Post by Comte Flaneur »

1 x 1982 Ch. Magdelaine £125 all in including delivery
To go with it:
1 x 1970 Ducru - same price memories from one of Jacques’s pool parties
Claudius2

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by Claudius2 »

Marcs
It seems that GL has fallen off a few radars over the years but it seems that it has hit form again.
I don’t have any 04 but I do have a case of 05 and I am wondering if it will be approachable now.

In relation to value I agree that if you exclude the most expensive wines, Bordeaux is now pretty good vale particularly compared to Burgundy. I also find it hard to justify Brunello prices here.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Burgundy goes without saying, but is there any other region that offers the kind of value Bordeaux does in, say, the $25-75 range? Especially if we stipulate that you age the wines and drink them at the right age? Just so may great producers in that range. Maybe the Rhone (North and South) if you shop wisely and like the style?

Granted, if you want Burgundy or whatever you will need to go there for that style
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

I'm a sucker for closeouts and just picked up 4 bottles of 2013 Poggio Antico Madre IGT for $25ea. It was cheap enough to take a chance on and my Tuscan wine selection is pretty depleted.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Comte Flaneur wrote:1 x 1982 Ch. Magdelaine £125 all in including delivery
To go with it:
1 x 1970 Ducru - same price memories from one of Jacques’s pool parties

Good buy especially the Magdelaine.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

I am building mini verticals of both Magdelaine and Ducru Mark. I have four 88 Magdelaine secured recently. Keeping in mind BWE folk for eventual possible verticals here in London.

Most recent purchase: 2011 Sottimano Barbaresco Pajore x 6 @ £220ib. I am a late gate crasher to this particular party; or, to use a contrary analogy, that ship has already started sailing.
AKR

Post by AKR »

marcs wrote:Burgundy goes without saying, but is there any other region that offers the kind of value Bordeaux does in, say, the $25-75 range? Especially if we stipulate that you age the wines and drink them at the right age? Just so may great producers in that range. Maybe the Rhone (North and South) if you shop wisely and like the style?

Granted, if you want Burgundy or whatever you will need to go there for that style
Have all you folks who are really in Burgundy tried blind taste testing all the other possible replicants of it? I'm thinking of even odd ball stuff like non pinot bottlings. Maybe pull together a blind dinner where you pour stuff like 20-30 year old CNDP or Rioja, or Russian River or Wilamette PN to see if any of those are even at all close.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Back to Bordeaux.

3 bottles of 2014 Domaine de Chevalier
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

3 x 2018 Réserve de la Comtesse 2018 EP.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

All 2019 EP...

2 x 2019 Clinet
2 x 2019 DdC Rouge
2 x 2019 Pedesclaux

1 x 2019 Branaire
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

2 bottles of the 2010 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Vaucrains for the absurdly high $157/each all-in. Total impulse auction bid placed days ago that I didn’t think I’d actually win. I’m pretty sure this is the most I’ve ever spent on a young wine.

THESE BETTER BE AWESOME, MARCUS!

I know your note was on the 09, but Gilman ranked the ‘10 even higher.

To help make me feel better about this outlay, I repost Gilman’s et al. notes here for all to marvel at:

96 points John Gilman: "The 2010 Chevillon Vaucrains is another brilliant wine in the making. The deep, youthful and very sappy nose soars from the glass in a blaze of black cherries, pomegranate, nutskins, incipient notes of game, a stunningly complex base of soil, woodsmoke, fresh herbs and new oak. On the palate the wine is deep, full-bodied, pure and complex, with a great core of fruit, seamless balance, substantial and very fine-grained tannins and magical length and grip on the still very primary finish. A great, great wine. (Drink between 2025-2080) " (12/2011)

94-96 points Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: "The 2010 Nuits St. Georges Les Vaucrains is one of the more delicate wines next to some of the other 2010s. It shows gorgeous fleshiness in its layers of dark red fruit, spices and flowers. The Vaucrains is all about textural elegance and volume. The sensual finish makes this very hard to spit. Today the Vaucrains comes across as silkier and more finessed than the St. Georges, suggesting it may come around a bit earlier. That may also just be wishful thinking on my part. We will see. This is another breathtaking wine from the Chevillon brothers. (AG)" (02/2012)

94 points Vinous: "Deep red-ruby. Blackberry, bitter chocolate and mint on the nose; classic Vaucrains. A liquid confection in the mouth: silky, ripe and sweet, with dark berry flavors complicated by livelier red cherry, mint and orange zest. This makes the Roncieres look almost chunky by comparison. Finishes very suave, broad and seriously structured, with sweet tannins spreading out to saturate the palate. Really wonderful depth of fruit and power here. (ST)" (03/2013)

94 points Allen Meadows - Burghound: "This is fantastically complex with a kaleidoscopically broad-ranging nose of markedly ripe dark berry fruit, earth and sauvage hints. The palate impression is classic Vaucrains with its rich, full-bodied, intense and overtly robust flavors that culminate in a hugely long yet quite finely balanced finish. This is indisputably a big wine but one that stops short of being forbidding as the copious dry extract buffers the explicitly firm supporting tannins. Still, this strikingly good effort is clearly going to require an extended cellar snooze. In a word, marvelous. *Outstanding* " (01/2014)
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

That is quite the drinking window from Gilman! I might be tempted to drink it before 2080. But if you wait long enough, then you can say you spent $157 for an older wine. :)
stefan

Post by stefan »

Patrick, I passed on buying 2009 and 2010 Chevillon NSG 1er Crus as the price was too high for wines that will probably not mature before I adjourn to That Great Tasting Room in the Sky. I did buy his NSG VV in both vintages. Probably I'll try one within five years. By the time you are my age, the Vaucrains 2010 should be very nice and be much more expensive, so nice purchase.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I knew I'd get some solace here, thanks guys. I like the plan to inflate away the buyer's remorse!

It's a great point when I think about it -- has anyone here ever considered a wine purchased years ago 'expensive' later, assuming you still like the style? I can't think of any. And even the ones whose style I don't like now I've been able to off-load at auction, often for a considerable profit.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

1986 Lynch Bages at 135
1986 Pichon Lalande at 185
1989 Pichon Lalande at 235
2x 1989 Pichon Baron at 180
1989 montrose at 280
4x 2014 D'issan at 46
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

JoelD wrote:1986 Lynch Bages at 135
1989 montrose at 280
4x 2014 D'issan at 46
Thanks, Joel. I feel (even) better now.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Patrick you are not even 50 yet so you can drink those in the fullness of time.

Two thousand and ten is proving to be a remarkably versatile, accessible and brilliant burgundy vintage, especially in the Cote De Beaune.

It was - last chance saloon. - festive - auction day today.

With all those bored, very rich, people sitting at home twiddling their thumbs, and unable to jet set to exotic locales, this auction was - unfortunately - well supported by abundant buy side liquidity.

But using a bit of the Maradonna (RIP) shimmering technique I landed a few lots:

2 x 78 Beychevelle £120
8 x 83 Ducru £700 (with MEK)
6 x 09 Ducru £850
3 x 71 Haut-Brion £320
3 x Ceretto (Barolos Prapo 00, Brunate 00, Barbaresco Bernadot Asili 99) £190 - I paid up as the Italians were very well bid.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

1989 montrose at 280
4x 2014 D'issan at 46
Montrose especially a steal. Great wine.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Nice haul Joel
Thanks, same to you Ian. Those Ducru 09 especially. I look forward to trying my one bottle in 3-4 blanquitos
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote:
1989 montrose at 280
4x 2014 D'issan at 46
Thanks, Joel. I feel (even) better now.
I've read this 5 times and can't figure out if you're being sarcastic or that I actually made you feel better because I spent a lot too.

However, those Chevilion's should prove to be a great a investment. I've had the 01 and 04 LSG a couple times lately and they are beautiful right now. Marcus doesn't mind opening his red burgs young. That Geantet Pansiot Charmes 2010 we had a few weeks back required 2-3 hours in the decanter. But showed all the signs
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Definitely sincere, Joel! Playful so for sure, but shared suffering/bankruptcy is always better served in the warmth of BWE (unlike revenge which is a dish best served cold).
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Blanquito wrote:Definitely sincere, Joel! Playful so for sure, but shared suffering/bankruptcy is always better served in the warmth of BWE (unlike revenge which is a dish best served cold).
Haha understood. Not that I would take offense or anything. Thought maybe you wished that money spent on older Bordeaux instead. But yes, I vote to just be "wine poor" together. Vaccinated Bordeaux trip, here we come. Costs be damned.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Went to my local winestore and 2 bottles of the 2015 Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino just appeared... i took them.
marcs

Post by marcs »

Blanquito wrote:2 bottles of the 2010 Robert Chevillon NSG Les Vaucrains for the absurdly high $157/each all-in. Total impulse auction bid placed days ago that I didn’t think I’d actually win. I’m pretty sure this is the most I’ve ever spent on a young wine.

THESE BETTER BE AWESOME, MARCUS!

I know your note was on the 09, but Gilman ranked the ‘10 even higher.
:lol: If this was the K&L lot I was bidding against you dude! I dropped out when the price got near $150 because I already have five bottles and wasn't motivated to add to my stash. Congrats on joining the Chevillon bandwagon! $157 is pretty much fair market price for a good year of Vaucrains so I wouldn't worry, you can always sell it. It's nothing like my disaster of buying the 2016 PB for $160, grrrrr....

The 2009 Chevillon Vaucrains was the best wine I had over the last year and one of my favorite Burgundies ever. That might be partially because it hits my personal sweet spot in terms of smoother, more suave Burgundies that drink well young. What I like so much about it is that the vintage character cuts against the rugged, rocky character of the Vaucrains and makes it much more velvety and rounded, and easier to drink young. It may never shut down. I plan to drink it through my entire life. I have a vertical of Chevillon Vaucrains that runs from 2009 through 2016 (excluding the 2011) and I have a few bottles of each vintage, but the 2009 is the one I pursued by far most vigorously and I stopped after accumulating 18 bottles of it. (A bit of a risk since I have only drunk one bottle of it so far, that experience better not have been a fluke, LOL)

I really like 2009 Burgundy. Another favorite Burgundy that I have pursued, the 2009 Bouchard Corton, is also quite different than other vintages -- more exotic and feminine, and unlike the Corton reputation for taking forever to come around, it has been open and giving each and every time I have tried it. (For those who were at the Montmartre dinner -- that bottle was corked, not shut down).
jckba

Post by jckba »

While I avoided Black Friday / Cyber Monday wine spending, I in turn got sucked into buying a case of 2016 Oddero Villero Barolo.
Ianjaig

Post by Ianjaig »

Both EP:
2x Bourgneuf 2019
2 x Lafon Rochet 2019
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

A pristine bottle of Ch. Magdelaine 1970 for £145 all in including delivery. Probably my last purchase of Magdelaine because these prices are really escalating. At auction last week a mag of 1964 with no label went for £220 ex commission vs the est of £150-200. I was hoping to pick it up cheaply. The cat is well and truly out of the bag.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Bravo on the 70 Magdelaine, Ian. Great stuff that wine, as you know...

Inspired by BWE, I just bought a 6-pack of the 2019 d'Issan for $45.90 all-in.

Still considering other 2019s, but I might wait until a few more of them have been tasted by the laity.
JoelD

Post by JoelD »

Where did you end up ordering those from Patrick?

I got Total Wine Concierge to put it in writing that they will refund for any reason if I don't want the wine. However the D'issan comes to 53 all in after tax with them. and the Lynch Bages comes to about 101 after tax.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

My 2019 prices come from K&L, where you get a 15% discount if you use store credit (from auction sales) on their inventory rather than taking cash. K&L also doesn’t charge sales tax on non-CA residents.

So unless you have wine you want to sell, most folks can’t get this pricing from them.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I was in a liquor store tonight buying a bottle of Grey Goose Limon for Mary and took a look at the rather small French wine section. Up top was a single bottle of 2014 Ch. Siran so I bought it, for $39.99. $30-35 would be more appropriate but I don't intend to buy more unless this bottle stands out.
stefan

Post by stefan »

4 Philippe Prie Traditions Brut @ $25
6 2008 Veuve Cliquot La Grande Dame @ $120
6 2009 Shea Cellars PN @ $30

The first two arrived already, as did ten other cases of Oregon wines. My back is killing me.
Dandersson

Post by Dandersson »

EP 2019
Branaire-Ducru 1*375ml
Grand Puy Lacoste 2*375ml
Leoville Barton 1*375ml
Lynch Bages 1*375ml
DdC 1*375ml.

That will be the last of the 2019 for me.
Have a great evening!

Best, Dan
jckba

Post by jckba »

Looking for some Bdx magic with a ‘66 Beychevelle @ $155, a ‘78 Calon Segur @ $145 and 3 ‘06 d’Issan mags @ $135/per from Blacksmith Fine Wines bin end Bdx clearance.
stefan

Post by stefan »

5 2017 La Lagune Magnums @ $89.

I don't usually buy magnums and certainly not of young Bordeaux, but the deal was too good to pass up. I hope that I will still have senses of taste & smell at age 95. I think that this is the only 2017 Bordeaux that I have purchased.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

I didn’t even know there was a 2017 vintage in bordeaux!
marcs

Post by marcs »

Just got a case of 2009 Trotanoy for $235/bottle all in. The auction notated 4 scuffed labels but for $150/bottle off the lowest U.S retail price I’ll take that risk! Assuming the condition is as advertised this should make up for some of my auction screw ups this year :-)
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Good catch marcs. i'm jalous! Trotanoy is an immense Pomerol, and I guess the 2009 must be really something.

Myself, picked up a few bottles of the 2012 Chateau Nénin. Yes, we need more Pomerol.

Nic
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

marcs wrote:Just got a case of 2009 Trotanoy for $235/bottle all in. The auction notated 4 scuffed labels but for $150/bottle off the lowest U.S retail price I’ll take that risk! Assuming the condition is as advertised this should make up for some of my auction screw ups this year :-)
You might be able to find 1998 Trotanoy at auction. It will be a little more, but well worth the difference. This is for me the finest young Trotanoy I have ever tasted, and better still a few years closer to maturity.