2000 Phélan Ségur

AlexR

2000 Phélan Ségur

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

Enjoyed yesterday with roast free range chicken. How wonderful such simple food can be (as opposed to battery, industrial birds)!

The color of this wine made it look younger than its years.

The relatively understated nose was very Médoc, with ethereal blackcurrant and pencil shavings.

The wine did not have the richness and volume of a top-flight wine, but was very satisfying, perfectly in keeping with its status as a "cru bourgeois exceptionnel*". There was decent tannic grip on the finish, but all-in-all, this is a good time to to drink 2000 Phelan Ségur - in answer to that eternal question in Bordeaux of the when to find the best balance between fruit and tertiary characteristics. Confirms that mid-range 2000 wines are ready to go.

Served the wine blind to the wife. She asked: "Bordeaux"? Yes. Rumination. "Saint-Estèphe"? Yes. More swirling, sipping and wrinkling of brow. "2000"? Yessiree. I think I'll keep her....

* The "cru exceptionnel" ranking disappeared in the most recent classification of the crus bourgeois, but appearently they will be brining it back.

Best regards,
Alex R.
Tom In DC

Re: 2000 Phélan Ségur

Post by Tom In DC »

Well done, Christine!
dstgolf

Re: 2000 Phélan Ségur

Post by dstgolf »

Outstanding Alex. That almost would have won her a Francois Mediterranean cruise for two for nailing the answer....close but no cigar.(circa 2005 Rolland de By with Jean Guyon) I guess you'll have to just enjoy her all on your own and keep up the training. She's almost there!! :lol:
Danny