Thanksgiving 2014, Day 10.

stefan

Thanksgiving 2014, Day 10.

Post by stefan »

While the younger adults were were working in the garage, Lucie and I introduced Shea and Elle to pie ironed ham & cheese sandwiches toasted in a fire pit. While inventorying his wine frig, stefanJr came across a forgotten wine that he thought might go well with the sandwiches:

2006 St. Innocent Freedom Hill Pinot Blanc. Not surprisingly, this old PB has some oxidation, so Lucie refuses to take even one sip. For me it is a pleasant quaff, and the oxidation is OK with the toast.

During football we drank

2004 Terra Blanca Merlot. The smell jumps from the bottle into your nose. “Oh, wow, that’s good,” exclaims Lucie. The wine is tasty and rich, but one dimensional. IMO, Merlot that is this good should have some Cabernet added to it. stefan 90. stefanJr 90. Lucie 90. Mule 92.

1987 Beaulieu Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. At one time considered one of the top Cabernet producers in CA, by ’87 BV’s reputation had fallen. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed virtually every bottle of the Georges de Latour that I have drunk. Lucie objects to the barnyard character of the wine (or maybe it is the hint of oxidation that bothers her), but everyone else likes the wine despite the flaw. “So much sweet fruit and some tobacco,” observes stefanJr. s 88. sJr 91. M 90. Upon questioning, I clarified that I deducted three points from my score because of the flaw.

1990 La Louviere. Badly corked. However, Lucie, who is almost insensitive to TCA, drinks more than a glass and says that the core of the wine is good.

With turkey and mushrooms in a wine sauce over dressing or mashed potatoes we drank

2004 Chevillon NSG Les Chaignots. Chevillon hit a home run with his 2004s. The Chaignots is a peppery, briery NSG. It has flavorful blackberries on the sides. s 92. sJr 91-92. L 90. M 91. I 90.

2001 Nicolas Potel Clos Vougeot. “Wow, wow, that is ridiculous with a capital DIC,” shouts stefanJr. The wine is indeed fantastic; Vougeot at its best. “This wine lasts for five minutes,” exclaims Lucie, “it is beautifully balanced—in the nose you know what it will taste like.” “Wow, this smells crazy,” pipes in Irena. “Like lavender flowers,” says stefanJr, “this is maybe the best Pinot Noir I have drunk.” It is way up my list, too. s 95. L 94. sJr 96-97. M 94. I 95.