TN: TN: some good ones including Bordeaux

Harry C.

TN: TN: some good ones including Bordeaux

Post by Harry C. »

• 2000 Les Cailloux (Lucien et André Brunel) Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Centenaire - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Châteauneuf-du-Pape (12/7/2014)
    Garnet. Nose reminded me immediately of a Guigal all syrah, like La Turque. Glass filling, nose filling. Garrigue, dark berries, anise. Taste was similar and delightful. (95 pts.)
  • 1996 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (12/7/2014)
    Garnet. Initially a good Pauillac nose, but decanted for 2 hours. At dinner, much more green herb in the nose, but Pauillac in the rear. Tobacco, leather. Taste was smooth, rich, medium weight. Nice (93 pts.)
  • 1997 Carmenet Cabernet Sauvignon Moon Mountain Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley (12/7/2014)
    Deep garnet. Nose of berries and leather, tobacco. Taste was similar. A touch acid on the end. A good 97. (92 pts.)
  • 2010 Aubert Chardonnay Reuling Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/28/2014)
    pale gold. Aromas of vanilla citrus and clove. Served too cold, with warming mouth filling richness of vanilla, mango, pear, citrus. Good. (93 pts.)
  • 2001 Pride Mountain Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/28/2014)
    Garnet. nose was very shy and only came out to play with vigorous swirling. Blackberry and plum. Taste was more typical for a Pride. Rich, blackberries, anise. (90 pts.)
  • 2002 Moët & Chandon Champagne Cuvée Dom Pérignon - France, Champagne (11/27/2014)
    Pale gold. Nose of brioche and vanilla, pear. Taste was more pear and citrus, acidity poking through on the end. Will age effortlessly for 10-20 years. (93 pts.)
  • 2008 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (11/27/2014)
    Beautiful red garnet-like the 2009s. Nose all young Pauillac, black and red fruits with a hint of tobacco. Mouth medium weight, berries and 'asian spices.' A touch thin on the midpalate. (91 pts.)
stefan

Re: TN: TN: some good ones including Bordeaux

Post by stefan »

Nice wines, Harry. Last night for the first of my 70th birthday dinners we also drank one of the top 1996s--La Mission Haut Brion--with duck breasts a la Judd. I was surprised that it had evolved so much that the wine had tobacco in addition to the cassis and dark berries. No doubt I will like it even more in ten years, but it rates 94 for drinking now.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice set of wines Harry.

Jimhow gave me a bottle of the 2008 chateau Lynch Bages, but as it is Simone's birthyear, I should open it with her when she's 18.

Happy birthday Stefan. 70 is a nice mark.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Harry, the '96 Lynch and the '00 Les Cailloux sound like real treats! And Jo dogs among the others either. Glad to see you're drinking well.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

Happy Birthday, stefan! I think I'll start having 70th birthday dinners soon...