Wine and A-Fib

jal

Wine and A-Fib

Post by jal »

I have been diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and have to undergo an ablation next month. While the conventional wisdom is to forgo alcohol and caffeine completely, I was wondering if our resident experts have any opinion on the subject. As it is, I've been drinking a lot less since the diagnosis (1-2 glasses a week).
Last edited by jal on Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Re: Wine and A-Fib

Post by Nicklasss »

Can't help about wine vs A-Fib, but hope that everything will go well for you in the coming weeks.

I guess moderation is the word. Limit yourself only to The good stuff.

Nic
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jacques,

Once you have the ablation and long as it's successful then you are back as good as new. Assuming you are not hypertensive then like always alcohol with moderation. Unfortunately there is a balance between the healthy benefits of red red wine with a cardio protective effect 1-2 glasses a day and believe it or not up to 5 glasses per week for women. Over this then you run into issues with increased cancer risk,hypertension and not say excess caloric intake and diabetes. Push the drinking to 1-2 bottles a day then you put your liver at risk along with a whole host of other health issues.

Good Luck
Danny
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree with Danny. If the ablation works and the fibrillation stops normal activities and diet can be resumed, no need for anticoagulants and no need to avoid alcohol, but in moderation, as in 12 oz of wine per day max. That's a general guideline, not intended as medical advice, disclaimer blah blah blah.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

And good luck, Jacques, though it's unlikely you'll need it. Pulmonary ablation has become a pretty common and routine procedure.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Good luck, Jacques. As the medDocs said, with very high probability you should be back to normal very soon after your operation; a matter of weeks (5-7) rather than months. What they did not say, but I think it is correct, is that light drinking is all you should do between now and the procedure, but you should not go cold turkey until maybe two(?) days before entering the hospital.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Good luck Jacques, my 53 year old brother Tom had it done way back when he was 33, he's been fine and healthy ever since.
jal

Post by jal »

Thanks for the info and all the good wishes, guys,

The symptoms are quite mild and the doctor doing the procedure said I have a very high chance of success. I am optimistic as well.
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Good luck Jacques. My BIL just had it done (our age) and it seemed to really help his cardio health.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Wishing you all the best, Jacques.
I'm sure it'll all work out fine :-).

Alex R.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Gail and I are wishing you the best, Jacques -- get back to full strength soon!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Fingers crossed Jacques, you will be sorted soon, no problem.

In the meantime i would recommend limiting your consumption to first and second growth claret and Grand Cru Burgundy.
jal

Post by jal »

Thanks for the wishes guys. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully back to full drinking mode by the end of January.
Best

Jacques