Thanksgiving 2014, Day 8.

stefan

Thanksgiving 2014, Day 8.

Post by stefan »

We resolved to drink only American wines on Thanksgiving day, so we started in the afternoon with:

2002 Paul Roger Sparkling Chardonnay. This American version of Pol Roger Blanc de Blanc is first rate in every respect. Fruity and yeasty, it is tasty on the sides and has a lingering finish. There are no better sparkling wines near the same price point. “Delicious,” exclaims stefanJr, “and it does not need food.” Lucie adds, “tart, caramelized delicious apples that are both seer and tart.” stefan 93. Lucie 91. stefanJr 92. Irena 91. I asked Lucie about her score, which looked low. She said that she has a tendency to rank the first wine, especially a Champagne that she likes, too high, so she left room for the better ones to come. I replied that she was not going to drink a better sparkling wine this trip.

During the first of three disastrous football games for the stefan clan we drank

2004 Cristom Marjorie Pinot Noir. Popped and pour, the wine leaps into your nose. This well balanced and mature Willamette PN has bright red berry fruit and spice. ”Nice peppery berries,” says stefanJr. Irena chimes in with, “This wine is crazy! It has incense.” s 92. sJr 90-91. Mule 91. L 91.

2006 Shea Wine Cellars Shea Pinot Noir. I shipped this wine for granddaughter Shea, but, being six, she has temporarily lost her taste for wine. “Um, I like that,” says Mule. I dunno. This yellow fruit wine has a green streak. Lucie liked it at first, but later says, “Some candy fruit. It is not as good as an hour ago.” s 86. sJr 85-86. L 89. M 89.

With turkey and trimmings we drank

1998 Panther Hill Freedom Hill Pinot Noir. Rather dry and grassy by itself, this old Willamette PN comes alive with the food and it fruit shows. “A bit of acetone,” complains Lucie. I did not notice at first, but she is correct. s 89. L 90. Irena 90. M 91. sJr 90.

2007 St. Innocent Momtazi Special Selection Pinot Noir. “Ridiculous nose,” says stefanJr. In it quite dusty, in the Momtazi style. It also is good with the food, but in a different way. The wine is less interesting in the mouth, which disappoints stefanJr and me. s 91. L 92. I 92. M 92. sJr 90.

2012 Chehelam Stoller Pinot Noir. The wine has enough flavor, but it is acidic and has some dirt that does not add to the interest. Another disappointment, especially after the Corral Creek we drank the other day. s 87-90.
Claret

Re: Thanksgiving 2014, Day 8.

Post by Claret »

Momtazi is an interesting site, so different from the usual St. I offerings from Eola-Amity.
Glenn
stefan

Post by stefan »

I agree, Glenn. That makes Momtazi a more difficult wine than other SIs. It took me a while to understand it, but now I love it.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I am friends with Tahmiene Momtazi winemaker for Maysara.. we got to hang out when she was in Orlando promoting her wines...I liked her Jamsheed '08 Pinot ..this wine displayed a welcomed Burgundian profile..her Asha Pinot made the wine speculator top 100, either last yr or the yr before