TN: TNs of a broad range of wines

Harry C.

TN: TNs of a broad range of wines

Post by Harry C. »

• 2004 Shafer Cabernet Sauvignon Hillside Select - USA, California, Napa Valley, Stags Leap District (11/8/2014)
    Deep garnet. Nose filled the room, black berries, touch licorice. Taste was smooth-even at 14.9%!-but a hair thinner in the midpalate. Nose was astounding, taste was good. (95 pts.)
  • 2010 Aubert Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/8/2014)
    Pale yellow. Nose of pear, vanilla and mango. Taste was smooth, a touch thin, oak present. Good but a little disappointing given the pedigree. (91 pts.)
  • 2010 Aubert Chardonnay Lauren Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/31/2014)
    Pale yellow. Nose had some odd bottle stink that blew off with airing-perhaps decant? Nose was an odd mix of licorice, fresh oregano, vanilla, pear, mocha. Taste was smooth, touch oily, mango, pear, vanilla. Very good but unusual. (93 pts.)
  • 1996 Trevor Jones Shiraz Wild Witch Reserve Dry Grown - Australia, South Australia, Barossa, Barossa Valley (10/31/2014)
    Deep garnet. Nose was of a young shiraz. Black fruits, plums, typical for an Oz shiraz. Taste was similar but with a hot finish. (90 pts.)
  • 2002 Zind-Humbrecht Pinot Gris Clos Windsbuhl Vendange Tardive - France, Alsace, Alsace AOC (10/26/2014)
    Gold. Nose of Carmen Maranda's hat (Google it!) Mouth of vanilla, pear, rich, sweet, smooth, oily, a fruit compote. Astounding. (96 pts.)
  • 1997 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (10/26/2014)
    Gold. Nose of vanilla, citrus, pear, mango. Taste was rich, sweet, mouth filling, delish. (92 pts.)
  • 1999 Domaine Joël Champet Côte-Rôtie La Viallière - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (10/26/2014)
    garnet. Nose of the old style Cote Rotie, bacon fat, leather. Taste was similar, rich, lovely if you like the style. I do. (92 pts.)
  • NV Pol Roger Champagne Pure Brut - France, Champagne (10/26/2014)
    First time for me for this wine. Fine bubbles, pale yellow. Nose bready, yeasty, citrus. Taste very similar. Delish. (92 pts.)
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Cuvée Rubis - France, Champagne, Vallée de la Marne, Champagne (10/26/2014)
    Salmon color. Nose bright, citrus, yeasty. Taste was fresh, citrus. I usually am not the biggest fan of rose, but this was good. (90 pts.)
  • 2010 Morlet Family Vineyards Chardonnay Coup de Coeur - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (10/25/2014)
    Yellow. Nose close to Peter Michael Cuvee Indigene-some butter, pear, cinnamon. Taste was mouthfilling, hard to pin down to exact flavors, but smooth. Went well with food. (92 pts.)
  • 2000 Château Cap de Faugères - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Castillon Côtes de Bordeaux (10/25/2014)
    Dark garnet. Like a lot of 2000s, the nose is the show. Just pouring in the glasses filled the room. Real young Bordeaux nose, with 'asian spices', mocha and tobacco. Taste followed the nose, but youngish. Beautiful now, but can age a bit more. (91 pts.)
Nicklasss

Re: TN: TNs of a broad range of wines

Post by Nicklasss »

I have to try a bottle of any vintage of the Shafer Hillside Select, as it seems to be always a winner.

I did not have The same success as you with The 1997 Rieussec, sadly.

Côte-Rôtie is always excellent.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Nice range of wines, Harry.

Nic, Shafer Hillside is probably my favorite California Cab. I'll have to bring one to the next BWE dinner.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yeah, Hillside does not suck as much as most CA Cabs.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

But I had The 2008 Shafer One point five, and liked it a lot. I will try the big brother one day.

Nic