TN:1996 Harlan Estate Proprietary-1989 Beaucastel-1990 Pegau

HarryKaris

TN:1996 Harlan Estate Proprietary-1989 Beaucastel-1990 Pegau

Post by HarryKaris »

Last week I had dinner with friends in the Capital Grille in Washington DC.
Despite early reservation we had to wait over an hour before we could get seated......very annoying. The food in general was also disappointing nothing special an far from 'fine cuisine'.

Anyhow, the wines we drank were all outstanding.

The 1996 Harlan (decanted for 1 hour) was massive and extremely rich and jammy. Well flavored with plenty of cassis, tobacco and warm spices. Low acidity and ripe tannin.
The finish is extremely long and remains rich. Without doubt an outstanding wine but not really my style.

It took the 1990 Pegau about 1 1/2 hour to come around. Old style CdP with a lush fruit core. Strong and intense mid palate - well balanced and attractive although medium long finish.

For me the best showing wine of the evening was the 1989 Beaucastel. Without doubt one of the best bottles ever - and I had many.
Of course with that typical dungy nose with plenty of truffle. The wine was extremely well concentrated and pure with plenty of fresh fruit. Perfectly balanced, everything what you would expect from an outstanding wine was there - lush and seductive as the best CdP but also sophisticated and deliberate like the best Bordeaux. The good freshness made this a perfect food companion. Great, great wine......

CdP-Harry

Ps Jim, isn't it possible to make the extend the Subject space a bit?
DavidG

Re: TN:1996 Harlan Estate Proprietary-1989 Beaucastel-1990 Pegau

Post by DavidG »

Wow, all three wines sound great! Next time you're in DC, Harry, ask me for some restaurant recommendations...

We had a fabulous tasting dinner Saturday night at Marcel's, with a superb '99 Ogier Cote Rotie as the star of the evening.