Inspired...

RPCV

Inspired...

Post by RPCV »

By Stefan and his annual Thanksgiving notes. Over the last few days we have had:

1994 Château de Beaucastel Châteauneuf-du-Pape

Splendid bottle and sadly the last of a case. Probably the best one of the lot...isn’t it always that way?
Perfect cork. Decanted for sediment and served directly. Beautiful, mature color, bricking at the rim, a bit of funk on the nose with dried fruits and earth. Wonderful wine. I would drink up over the next 5 or so years if you have these in your cellar.

2002 Domaine Huet Vouvray Demi-Sec Le Haut-Lieu

Baked apple and flower aromas with a bee’s wax/honey flavor profile. Acids are buried in the fruit. Slight oxidation and lacking the lanolin profile I associate with aged vouvray. A good bottle, but not up to the usual Pinguet standard.

2010 Domaine Couroulu Vacqueyras Classique

Deep purple, smoke and herbs on the nose. A forward wine meant to be drunk young. Good, solid Vacqueyras and excellent with food.
DavidG

Re: Inspired...

Post by DavidG »

That Beaucastel has been drinking beautifully the last few years.
RPCV

Post by RPCV »

Indeed it has...an overlooked vintage for Beaucastel, IMHO. Anyone noticed a change in style to a "cleaner" aromatic profile in recent years? Say, after '01?
stefan

Post by stefan »

Yes, cleaner and, IMO, as of now not as interesting. Maybe these youngsters will mature well as the structure seems fine.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I agree. Loved the funk. Still bought up through 2010 and will keep holding them in hopes they will still turn out well.