JimHow

Re: So what have you bought lately?

Post by JimHow »

Very nicely done indeed.
2002 St. Julien. Mmmmmm.
Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

The 02 Branaire, another excellent 2002.

Ian, great palate think alike clearly.
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

6 2013 Togni Tanbark . I'm too old to wait for the regular bottling to mature and have found this a real bargain (CA wise that is) in good to great years. I hold Togni at the level of Paul Draper in terms of wine making ability.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Me too. I don't think I've tried the Tanbark bottling though.

===

We went to Sonoma last weekend for a jaunt, and visited Siduri (among others as well).

I came home with some of their 13 & 14 Pinot's. Very fruity, California version of varietal.

Don't drink it that often, and that's about all I can tolerate.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

2008 Altavins Viticoltors Terra Alta Domus Pensi.
Tasted at Total Wine last Friday, and the first time I've bought something from a tasting.

Popped and poured last night.
Nice fruit profile, modest tannins, not hot even though 14.5% alc, medium length finish.
No sign that decanting would improve it.
Its one of the best Grenache based wines I've encountered so far.
I suppose that's due in part to the 30% cabernet and 10% Merlot.
AKR

Post by AKR »

if you like Grenache, try some of Charvin's lineup. Small producer, but their grapes used to go into Rayas, until they decided to bottle up their own production.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote:if you like Grenache, try some of Charvin's lineup. Small producer, but their grapes used to go into Rayas, until they decided to bottle up their own production.
I like a couple of CdRs and one Languedoc so far, but didn't care for the Chapoutier Occultum Lapidem I bought recently, or a 100% Grenache wine I bought earlier this year.
This is the first Spanish wine I've bought so far.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mostly I have been buying wines for functions at the summer Workshop I run. I decided on 2012 Daugay and 2012 Labegorce for a dinner for 80 people. I expected 2012 Grand Corbin Despagne to beat these out, but apparently GCD has changed its style. It is far from ready to drink even with a lot of air and it is not clear that the fruit will outlive the wood. The others, while young, are OK with steak if you give them a lot of air. We'll start that banquet with NV Pannier as it is the best low price Champagne available locally.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Racer Chris wrote:
AKR wrote:if you like Grenache, try some of Charvin's lineup. Small producer, but their grapes used to go into Rayas, until they decided to bottle up their own production.
I like a couple of CdRs and one Languedoc so far, but didn't care for the Chapoutier Occultum Lapidem I bought recently, or a 100% Grenache wine I bought earlier this year.
This is the first Spanish wine I've bought so far.
Although grenache tends to be primary component in most CdR, there can be other grapes in there as well. But Charvin's is one of the pure grenache, unoaked examples. Keeps a decade no problem; actually more like a CNDP.

Languedoc is more likely to have that plus significants amounts of other furrier grapes that usually do not keep as well.

It is much harder to find Rhone wines after release, so if cellar space is a finite resource, it makes sense to devote some to that category, and buy at retail early. I find Bordeaux can be found easily enough, even if backfilling is not generally my preferred path.
jal

Post by jal »

One bottle of the 2012 Barde Haut. Gotta try this, right? Jay? Jim?
Best

Jacques
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

Picked up a couple of bottles of 2005 Dom Perignon with some gift cards I had from NH, Man, this stuff isn't getting any cheaper
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Did you get it at the Nashua store Gerry?

Give the 2012 Barde Haut a try Jacques, I'll be curious to see what you think about it.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

3 Splits of 2013 St Innocent Momtazi
1 split of 2013 Tempier Bandol
Gerry M.

Post by Gerry M. »

JimHow wrote:Did you get it at the Nashua store Gerry?

Give the 2012 Barde Haut a try Jacques, I'll be curious to see what you think about it.
Yes, I did.
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

I bought a bottle of 2008 Chateau Malmaison (Moulis) a week ago for $16.99 + tax.
Planning to open sometime this week.
If I like it I'll clean off the shelf at my favorite local wine retailer.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Over the past week I have shopped Zachys Xmas in August Burgundy sale on several occasions and have ended up with just over 3 cases of mostly onesies and twosies from a number of quality producers ranging from Chevillon to Chandon de Brialles to Meo Camuzet to Perrot Minot to Bertheau to Louis Jadot to Follin Arbelet to Roumier to Mugnier to Pousse d'Or to Hudellot Noellat to de Montille.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

What is it about an off year vintage of an unknown wine (2008 Malmaison) that appeals to you, Racer Chris?
Have you had that wine before? Does it have some special place in your heart?
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

i drove back from NYC today Gerry but just couldn't bring myself to delay my trip by an hour to drive up to Nashua. Any idea how many bottles of the 2005 Dom they have left?
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

JimHow wrote:What is it about an off year vintage of an unknown wine (2008 Malmaison) that appeals to you Jer, Racer Chris?
Have you had that wine before? Does it have some special place in your heart?
I'm not familiar with that wine at all. There's a good number of tasting notes on CellarTracker though, but only two for that vintage.
I was in the store to buy a mixed case and had a couple of open spots left. This was the first time I really noticed the Malmaison on the shelf.
I decided to take a chance because of the vintage, not in spite of it, and because I haven't had anything from Moulis en Medoc yet.
The store owner gave me 15% off the $19.99 shelf price so it was pretty easy.
I opened the bottle last night, poured out 3 glasses worth, and started drinking after a half hour decant.
It was pleasant enough, and easily worth the tariff, but no great QPR.
However, I finished the 3rd glass after only 1 1/2 hours of air time and it seems to me that there was still more to come, if I was more patient.
If I start with something else tonight, I can try to give the rest of the Malmaison a couple hours of decant before I drink it.

I'll probably buy a few more when I go back to that store, and drink them over the next year or two.
AKR

Post by AKR »

Chasse Spleen and Poujeaux are consistent winners in Moulis.

I've also had some luck with the seldom seen Biston Brillette in a peak vintage.

====

I bought (and drunk) some Chianti and Rioja over the last week for immediate quaffing.

Both bottles were disappointing.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Swung by Total Wine in Norwalk, CT today and ended up walking out with a cs of 2014 Ridge Estate Chard @ $37.99/per and a 6er of 2014 Domain Leflaive Macon-Verze @ $34.99/per both cheapest prices in the country at present.
stefan

Post by stefan »

I finally got around to ordering my 2014 St Innocent Pinot Noirs: One case each of Shea, Justice, Momtazi, and Temperance Hill.
AKR

Post by AKR »

jckba wrote:Swung by Total Wine in Norwalk, CT today and ended up walking out with a cs of 2014 Ridge Estate Chard @ $37.99/per and a 6er of 2014 Domain Leflaive Macon-Verze @ $34.99/per both cheapest prices in the country at present.
I remember a 1990 Ridge Monte Bello chard at about age 15 that was just superb. I hadn't realized until then that some CA chard could age well.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

2008 Huet Moelleux 1er Trie Vouvray Clos du Bourg
2008 Huet Moelleux 1er Trie Vouvray Le Mont
jckba

Post by jckba »

Swung by a local Shop Rite Liquors on the hunt for some BTAC when I came across some 2006 Antinori Guado Al Tasso's priced at $79.99/per but after an approximate 9% half case discount it came out to $72.50/per which seems quite good for this aged super Tuscan.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Mostly I have unbought things. I got an email from WTSO that they no longer can ship to me and they will refund me for wines of mine that they are holding.
jckba

Post by jckba »

Yeah I saw news of those cease and desist letters. Do you have friends in a neighboring state or maybe ship it to Stefan Jr (provided he is not also in Tx ;)?
stefan

Post by stefan »

stefanJr lives in Oregon. I often had WineBid ship to him before I quit using WB, but these were mostly older wines and we drank many in Oregon.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I received those six bottles of 2014 Ridge Geyserville, tried one the other night, delicious!
A nice wine at $33. Real smooth going down, no sharp edges, not too hot. Deep purple color. Two enthusiastic thumbs up!
Racer Chris

Post by Racer Chris »

AKR wrote:Chasse Spleen and Poujeaux are consistent winners in Moulis.
I just picked up a bottle of 2010 and 2011 Poujeaux.
Also just finished a bottle of 2012 Chateau Duplessis purchased from Total Wine a week ago. It was better than some other 2012 Bordeaux I've tried but nothing special.
JonathanP

Post by JonathanP »

Last purchase was the 2014 Yquem and 2015 "Y".
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

No need to participate in any sense but I could not resist going just to see it, to feel it. Guess we'll have to settle for this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/fe ... mp-w444943
jckba

Post by jckba »

2 purchases over the last week. The first was a mixed lot of assorted goodies from Pop's including 3 '83 Gruaud Larose @ $79, 4 '85 Gruaud Larose @ $119, '96 Grand Puy Lacoste @ $79, '01 Dominus @ $175 and 3 '12 Grand Puy Lacoste @ $50/per in order to round out the case purchase and this qualifying my order for $1 per btl shipping. And then lastFriday I received a Zachys email regarding the arrival of the 2014 Leroy Bourgogne Blanc at $59.99/per and this interested me due to the producer and the vintage but when I winesearchered it I noted that MacArthurs has the same btl on sale for $34.99/per, needless to say you can guess where I ordered my case from :lol:
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

So Pops is still around and they still are in Bordeaux?
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Still buying from Loxton -- a BWE Sonoma discovery way back when -- when their mailer comes spring and fall.
William P

Post by William P »

2010 Fonplegade $42.
2012 Rauzen Selga $55
2012 Haut Bergey $17

from Total Wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Well done, Bill. well done. Those are three excellent wines.

I gotta check on Loxton, we loved our visit there, so what's the deal, do they have a wine club?
william partmann

Post by william partmann »

Loxton has a wine club. I am member there. I believe they have two shipments a year. They are Zin and Syrah dominate but also ship a Russian River Pinot, Sonoma Cab and a Chardonay.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

If Trump wins folks you should buy gold

For similar reasons I have been quite active trying to beat some post-Brexit price increases. American, Continental European and Chinese - among others - have swooped in on the London market in the last four months to take advantage of numeraire currency discounts.

I accelerated some of my wine purchases fasting tracking Leoville-Barton 2004 and La Conseillante 2008.

I also bought a 12 pack of splits of Burlotto Barolo 2012 for $14 a half, a case of Burlotto Barolo Acclivi 2012 at $35 a bottle, a case of Burlotto Dolcetto D'Alba 2015 for $13 a bottle - try it, it is lovely - a case of Gilles Barges Cote-Rotie Duplessy 2004 and a case of Neudorf Moutere Chardonnay 2014 from New Zealand.

I have the cross hairs on some Montrose 2008...Patrick's 'medieval' descriptor keeps on lurking at the back of my mind. Mind you Calon Segur is great in 2008 too, but I am at getting Montrose.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

I guess surprisingly, our Loxton purchase is typically 50% Chard and one or two each of whatever else is on offer. I like their port and late harvest zin but don't buy those due to an overabundance of such wines in the basement.