2012 Caymus 40th Anniversary edition

JimHow

2012 Caymus 40th Anniversary edition

Post by JimHow »

Available at PJs for $55.97 per bottle.
Ranked 96 points by He Who Shall Remain Nameless.
I got 6 bottles, I'll try one in the name of science.
DavidG

Re: 2012 Caymus 40th Anniversary edition

Post by DavidG »

A very good buy if you like it. Are you a fan of Caymus or was this a points-based purchase? I'm pretty oak tolerant but often find the oak overdone in their wines. I haven't had one in years so perhaps they've evolved. This particular wine was panned by a few people as way too ripe and sweet. AFWE palates or just an anti-RP bent?? We need to find out if this is a Jim How kind of wine.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I haven't had a lot of experience with Caymus but the few times I've had it I wasn't that big on it.
But I figured, what the heck, let's mix it up a little bit.
I'll try one and report back!
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

I confess I bought a motherlode of this wine too (8 bottles, 6 liters and 3 3-liters ;-)). My rationale is that I have been a fan of Caymus for a number of vintages, the pricing came down for 2012 and it seemed to be much-heralded as a particularly great Caymus. Well, I popped open one a month or two ago and alas I find myself falling into the camp that thinks this is a sweet fruitbomb; it really didn't strike me as a serious wine. A hypothesis is that 2012 seems to be a high volume year and maybe Caymus just didn't do much in the way of cropping or selection and just went for maximum volume while creating a lot of fanfare about the 40th anniversary as a marketing effort to offload the high volume; a good short term business strategy perhaps.

Anyways, I don't have high hopes for this wine, though hopefully a few years will paint a different story. I really hope to be proved wrong, given how much of this stuff I have ;-) I originally fell in love with the '95 and '96 I had of this wine and had always found the producer to be somewhat undervalued. Even though it's a big production wine and is not cheap, nor highly rated (at it's price-point vs. so many other cabs), I've always found it to be lovely and worth the admission price, but alas not the '12, yet.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't have a lot of reason to dispute your notes Outlier, I thought it matched the sirloin quite nicely.
Outlier

Post by Outlier »

Jim, you could be right; I had just the one bottle so far and while I wasn't taken with it, a friend of mine whose taste I trust loved it. The bottle I drank had been travelling too, so maybe it needed to settle.

Incidentally, I had the '11 Caymus last night with a couple of friends and I was pretty amazed at just how wonderful it was - so concentrated, very round, deep penetrating, rich flavors. It embarassed an '07 Bremer Family cab alongside it that I paid $65 for. I went out and managed to buy another four bottles of the '11 Caymus this morning at Lunardis, the local California grocery store for $59.95 plus tax - a lovely discounted price on this gem. I charitably left two remaining bottles in the store for some other lucky customer.