So what have you bought lately?

William P

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by William P »

375ml chateau suduiraut sauternes 2007. Impulse buy at Costco. $23.00 a bottle.
stefan

Post by stefan »

David knows a lot about backfilling!
AKR

Post by AKR »

William P wrote:375ml chateau suduiraut sauternes 2007. Impulse buy at Costco. $23.00 a bottle.
heh, I walked by that on Monday, ignoring J's entreaties that we buy some...

I already have so much dessert wine that is getting consumed too slowly....
William P

Post by William P »

AKR wrote:
William P wrote:375ml chateau suduiraut sauternes 2007. Impulse buy at Costco. $23.00 a bottle.

I already have so much dessert wine that is getting consumed too slowly....

I don't have much and Linda seems to be acquiring a taste.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

A very nice deal for a Sauternes Cru Classé. Wish I could find that type of bargain here.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Finally, 4 bottles of the 1985 La Lagune for $87 each all-in. I had this blind just over 3 years ago and I was so impressed I’ve been trying to source some good looking bottles of it ever since. Yes!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

12x 2018 Ch. Talbot @ $55.
Musigny 151

Post by Musigny 151 »

Prum Graacher auslese GK 2007
Had a half bottle yesterday; delicious.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Outbidding me again, Patrick, eh?
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Outbidding me again, Patrick, eh?
Oops! I did check for you before my first bid, Bill, but not afterwards... and checking the bid history just now, it looks like it was I who was being outbid!:
Bidder Name: P***
Bid Price: $332.00
Original Bid Date: 1/20/2021 6:14:50 PM
Bidder Name: W***
Bid Price: $322.00
Original Bid Date: 1/20/2021 6:14:50 PM
Bidder Name: W***
Bid Price: $301.00
Original Bid Date: 1/20/2021 8:57:01 AM
Bid Price: $291.00
Original Bid Date: 1/17/2021 6:31:48 PM
Bidder Name: V***
Bid Price: $286.00
Original Bid Date: 1/17/2021 6:31:48 PM
Bid Price: $264.99
Original Bid Date: 1/15/2021 8:33:28 PM
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Looks like a K&L auction.

I just placed an order online at NH, Gerry, got 11 more bottles of 2016 La Dame de Montrose and a bottle of 2015 Marquis de Terme to get to the dozen. Pretty painless process, first time I’ve ordered online. I’ll pick up my stash tomorrow at the Hampton North store.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Sorry about that, Patrick. I didn't check who was winning when I bid since you usually check with me via email when LL comes up.

Oh, how I regret telling the world how good LL is.
gene m.

Post by gene m. »

zip ,nada, nothin since 2020, no bordeaux since 2019.
Only things I bought were local stuff Ceritas, DuPuis, Fingers Crossed and Kinsman Eades.
Maybe I'll buy some bordeaux next week
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

stefan wrote:Sorry about that, Patrick. I didn't check who was winning when I bid since you usually check with me via email when LL comes up.

Oh, how I regret telling the world how good LL is.
No worries, hopefully we all get to share some good LL together soon! I have a few ‘78s I’m saving for the next BWE.
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JimHow wrote:Looks like a K&L auction.

I just placed an order online at NH, Gerry, got 11 more bottles of 2016 La Dame de Montrose and a bottle of 2015 Marquis de Terme to get to the dozen. Pretty painless process, first time I’ve ordered online. I’ll pick up my stash tomorrow at the Hampton North store.
Nice haul!
jckba

Post by jckba »

Picked up an OCC 6pack of the 2016 Edmond Vatan Clos la Neore Sancerre that one of my local shops extended to me with a regular markup.
It’s a beautiful thing.
It’s a beautiful thing.
365CFC24-8AF1-4F35-B223-7B7DAC9EB2A8.jpeg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 2852 times
stefan

Post by stefan »

3 Vitanza Brunello di Montalcino 2015 @ $30
12 Louis Michel 2018 1er Cru Chablis; mixed @ $40
3 Billecart Salmon Nicolas Francois 2006 @ $95
2 Louis Michel 2018 Chablis @ $30

Thanks, Jacques, for suggesting the basic Louis Michel 2018 Chablis. It is amazing for the price and drinks well already. I'll try one of his Premier Crus in the near future, but I imagine it is a waste not to blanquito them at least once.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

A mixer of wines-to-try:
1 bottle of 2013 Sky Zinfandel
1 bottle of 2017 Pegau CDP
1 bottle of 2018 Enfield XB02 - Jurassic Park Vineyard Chenin Blanc
1 bottle of 2017 Domaine Laroche Chablis 1er Cru Mont de Milieu
3 bottles of 2014 Ridge Geyserville Essence dessert wine
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

One bottle of Massolino Barolo Margheria 2010

Nine bottles of Domaine Lafouge Auxey-Duress red and white 2016 and 2017 villages and premier cru

Six bottles of Gangloff Cote-Rotie Barbarine 2013

Six bottles of Sottimano Barbaresco Cotta 2010.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Comte Flaneur wrote:Six bottles of Gangloff Cote-Rotie Barbarine 2013.
Thumb up!

Any of you have any experiençe with Cuilleron Côte Rôtie? Would you recommend them?

Nic
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

jckba wrote:Picked up an OCC 6pack of the 2016 Edmond Vatan Clos la Neore Sancerre that one of my local shops extended to me with a regular markup.
365CFC24-8AF1-4F35-B223-7B7DAC9EB2A8.jpeg
HUGE SCORE!
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:A mixer of wines-to-try:
1 bottle of 2013 Sky Zinfandel
1 bottle of 2017 Pegau CDP
Psyched you bought that Sky Zin, i bet you dig it. Like the Magdelaine of Zin! The 2017 Pegau is super-tasty. Wish I had gotten a full case at the pre-release price that was dirt cheap. Grabbed 6 x 750 and 2 mags.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

Yeah, I bought the Sky Zin based on your recco, but later I saw the thread on WB. Doubly excited to try it, arriving next week!

What was the '17 Pegau running price-wise on pre-release?
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Blanquito wrote:Yeah, I bought the Sky Zin based on your recco, but later I saw the thread on WB. Doubly excited to try it, arriving next week!

What was the '17 Pegau running price-wise on pre-release?
Either $45 or $50, cannot recall exactly. The 2018 came out even lower.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Nicklasss wrote:
Thumb up!

Any of you have any experiençe with Cuilleron Côte Rôtie? Would you recommend them?

Nic
Very limited experience with this producer Nic, who is a big presence in the region and more renowned for his Condrieu than his Cote Rotie, but I will have the opportunity to try a bottle of his 2015 Cote Rotie Bonnivieres (aka Terres Sombres) in February when I finish my fast.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Comte Flaneur wrote:
Nicklasss wrote:
Thumb up!

Nic
Very limited experience with this producer Nic, who is a big presence in the region and more renowned for his Condrieu than his Cote Rotie, but I will have the opportunity to try a bottle of his 2015 Cote Rotie Bonnivieres (aka Terres Sombres) in February when I finish my fast.
I've bought various Cuilleron's bottlings over the years (and sort of continue to do so) but have never been wowed by them as much as they seem to be regarded by others. I've noticed that they don't get professionally reviewed as much as one might think they should be, given their high profile. Vins de Vienne is also quasi associated with him.
Claudius2

Post by Claudius2 »

Guys
I think Cuilleron makes pretty good Cote Rotie, though I have not tried it for several years.
I smuggled in (literally) a case from Australia I'd had for some years (1999) and it was always a very nice wine but it isn't in the very top category, and of the 12 bottles, I can't recall any of them really wowing me.
I think that 6 were the Terres Sombres and the rest were a more standard bottling (I think it is called Bassenon).
The style of the two were quite similar, the Terres Sombres a bit richer and with more spice, though the standard bottling was to my palate just as good in a more conventional CR style.

I have also tried (in smaller quantities) a few more recent vintages (2000, 2006) which were similar, though maybe the style is rather commercial?
I would posit a guess that the style is made to suit an international audience rather than traditionalists.
They are softer and quite floral in style, with aromas of musk and spices and the fruit is medium bodied. Not a lot of that bacon rind character I enjoy in CR.

One point about the Vine de Vienne wines.
For some reason, they are quite popular in Singapore of all places.
One of the local importers here sells them and a few years ago I bought a mixed case (CR, Crozes Hermitage, Gigondas, St Joseph) from 2015 and 2016 (depending on the wine).
I tried them soon after delivery to get a handle on the style.
They are very commercial, and I think made more for Asian tastes. A touch of kecap manis anyone?
The wines did not lack any flavour, but all were a bit too sweet and simple for me.
A few of them tasted a bit like a Victorian syrah or blend to me (and that is not necessarily a criticism, as I actually like Vic syrah with its more gamey, spicy and savoury characters compared to the richness of Barossa or McLaren Vale).
They were however really liked by some local (Chinese) friends and I bought more of the St Joseph at a later clearance sale.
If you try them alongside other Rhone producers like Chapoutier or Guigal, the style cuts across the range of wines and the Cuilleron style I would imagine would suit most BWE members better than VdV.

In summary, Cuilleron are good to very good in a medium bodied and quite modern style, and I'd drink them in favour of VdV at similar price points.

cheers
Mark
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Many thanks for the info on Cuilleron's Côte Rôtie. I think i'll get a 3 packs of one of his Côte Rôtie, to figure out.

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

My first purchase of 2021. An impulse buy of a single bottle of 2016 du Tertre at Costco.
Best

Jacques
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

Racer Chris wrote:12x 2018 Ch. Talbot @ $55.
For the second time this year an internet wine store has let me down. I placed my order and a few days later was informed they were out of stock and unable to secure more at this time. :(
Maybe its a sign.
So I took yet another tack today. Rather than focusing on premium wines, I went for mass quantities of "cellar defenders".
In advance of the coming snow event, I drove to Nashau NH to take advantage of the State Liquor Store 15% off sale and bought two cases of 2016 Bordeaux.The only classified growth was one bottle of Ch. d'Armailhac.
The remainder was split among Marquis de Calon, Haut Beausejour, Lilian Ladouys, Ormes de Pez, and Ch Siran. All in the $23-33 price range.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Racer Chris wrote:
Racer Chris wrote:12x 2018 Ch. Talbot @ $55.
For the second time this year an internet wine store has let me down. I placed my order and a few days later was informed they were out of stock and unable to secure more at this time. :(
Maybe its a sign.
So I took yet another tack today. Rather than focusing on premium wines, I went for mass quantities of "cellar defenders".
In advance of the coming snow event, I drove to Nashau NH to take advantage of the State Liquor Store 15% off sale and bought two cases of 2016 Bordeaux.The only classified growth was one bottle of Ch. d'Armailhac.
The remainder was split among Marquis de Calon, Haut Beausejour, Lilian Ladouys, Ormes de Pez, and Ch Siran. All in the $23-33 price range.
Need to get more 2016s. Our local Costco still has 2016 Lilian Ladouys at 21.99. I got some, but tempted to get more..
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

That is a very good price for the Lilian Ladouys for this long after release. I think that is about what I paid for my futures purchase. I would be a buyer of more if I could find that price near me.
OrlandoRobert

Post by OrlandoRobert »

Big Papi was unicorn hunting, I just scored some:

2 x 2005 Edmond Vatan Sancerre Clos la Néore

Yay!!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

I don't know if this is any good, but i always wanted to try. Each time i saw a wine of that producer and did not buy it, next week all bottles were gone.

But i limited myself to one bottle of the 2017 Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva, as i never tried any wine from that producer.
JCNorthway

Post by JCNorthway »

Nic, that should be a very good wine. But if you drink it soon, you should certainly decant it. It will actually be better in 10 years. But you don't need to wait.

Here is what Antonio Galloni had to say as he rated it 92+ points:
The 2017 Chianti Classico Riserva is a powerful, dense wine. In most vintages, the Riserva is quite forthcoming, but readers should be prepared to cellar the 2017. Perhaps it is the Colorino in the blend, but the Riserva really packs quite a punch in terms of its structural intensity. Ripe red fruit, cedar, tobacco, licorice, dried herbs, cinnamon and blood orange start to develop with some aeration. The best clearly lies ahead. Drink from 2024-2037
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Nic.

Enjoy. Monsanto was one of my favourite annual purchase of chianti classico's but I haven't seen it in the LCBO recently. Mind you I'm there so infrequently now maybe it comes through but not as a regular listing. Always a step up from other producers at a reasonable price.
Danny
AKR

Post by AKR »

Claudius2 wrote:Guys
I think Cuilleron makes pretty good Cote Rotie, though I have not tried it for several years.
I smuggled in (literally) a case from Australia I'd had for some years (1999) and it was always a very nice wine but it isn't in the very top category, and of the 12 bottles, I can't recall any of them really wowing me.
I think that 6 were the Terres Sombres and the rest were a more standard bottling (I think it is called Bassenon).
The style of the two were quite similar, the Terres Sombres a bit richer and with more spice, though the standard bottling was to my palate just as good in a more conventional CR style.

I have also tried (in smaller quantities) a few more recent vintages (2000, 2006) which were similar, though maybe the style is rather commercial?
I would posit a guess that the style is made to suit an international audience rather than traditionalists.
They are softer and quite floral in style, with aromas of musk and spices and the fruit is medium bodied. Not a lot of that bacon rind character I enjoy in CR.

One point about the Vine de Vienne wines.
For some reason, they are quite popular in Singapore of all places.
One of the local importers here sells them and a few years ago I bought a mixed case (CR, Crozes Hermitage, Gigondas, St Joseph) from 2015 and 2016 (depending on the wine).
I tried them soon after delivery to get a handle on the style.
They are very commercial, and I think made more for Asian tastes. A touch of kecap manis anyone?
The wines did not lack any flavour, but all were a bit too sweet and simple for me.
A few of them tasted a bit like a Victorian syrah or blend to me (and that is not necessarily a criticism, as I actually like Vic syrah with its more gamey, spicy and savoury characters compared to the richness of Barossa or McLaren Vale).
They were however really liked by some local (Chinese) friends and I bought more of the St Joseph at a later clearance sale.
If you try them alongside other Rhone producers like Chapoutier or Guigal, the style cuts across the range of wines and the Cuilleron style I would imagine would suit most BWE members better than VdV.

In summary, Cuilleron are good to very good in a medium bodied and quite modern style, and I'd drink them in favour of VdV at similar price points.

cheers
Mark
These are all wines I sort of buy a bottle in big years, eventually drink them, and kind of think 'why the fuss'. And then the next plump vintage rolls, around, and I try again -- with similar results.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Missing inspiration at the moment, bored of the confinement and that we can't go out after 8:00 pm, i bought one bottle of each:

2018 Lorenzon Mercurey 1er Cru Champs Martin (supposely of one of the best producer of Mercurey).
2016 Chateau Veyran Clos de l'olivette Saint Chinian (supposely a Saint Chinian more refined and complex than other that are only power and fruit).
2019 Domaine Rabichattes Pouilly-Fumé (???).
2018 Laurus Côtes du Rhône white (supposely well balanced and delicious).

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

4 2015 Casalforno Brunello di Montalcino @ $24.

Never heard of this Brunello, but this is the time of year when I can buy from WTSO and have it shipped immediately, so I took a flyer.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Was planing to buy some lower end 2017 Red Bordeaux again this week. But the 2017 Monsanto tonight mixed the cards a bit.