Dinner at Schwa Chicago: Dom Oeno, Prum, Casalferro, RWT

DavidG

Dinner at Schwa Chicago: Dom Oeno, Prum, Casalferro, RWT

Post by DavidG »

Well, this dinner exceeded my expectations. The menu posted online was apparently an older sample, as what we were served bore only a vague resemblance to it.

Reservations are a bit tricky but not as tough as Goosefoot or Alinea. I got in with under two weeks notice, on a weeknight. The trick is to leave a message on the voicemail by late morning, before the mailbox is full, and wait for a call back.

Schwa is a very small place. Seats maybe 20-30. We had an early seating at 6 PM and there were only two other tables seated. Two more arrived at 7 and two more at 8. Hip hop music was playing but was not loud enough to interfere with normal conversation.

I didn't take notes but the 9-course tasting menu was more like 13, and all but 1 or 2 were delightful and fascinating combinations of intense and often unexpected taste, aroma and texture combinations. Molecular gastronomy without the over-the-top weirdness. Four chefs were working in a smallish kitchen and came out to serve and describe each dish. Plates were small enough to finish most everything without serious bloat.

Stemware was described online as nonexistent but they had stemless glasses that were decent and were happy to give us each several of them. No Champagne flutes so if you like your bubbles from flutes, bring them.

We went in thinking the meal would be more about food than wines. Our plan was to bring and open a variety so we could just drink whatever seemed to match best with each dish. It worked pretty well. And corkage is only $2.50 per person, no limit on number of bottles.

This is what we drank:
  • 1993 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon Oenothèque - France, Champagne (10/18/2014)
    Light gold color, great mousse, fantastic complex nose develops after about an hour, with fruit, yeast, fresh baked bread and mushrooms. Medium body, great complexity and balance on the palate, should drink well for years, outstanding.
  • 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (10/15/2014)
    Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill. Light to medium gold, apple, pear, citrus on the nose with the barest hint of petrol. Bit of spritz on opening dissipated within an hour, great balance between stone fruits and minerally acidity, still a bit sweet, long finish, should drink well for many years and develop additional complexity, but outstanding now.
  • 1997 Barone Ricasoli Casalferro Toscana IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT (10/15/2014)
    Perfect fill and cork. Dark red to rim. Dark red fruits, some earthy notes, nice balance, a little heavy on the tannins in the finish, very good to excellent.
  • 2003 Penfolds Shiraz RWT - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (10/18/2014)
    Cellared since release, perfect cork and fill, opened and drunk over 3 hours. dark red to rim. Opens beautifully after an hour to display a rich complex nose of blackberries, spice, flowers. Full body, rich ripe fruit with good balance, integrated tannins, long finish. Outstanding.
dstgolf

Re: Dinner at Schwa Chicago: Dom Oeno, Prum, Casalferro, RWT

Post by dstgolf »

Glad to hear you loved the experience. These are more like theater than dining for me. Presentation/mood/setting etc. Fun places to go to for the experience but on a regular basis but I think I 've already said this before.
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Not one sip of Bordeaux?!?!? For shame!
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Danny, I wouldn't choose that sort of "experience"on a regular basis either. But the food was really good.

Stefan, just not a Bordeaux group.
sdr

Post by sdr »

Corkage $2.50 per person, no limit on number of bottles? Sounds more like 1965 than 2014. I like these kinds of places, we don't have any in the whole state of Florida. But I like hip-hop, too, at least some of it.

Stuart
Diego23

Post by Diego23 »

Good to know about these restaurants. Well I am looking for best Las Vegas restaurants which are perfect for birthday parties and where we can get flexibilities on food and drinks as we don’t know how many guests will be there. Can you suggest me good venues?
Last edited by Diego23 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

No personal experience with Las Vegas BYO. A lot of the top names don't allow it or have very high fees, probably because they have pretty high markups on their wine lists and can sell a lot of those pricey bottles. There was a Thai place, not on the strip, that was very reasonable but I don't recall it's name and I think it closed or moved. Not sure but maybe someone else here has details. Not at all fancy like the spots in your link.