store credits to secure more whites, thus reapportioning my cellar while keeping my bottle count constant. Wine buying with a clean conscience.

*My spreadsheet says I have a little less than 4 years of dry white wine and champagne left, at current rates on consumption. !Red Alert!
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good decision, Patrick, not to receive auction proceeds to avoid the 25% capital gains tax on the gain.

But I do not believe that you will buy less than you sell unless cover-19 scrambles blanquito's brain.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Stefan, I do think COV19 is part of the phenomena here, but overall it’s shaping up as the perfect storm...

-lockdown is a drag and one of my main inspirations for buying more/new wines — wine gatherings and offlines — are on hold
-the increased risk of insolvency for wine retailers combined with no shipping temps until November = not worth buying and holding to ship for the next few months
-basically zero great local wine shops
-the essential morbidity of my once favorite wine buying outfit, Winebid
-a full cellar
-risk of financial hardship or ruin if the economic fallout deepens
-a virally-induced sense of ennui
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote:
Blanquito wrote:Took delivery today of the last shipment of my wine buying career.
Update: I've bought no wine since 4/18/20, haven't even been tempted except by Beaujolais (I'm returning my BWE credentials to Jim as I type) . BUT, it is very clear that I will need more dry white and champagne soon*, especially as it looks to be shaping up as a hot summer in Denver.

My solution will be to essentially trade red wine, which I clearly overbought, for white wine by selling red at KL auction and using the store credits to secure more whites, thus reapportioning my cellar while keeping my bottle count constant. Wine buying with a clean conscience.

*My spreadsheet says I have a little less than 4 years of dry white wine and champagne left, at current rates on consumption. !Red Alert!
Blanquito is my new favorite BWE'er. At least on the forum. Jim is 1B with his new pot stirring posts.

PS. What exactly does it mean to Blanquito a wine? I assume this has something to do with air/decanting
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JoelD wrote:PS. What exactly does it mean to Blanquito a wine? I assume this has something to do with air/decanting
I can't take any credit for coining the phrase (and I don't recall who did, but I know Nic was the first to call out the pattern), but when a president is running for re-election, his partisans always cheer "Four more years!". When someone wants to open a young* Bordeaux, Blanquito always jeers "Give it 5 more years!"

*Of course, "young" is in the palate of the beholder, and I find most vin garde claret from 1995-present "not ready for primetime" or "not at peak". But then, what I cherish about wine and Bordeaux in particular is the complexity, nuance and suavity it attains by being just plain old. This usually means waiting 25-30+ years (but I have my well-established doubts that modern Bordeaux will develop and keep like the pre-1991 wines have).
Last edited by Blanquito on Wed May 06, 2020 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

In contrast to "Blanquitoing a wine" (i.e. not touching another bottle for at least 5 years because it's too damn young), to "How a wine" (so named for our fearless leader) is to drink it when it is young and brutish and all its youthful vigor is on full tongue-staining display.

Finally, when a wine attains Howquito (being neither too young nor too old, but just right), a singularity in the spacetime continuum is formed and an all-too-short spiritual transcendence settles over the wine world, leaving BWE and our fellow wine brethren in a near-mystical state of calm and contentment.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote:In contrast to "Blanquitoing a wine" (i.e. not touching another bottle for at least 5 years because it's too damn young), to "How a wine" (so named for our fearless leader) is to drink it when it is young and brutish and all its youthful vigor is on full tongue-staining display.

Finally, when a wine attains Howquito (being neither too young nor too old, but just right), a singularity in the spacetime continuum is formed and an all-too-short spiritual transcendence settles over the wine world, leaving BWE and our fellow wine brethren in a near-mystical state of calm and contentment.
This is great stuff. I think i fall somewhere in the middle of you two (at least with my current palate). For instance, even though the 2003 Montrose is supposed to be early in its drinking window, i found it far too young. But I do tend to find "off" vintages from the early/mid 2000's approachable.

Any good examples of a Howquito wine?
jal

Post by jal »

All Burgundy
Puligny-Montrachet Domaine Jacques Carillon 2017 x 3
Puligny-Montrachet 1er cru les Champs Canet Pernot-Bélicard 2016
Puligny-Montrachet Pernot-Bélicard 2018 x2
Volnay Jean Vaudoisey 2016
Volnay 1er Cru "Champans" Douhairet Porcheret 2017
Volnay 1er Cru "Champans" Domaine Monthélie-Douhairet 2018
Chambolle-Musigny Domaine Bertagna 2017 x 3
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Not exactly a purchase, but the latest contribution to my wine learning experience - 1983 Robert Arnoux Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Les Suchots. I was told we will open it this Saturday.
Karl said Parker gave it 78 points. :o
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

From the big Quebec Bourgogne lottery, i got allowed almost nothing.

1 × 2017 Sigaut Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Chatelots
2× 2017 Pavelot Savigny-les-Beaune.

No Jadot Chassagne, no Matrot Meursault Perrières, no Raveneau and no Domaine Rory Culkin.

Deceiving.

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Dom, Krug and Billecart-Salmon rouge. Went a little champagne crazy this Sunday with an offering from my country club. Pricing was lower than anything that I have seen in 15+ years, Dom at $115.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JoelD wrote:Any good examples of a Howquito wine?
Many 2002 Bordeaux are in the Howquito zone, especially the Leoville Barton. These will of course hold for a long while still, but Jim and I agree that they'll probably never be "better" in the future, just different.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Yes, what do we have so far in the Howquito list, Patrick, I think it is a short list so far, I believe:

1996 Pontet Canet
2002 Leoville Barton

Beyond the five year rule of Blanquito, Joel, there is the basic premise that Patrick would prefer to drink a wine on the way down, as opposed to the How principle of prefering to drink a wine on its way up.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Lol, Jimbo guzzles wine at birth!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Racer Chris wrote:Not exactly a purchase, but the latest contribution to my wine learning experience - 1983 Robert Arnoux Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Les Suchots. I was told we will open it this Saturday.
Karl said Parker gave it 78 points. :o
Karl also says this wine is likely to change my mind about Burgundy. :geek:
Part of me hopes not. Most of me hopes my wife won't think much of it either.
jal

Post by jal »

2017 Jean Philippe Fichet Meursault Village x 4

1st bottle was fantastic
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

1988 Lynch Bages x 9
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Just received another delivery of wine from DFS - the duty free store at Changi Airport.
DFS did not renew its airport tenancy agreement some time ago and with no passengers to buy the wine, they are dumping it big time. They will have to vacate by end June.

So far I have bought 7-8 cases.
Some are classified growths but most are second wines, CB, some lesser Burgundies of both colours, some Italians (Chianti Classico or Rufina Reserva) a few Australian wines (Penfolds and Cape Mentelle) a few Riojas and a few Ports.
I do not normally bother with Penfolds wines, not as they are no good, but they have too much characteristic sameness and I get bored with them. I can nearly always pick them in blind tastings.

The lesser Bordeaux wines has so far performed above expectations. Some I have to say would warrant lower classed growth status (say, 5th growth) in a revision.
It has made me re-think how good second wines and CB's really are.
When I first started drinking Bdx, there were few second wine worth buying - Forts de Latour an exception.
It seems to me that many estates are much more complete than ever before.
I wonder if anyone else thinks the same?
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

I’m a fan of some second wines Claudius2, as for me they can offer great value particularly in stronger vintages.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Agreed. One example is Pavillon Rouge which now tastes like Ch Margaux.
jal

Post by jal »

I am buying a lot more than I am drinking, that may be it for a while
On winebid
1981 Château Gloria X 2
2011 Pousse d’or Chambolle Musigny les Amoureuses
At the Caveau de Puligny Montrachet
2018 Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet les Referts X 3
2018 Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet les Perrieres X 3
2018 Jacques Carillon Puligny Montrachet les Champs Canet X 3
2018 Guillon Chambolle Musigny X 3
Best

Jacques
stefan

Post by stefan »

>>
I am buying a lot more than I am drinking
>>

What is unusual about that? :)

Jacques Carillon rocks. When do you plan to start drinking the the Puligny?

I am almost out of white Burgundy and cannot have any shipped here until December.
I may have to follow Jim's lead and drink Bordeaux with fish.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Good prices on Puligny on Winebid? Color me surprised (and tempted)...
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

In my quest for some right bank verticals, I have just bought some old Conseillante and Lafleur Petrus.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Musigny151. Very well done indeed.
jal

Post by jal »

Stefan, for Carillon I have some 2017 1er Crus but I think I'll drink the 2018s first, tasting them at the domaine (really more of a garage) last July, even from barrels they seemed to be more expansive than the 2017s.

Blanquito, I bought the Puligny direct form the Caveau de Puligny Montrachet in the village. He's arranging shipping and sending everything tomorrow. Fingers crossed. I don't think I have ever bought a white burgundy on Winebid.
Best

Jacques