Can a simple 2010 Left Bank, save the weekend?

Nicklasss

Can a simple 2010 Left Bank, save the weekend?

Post by Nicklasss »

Since the beginning of the weekend, opened a 2013 SP 68 from Sicilia (mix of Nero d'Avola and Frappato) and a 2012 Jean Foillard Morgon. Both wines were good, but I was expecting more as the 2013 SP 68 is receiving good reviews from local critics (this is why you should not read them!) and a previous bottle of the Foillard Morgon was excellent, but the one last night was very tight and numb.

To save my weekend, I opened tonight the 2010 Château Cossieu-Coutelin, a Saint-Estèphe, betting that this wine should be excellent from that excellent AOC and vintage. The wine is in the decanter, and I'll report more later.

Nic
Nicklasss

Re: Can a simple 2010 Left Bank, save the weekend?

Post by Nicklasss »

The 2010 Chateau Cossieu-Coutelin.
Attachments
Saint-Estèphe
Saint-Estèphe
image.jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 1311 times
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Bottoms up!

AR
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Happy that Indianapolis is having the lead over Denver (I know, it is far away from over), that 2010 Château Cossieu-Coutelin is well made and representative of 2010. 52% Merlot and 48% Cabernet Sauvignon, medium dark red color, the nose is fragrant, with dark red berries, blackcurrants, violet flowers, charcoal and oak. Very nice austere nose. Mouth also is very Saint-Estèphe, severe, blackcurrants flavors, minerals, wood, good amount of tannins, and acidity, grainy final, medium intensity, raisins, decent long final on flowers, wood and more Blueberries. Very well made and representing perfectly that AOC. No fault, and will be good for many years. TN : 89. and "only" 13.5 % alcohol.

This wine prove that 2010 is a great vintage. Remind me a bit the Saint-Estèphe Parcelles from Derenoncourt, and this is a quality.

Nic
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Pour out the ice tea, add in the wine!
Roel

Post by Roel »

I yet have to find a single 2010 Bdx I didn't like. Even the lesser properties made something worth enjoying in 2010, which happens to be my marriage year #stockup :mrgreen:
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Glad to hear your bottle turned out well, Nic.

Roel, you are a lucky man. After 3-4 years of swearing I would not buy a single bottle of 2010 Bdx, BWE wore me down. I now have about a case and a half resting in the cellar. Lesser wines for early drinking, and every one I've opened so far has been excellent.
stefan

Post by stefan »

Gosh, David, you are about half my age and have only 1 1/2 cases of 2010? I have around 8 cases. You should buy, Buy, BUY!
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Unfortunately, the leftover of the 2010 Château Cossieu-Coutelin, 5 days after, was dead and rough. So keep the wine in the cellar, I would say less than 10 Years.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

I consider the ability of a wine to drink well for 1-2 days after opening as suggestive that it will last, but I wouldn't expect any red Bdx to hold up for 5 days after opening.
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

Hi David.

Most of the time, when I open a bottle of wine to drink with MC, normally we drink 2/3 to 3/4. I always put the leftover, cork back on the bottle, In the fridge. The limited quantity of air in the bottle, have a maximum power of oxydation, but I agree, it is way more oxygen for the small quantity of wine in the bottle (compared to an open bottle, that you did not pour wine).

Most of the time (60 to 75 %), the wine is still good after a week. Good here mean still drinkable with pleasure. But the other are becoming dumb, rough, acidic, without fruit, sometime after 2 days only... The wines that are still good after a week, I think are well made to take time to age. The other, not much.

I do that with red wines only. The white, i keep the leftover for cooking. And the bad red too.

Of course, nothing scientific in all that, just impressions.

Nic
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

You have better luck than I do, Nic, but probably because I often forget or am too lazy to put the wine in the fridge. I think that's even more important than replacing the cork. There's more than enough air in the bottle after 1/2 has been poured out to allow oxidation to proceed even if the cork is replaced. But lowering the temperature should slow the process significantly.