15 Bordeaux 2011s tasted in Copenhagen - very interesting!

greatbxfreak

15 Bordeaux 2011s tasted in Copenhagen - very interesting!

Post by greatbxfreak »

Last Thursday, 6th November, I participated in tasting of 15 2011 Bordeaux wines, almost all high-level ones, in Copenhagen. This tasting wasn't blind and wines were served in five flights (4, 4, 2, 3 and 2 wines).

I've to admit I didn't have that many expectations to wines fare extremely well, as it's appeared to me, that some 2011s I did taste this spring had lost some ingredients after bottling. But looking at my TNs now from tasting barrel samples and comparing with TNs on 6th November this year, I noticed similar ratings from me before and after bottling for several wines participating here.

First flight:

1. Malescot St.Exupery
Very aromatic, nice load of dark cherries on the nose and palate, very good balance and depth, a tad lighter than usual, fine acidity. On the elegant side. I gave it 92-93p from barrel, it promised more, but now I downgrade it to 91p.

2. Calon Segur
Fine distinguished nose of tobacco and leather, promising palate with fine depth, fine acidity and well-obtained maturity of grapes, great balance. Very pretty and stylish wine. From barrel it was slightly better and I rated it 93p. Now I rate it 92p.

3. Batailley
Aromatic, juicy and sappy wine, lighter than usual, better on the nose, fruity and attractive with raspberry drops aroma/taste. No real depth. Tasted far better from barrel (92p), now I rate it 89p.

4. Leoville Poyferre (magnum)
Shows bitterness on the palate at first sip but it quickly disappears. Great style with fine depth, structure and balance. Lighter than usual. 93p from barrel, 92p now.

Second flight:

1. Ducru Beaucaillou
Big and broad-shouldered wine with splendid ripeness, depth, richness, backbone and long aftertaste. Very classy and stylish wine. Stunning. Haven't tasted it from barrel. Gets well-deserved 95+p.

2. Montrose
Here comes the classic stuff from St.Estephe. Really formidable on the nose with blackcurrants and black cherry fruit, strong backbone, well-defined and rich, deep and sophisticated, elegant and with long aftertaste. Excellent wine. From barrel I rated it 91-92p, it improved a lot since then, so 94p now is well-deserved.

3. Lynch Bages
Very captivating nose of lack fruit, aromatic, tasty, fruity, very adorable, velvety on the palate, great balance. Heartbreaker wine. Not the big science and concentration here, but it smiles all over the place. Same rating now and then - 92p.

4. Pontet Canet
More of everything compared to Lynch Bages but this wine suffers a bit when I compare it to Ducru Beaucaillou and Montrose. From barrel it was 94p, after bottling it's less impressive. 93p.

Third flight:

1. Lafite Rothschild
Excellent and sophisticated nose of dark fruit, finesse and elegance, very rich and well-defined. Lighter than usual and I think it lacks some more depth. Maybe it just need time to put on weight and develop better. From barrel it was 95+p, now it's 94p?

2. Mouton Rothschild
Much better than Lafite with great sophisticated touch, stunning ripeness and depth. Nose is so aromatic and distinguished, captivating, intense and deep. Immense class and style. This wine was already one of my favorites from barrel (96p) and it didn't change from the bottle. 96+p.

Fourth flight:

1. VCC
Very good nose of dark cherries, light, lacks depth length and drive. Tastes like bottling deprived this wine of many things. Will it come back. From barrel it was 94-95p, but now I've great difficulty to award it more than 90p.

2. La Conseillante
Better wine than VCC, greater depth, concentration and length. Great deal of finesse and elegance combined with sophisticated touch. 94p from barrel, 92p from me now.

3. L'Eglise Clinet
Among my favorites from barrel and it didn't disappoint. What a rich, sophisticated and creamy wine. Velvety all over and incredibly balanced. Strong dark chocolate flavor on the nose. Immense wine. 96p now and then.

Fifth flight:

1. Pavie Macquin
Very dark color, excellent nose of black cherries, strong backbone, great depth, strong structure, great length, finishes strong but fruity. It's like this wine is saying - "Don't mess with me big boys - I can handle you all". Better than from barrel (92-93p), now fully deserved 95p.

2. Ausone
Well-defined on the nose, deep, aristocratic. Full hammer on the palate bordering brutality, what a richness and length. Animal wine of highest quality. 96p now and then.

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 7276_o.jpg
Nicklasss

Re: 15 Bordeaux 2011s tasted in Copenhagen - very interesting!

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for that report Greatbxfreak.

Seems like these 2011 did not disapoint too much in that specific tasting. I only bought some Calon Segur from that vintage, but if Ducru Beaucaillou is at the right price, i might go for some bottles.

Nic
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

How is the pricing gbf?
greatbxfreak

Post by greatbxfreak »

F.i. Pavie Macquin is in DK half a price of DB and Montrose.