Thanksgiving 2014, Day 9.

stefan

Thanksgiving 2014, Day 9.

Post by stefan »

After polishing off a couple of unfinished whites from previous days, with turkey soup we drank

2013 St. Innocent Pinot Blanc. “Nice aperitif wine, and it also goes with the soup,” says Lucie. Both stefanJr and I say that this is the best Oregon Pinot Blanc we have drunk. The flavors hold forever and a day. stefan 91 (but 95+ for a PB).

While stefanJr and Mule were doing an oyster & growler run, I opened

2009 Fontaine-Gagnard Chassagne-Montrachet Chenevottes. The nose is beautifully floral. Although I don’t consider Chassagne an oyster wine, the acid structure suggested that this one would be good with the oysters. It was, but there are better matches. stefan 91. stefanJr 92. Irena 93. Lucie 92. Mule 92.

2005 Louis Michel Montmain. Better with the oysters than the Chassagne is. “Botrytis,” says stefanJr, trying to hold back a sneeze. The Chablis is even better with Bucheron and stefanJr thinks that the pairing of the Montmain with St. Simeon may be the best food/wine match ever. s92. sJr 92. I 88. L 91. M 91.

2002 Delamotte Blanc de Blanc. This sparkler is good with the oysters, but the Chablis provides a better match. Actually, a Les Clos Chablis from Louis Michel would have been perfect because the oysters (which we think were Kumamoto) have a very intense and lasting flavor. “I like this better than the Chablis,” opines Irena. The Champagne has quite tasty citrus but is less refined than I remember. It has a strong attack but dies too quickly. s 89. L 92 (but she liked the ’02 Pol Roger much more). M 91. sJr irrelevant.

With leftover turkey we drank

2001 Gouges Nuits-St-Georges Porrets. This is not bad with Thanksgiving food. Strong and balanced but not enticing, the wine does not evoke emotion.
Claret

Re: Thanksgiving 2014, Day 9.

Post by Claret »

Walter Scott and Teutonic also make excellent OR PB. Teutonic is bone dry and a mineral bomb.
Glenn
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Hi,

I had 2012 Villa Bel Air, Graves blanc with my oysters this evening.

You speak of "oyster & growler ".

Please what is growler?

TIA,
AR
stefan

Post by stefan »

A growler is a large container for beer, Alex. stefanJr refills his 64 ounce growlers at Growler Nation.