Second wine of Chateaux

Nicklasss

Second wine of Chateaux

Post by Nicklasss »

In a vintage like 2010, do you think or did your tried any Second wine worth the search?

Nic
Roel

Re: Second wine of Chateaux

Post by Roel »

The 2009 Lacoste-Borie (2nd wine of GPL) provided me lots of pleasure. It also fared very well in a blind tasting.
jckba

Post by jckba »

I haven't tried any that I can think of but I ended up purchasing cases of both the La Dame de Montrose and La Gravette de Certan as I can't imagine that they won't be stellar values in the near future as I picked both up in the lower $40 range per.
robertgoulet

Post by robertgoulet »

Lacoste borie is my shhhh second....it is a cracker and best bang for the buck back up....2010 kills...for me better than a lot of the big named cru bourgeois
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

a 98 Pavillon rouge (Margaux 2nd) was in good form last night but time to drink up.
AlexR

Post by AlexR »

Jay, I'm finding that about most 1998 Bordeaux, up to and including Château Latour, which I have had on two occasions not long ago.

However, it is rightly pointed out that the 98 Right Bankers are more successful.

Alex R.
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

I don't drink second wines.
I don't want the left overs, the second best grapes of a property.
Rudi Finkler

Post by Rudi Finkler »

I'm not as strict as you, Jim. :)
If quality and price are right, I don't care whether it is a vin de garde or a second wine. BTW, fortunately, the quality of many second wines has increased dramatically in the last decade...
johnz

Post by johnz »

"BTW, fortunately, the quality of many second wines has increased dramatically in the last decade..."

MAYBE, BUT SO HAS THE PRICE -- to ridiculous levels for many 2ds and the quality is rarely there -- I'm with Jim -- skip the 2ds and search out the cru b's, Castillions, Fronsacs or Moulis wines that are just as good or better for less money.
Winona Chief

Post by Winona Chief »

johnz wrote:MAYBE, BUT SO HAS THE PRICE -- to ridiculous levels for many 2ds and the quality is rarely there -- I'm with Jim -- skip the 2ds and search out the cru b's, Castillions, Fronsacs or Moulis wines that are just as good or better for less money
I agree. Most of the 2nd wines of big name Bordeaux producers have reached absurd levels. Haven't tasted 2009 Lacoste Borie so I can't comment on that one. I would consider a 2nd wine only if it was reasonably priced and I was pretty sure it very good.

Chris Bublitz