2009 Cantemerle

Rudi Finkler

2009 Cantemerle

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Since we recently had an excellent 2008 Cantemerle, I was curious about the 2009 last night.
Though hiding its complex fruit behind a wall of tannins, the finish was impressive. After a couple of hours, the nose was a little bit more interesting, but the wine was still in closed mode. Certainly an outstanding wine, but, at least at present, the 2008 Cantemerle has more to offer...
robert goulet

Re: 2009 Cantemerle

Post by robert goulet »

Though I seem to find most '09 fairly open for consumption, I did not with the Cantemerle...so I concur with Rudi...but my experience left me concerned...my bottle did not appear to have a lot of structure...though this could be an anomaly.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Maybe your bottle was so closed that the wine even hid its structure, Robert.
BTW, as for closed wines, I had a painful experience with a case of 1986 Potensac. Back then, Potensac was considered as one of the finest Cru Bourgeois and my hopes were high. But even after five years in the bottle, this wine was so closed that I could only detect high acidity and rough tannins. Undrinkable. After a few more years in the bottle, the wine began to show better.
Roel

Post by Roel »

I only drink the 2009 Bourgeois now and even these need air. I would not touch a 2009 GCC for at least a couple of years.
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Rudi, I was reading a report that with some '86 wines, the fruit has fading and now only the harsh tannins remain...and that these wines will never recover...could have been the situation here
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

I just had the 09 giscours a few months ago....it was very expressive, I loved it