TN: first Bdx of the year - 2005 Les Grands Chênes, 2010 Rochemorin

DavidG

TN: first Bdx of the year - 2005 Les Grands Chênes, 2010 Rochemorin

Post by DavidG »

Starting 2015 off right with a couple of inexpensive Bordeaux.

A portion of the Grands Chênes was used to marinade a butterflied leg of lamb, then forgotten and left on the counter until the next day, when it was rediscovered and drunk with the lamb. It held up well after a day at room temp. It lived up to its name (great oaks) but was very pleasing if you are not oak-averse, and it went really well with the lamb.

The Rochemorin is the 2010 version of a wine (the 2009) that Robert Goulet gushed over about this time last year. The 2010 appears to be a hit for its price as well.
  • 2005 Château Les Grands Chênes - France, Bordeaux, Médoc (1/1/2015)
    Cellared since release, perfect fill and cork. Used about 1/3 of the bottle for a lamb marinade, then consumed the next day with the dish. Held up very well with notes similar to prior bottles. Dark red to rim. Dark cherry, cassis, beef on nose, full body, ripe fruit, noticeable oak, smooth and well-balanced, great QPR, very good to excellent.
  • 2010 Château de Rochemorin - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (1/2/2015)
    Pop and pour a few hours after bringing this one home from the store. Dark red to rim. Opens up nicely in less than 30 minutes to show Graves-y stony minerally earth, ripe fresh red fruits, cherry, bit of leather and cassis on the nose. Medium body, nice balance with crisp fresh fruits, minerality, palate follows the nose, bit of tannins, medium finish. Nice Graves typicity and great QPR. Not sure if this is made for the long haul but should continue to drink well for the next 5-10 years. Very good to excellent.
Nicklasss

Re: TN: first Bdx of the year - 2005 Les Grands Chênes, 2010 Rochemorin

Post by Nicklasss »

Thanks for the report David.

I'll buy some bottles as these two wines are in a price range I like.

I'll report soon on the 2001 Haut Bailly opened the 1st, a Pessac at a right place right now, in term of maturation.

Nic
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Will have to check out '10 rochemorin...luvd the '09 was my go to in the mid $20 range
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I think you'll like it. Never had the 2009 but the 2010 is already drinking well despite the reputation of the vintage.
AlexR

first Bdx of the year - 2005 Les Grands Chênes, 2010 Rochemorin

Post by AlexR »

David,

Posts such as yours warm the cockles of my little ole heart :-).

Why? Because the wines you cited are affordable by anyone. They are good, fruity, and typical of their origins.

What more could one want?

AR
robert goulet

Post by robert goulet »

Yes..Rochemorin!
Fun little bottle, found some bottle variation, but no poor examples...actually need to revisit...maybe have to do a side by side '09 '10 if they have both ...well done...though my experience with grand chenes has not been as good ...though never tasted the '05....cheers
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Alex, both of these would be good cellar-stockers and should have at least a 10-year life expectancy from the date of the vintage. In fact, the Grands Chênes needed years to absorb its oak, but the Rochemorin was fine right out of the gates. I have no idea if they will develop true Bordeaux complexity, but they are very satisfying and Bordeaux-y enough for me. Are they this good in average years, or are they two boats that rose with the tide of an outstanding vintage?

RG, I'm tempted to go back for more of the Rochemorin, though lord knows the cellar is full enough. The local Total Wine has both the 2009 and 2010 in stock at $25. The Grands Chênes was pretty oaky. To a fault. Until about a year ago, when it started to come together. Don't get me wrong, it's still noticeably oaky, but if that doesn't bother you, the 2005 is starting to drink well. Unfortunately, I drank through my stash waiting for it to come around. It finally did, at least for my palate, with my last bottle at age 10.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

So I went and picked up some 2009 and 2010 Rochemorin, and compared them side by side with the following results. RG, you need to do the same so we can compare notes.
  • 2009 Château de Rochemorin - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (1/5/2015)
    Opened to compare to the 2010.

Pop and pour same day as purchased. Dark red to rim. Forward nose with show Graves-y minerally earth, very ripe red fruits, cherry, cassis and some roasted aromas on the nose. Medium to full body, nice balance with very ripe fruits, subdued tannins, medium finish. Nice Graves typicity and great QPR. Like the 2010, probably not made for the long haul but should continue to drink well for the next 5-10 years. Very good to excellent.

Compared to the 2010, this is richer, riper and fuller-bodied, but less acidic/fresh on the balance spectrum with some roasted notes that the 2010 doesn't have. I prefer the 2010 on this evening but both offer a very pleasurable drinking experience.
  • 2010 Château de Rochemorin - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan (1/5/2015)
    Opened to compare to the 2009. Identical to last bottle:

Pop and pour same day as purchase. Dark red to rim. Opens up nicely in less than 30 minutes to show Graves-y stony minerally earth, ripe fresh red fruits, cherry, bit of leather and cassis on the nose. Medium body, nice balance with crisp fresh fruits, minerality, palate follows the nose, bit of tannins, medium finish. Nice Graves typicity and great QPR. Not sure if this is made for the long haul but should continue to drink well for the next 5-10 years. Very good to excellent.

Compared to the 2009, this is a little less rich and less full-bodied, a bit crisper, fresher and more minerally. I slightly prefer the 2010.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the nice notes, David. Already some years ago, I lost interest in the wines of château Les Grands Chênes - to modern to me. But it is quite possible that I still have a few bottles of the 2005 in my cellar. BTW, their 2001 Cuvée Prestige was one of the fines AC Médoc wines I ever had.
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Rudi - if you still have some, see if the 2005 Grand Chenes tastes any less oaky and modern than it did on release. I've never had the Cuvee Prestige.

And if you see it, try the Rochemorin - that one is less modern than the Grands Chenes to my palate anyway.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

Thanks for the tip! If I remember correctly, I recently saw 2009 or 2010 Rochemorin in the wine department of our local supermarket...