Holidays are coming

Nicklasss

Holidays are coming

Post by Nicklasss »

I had a great year with kids/MC and at work, but geez I'm more tired than ever. My Christmas holidays are starting next weekend, and they will be welcome.

Last night, a small dinner with MC's parents, and we drank two nice bottle. I opened an unexpensive Gruet Blanc de blancs Champagne, that was a nice starter. Nice mousse, clean nose of yellow fruits, flowers. Mouth was zesty, good balance, small bitterness. Light and very easy to enjoy. TN: 85.

After, with steaks, we had The 2010 Penfold's Bin 407 Cabernet Sauvignon. I'm no fan of Australia wines, but i accept that Penfold's is an excellent producer, with kind of austerity In their wines, In a country where a lot of producers are trying The big/boud/sweet/oaky style. That Bin 407 was very nice, dark red, nose restrained of dark berries, leather, chocolate and something herbal. In mouth, nice touch, great tannins, flavors of blackcurrants, rasberries, mint, earth. Final is very long, noble oak, tannins, currants. It has been sometimes since I had a nice Aussie wine like that one. Still very young, will develop very well over 15 years, i think. TN: 91+.

Nic
Attachments
Champagne is always nice!
Champagne is always nice!
image.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 335 times
Michael-P

Re: Holidays are coming

Post by Michael-P »

Nick:

Nice TN's and sounds like a nice dinner.

I plan to open some large formats of Cal Cabs for the family next week.
But not the fancy stuff BD does for special occasions.
Still looking forward to it!

Michael-P
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Nic,

Thanks for sharing.
It has been a tiring end of the year for me too.
I'm looking forward to a little R&R at Christmas.

All the best to you and your family.

Alex
stefan

Post by stefan »

Lucie & I will get together with both of our children and their families for a couple of weeks in Berkeley. This time I do not have to carry wine as I picked up 4 cases at WineBid.com a couple of weeks ago and one case at PC. stefanJr will bring a case from Oregon and, of course, son in law Judd has things he wants us to try, so we should have a enough without doing major shopping.
Last edited by stefan on Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom In DC

Post by Tom In DC »

stefan wrote:... so we should have a enough without doing major shopping.
I dunno, stefan - we've seen what you all are capable of. Sounds like fun, though.

Thanks for the update, Nic - we've enjoyed the Gruet a few times, quite a surprise from New Mexico.

Our son and daughter-in-law will be home over the holidays, and a nephew is getting into wine so we'll certainly open a few good bottles.

Ciao,
Tom