Thanksgiving 2014, Day 7

stefan

Thanksgiving 2014, Day 7

Post by stefan »

Wednesday all of us working adults took the afternoon off to visit Shea’s school because she and her classmates had prepared performances for parents and other relatives. Afterwards the women went to an upscale department store (T. J. Maxx, I think) for pre-Thanksgiving shopping while the guys picked up the turkey, some trimmings, and, of course, growlers, and spent the rest of the afternoon checking that the contents of the growlers were sound.

Lucie made her usual Wednesday-before-turkey-day minestrone and we drank

1993 Ca’ Rome de Marengo Barbaresco. I bought this at auction because I wanted to try an old Bararesco. The tannins are completely resolved and the fruit impresses me as being good for such an old Bararesco, not that I have any experience tasting such. The finish is also surprisingly strong. “Too subtle for soup,” opines stefanJr, and I agree.

1999 Michele Chiarlo Barolo Tortoniano. Deeper and more expressive than the ’93 Barbaresco (duh now) with a sticky finish. The mid palate is strong and the flavor is good. It complements the soup.

After dinner some of stefanJr’s dropped by and he opened

2002 Ridge Geyserville. I know this flavorful wine well, but stefanJr’s tastes slightly younger than mine, probably because he stores it at 52F while mine is in the warm part of my storage, 65-67F.

Darren’s colleague brought an interesting wine:

1999 St. Innocent Late Harvest Pinot Gris. The nose and taste is very fresh, and the wine goes well with Lucie’s apple tart. It is a bit light, and I find that one glass is sufficient.

Happy Thanksgiving to BWEers everywhere from the stefan clan!
dstgolf

Re: Thanksgiving 2014, Day 7

Post by dstgolf »

Great reports Stefan and its nice to live vicariously through someone elses reporting. It's the next best thing to drinking yourself which I have not been able to do suffering with my first encounter with gout!! Not fun and has put a serious damper on my current lifestyle and likely future as well. For those that have had gout I can now really sympathize and for those that haven't I don't with this upon you.

Happy Thankgiving to all and I hope my/your wishes come true!!
Danny
stefan

Post by stefan »

Oh, that is awful, Danny. I hope you get it under control so that you can once again enjoy "the good life".
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Danny, hope you are feeling better soon.