2005 Meyney

robertgoulet

2005 Meyney

Post by robertgoulet »

This wine changes quite a bit in the glass...open, then a bit closed...leathery, then more of a fruit focused style...where is this going...?

After a hour this wine has settled nicely...the fruit is quite dense, hat tip to the vintage...though it still harbors those classic bordeaux characteristics...

If I was drinking this blind, I might guess Margaux terroir based on the nose...gorgeous perfume, exotic cedar spice, floral notes, minerals

The palate leads you away from those Margaux finessed aromas, the fruit is quite ripe, dark raspberry and plums, tobacco leaf, balsamic, earthy leathery notes chime in...fairly long finish, some tight tannic structure and hints of heat on tbe finish.

This has the old world mixed with the new...I bought a few bottles here local for $39 each...I believe I received quite a deal...This is a keeper
DavidG

Re: 2005 Meyney

Post by DavidG »

Sounds like a very nice wine at that price! Do you think cellar time will make it even better?
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

Don't know much about recent vintages but Meyney used to be built for long aging. I bet from a big year like 2005 it should be good for a long time. Still have bottles of 1982, 1986 and 1989 Meyney in the cellar. Two bottles of the 1982 opened in 20012 were in great shape.

Chris Bublitz
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

I was never a particular fan of this Cru Bourgeois and after a long series of mostly disappointing vintages I gave up to buy Meyney about ten years ago. The last really excellent bottle I remember was a 1990. Apparently things have changed in recent years.
Roel

Post by Roel »

So did prices... Not really a bargain these days. Lilian Ladouys sells for almost half the price and that is a property to follow. OTOH, as is stated, in the good old days excellent terroir and winemaking found their way into the bottles produced in the 1980's. Have a few 1989's and these are still lovely to drink.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Rudi, I had a similar experience with Meyney. I bought 2 cases of the 2000 on futures. When they came in, I tried a bottle and immediately returned the unopened case. The wine is now not bad, but weak compared to e.g. the 1995 or the wonderful 1989.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

David, sure this will age fine...maybe smoothing out the back end, there is plenty of fruit to spare so no worries there...but I am really liking this wine