Beaujolais is nice, but...

RPCV

Beaujolais is nice, but...

Post by RPCV »

After a week in Lyon and enjoying the wonderful cuisine and nouveaux Beaujolais, I needed a red Bordeaux wine. Side bar.... the Nouveaux Beaujolais is quite good this year.

We started with a little sparkling Pinot Grigio from a Michigan winery on Old Mission peninsula called 2 Lads. Nice enough aperitif, a little sweet for me, but quite good nonetheless.

2000 Chasse-Spleen

Opened and decanted for 2 hours. The cork is perfect. Deep, dark red color...very youthful appearance with no bricking at the edges. This was all earth and current leaf to begin but evolved to show plum, cassis and tobacco. Dense and muscular palate with a medium-length finish. Very food-friendly wine with a finish that cleanses the buds.

I really like this wine; old school...this is a real Bordeaux lovers wine. No rush on these if you have them...years to go.
DavidG

Re: Beaujolais is nice, but...

Post by DavidG »

Nice note RPCV. I'm not a fan of Beaujolais Nouveau, though I do like cru Beaujolais. The Chasse-Spleen, though, sounds like the real deal.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Love Chasse Spleen. Bought a case of the 2010, may buy more.
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

I thought the 2000 Chasse-Spleen was top-notch and although fullish-bodied tasted old school and lead pencil/cedary. I recall reading some notes objecting that it was modern but could not agree. Wish I'd had more than the two bottles it is a satisfying wine.