What is your favourite super second?

Comte Flaneur

Re: What is your favourite super second?

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Tonight the burgundy slightly outshone the super second

Blanquito

Post by Blanquito »

How's the 95 PLL, Ian?

I thought it tremendous at that Pauillac tasting in NYC back in 06, filled with charm and potential, and I bought 5 bottles. But that was a long time ago now, is it ready to go?
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

That first pic suggests they were all mind-bendingly good.
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

It is amazing what technology can do these days. That picture was taken with a gizmo called an iPad, manufactured by a company called Apple.

The Pichon Lalande 1995 is drinking very well and was most enjoyable. It still has some rough edges which I think will smooth out over time. It is more rumbustious than svelte. So if you like a bit of rough...the nose is complex classic Pichon Lalande. There's coffee, mocha and gravel, minerals, lead pencil and burnt raspberry. It is fresh, grippy and vibrant. Maureen thought the mid palate was a tad hollow, but the finish was good. There is still some unresolved tannins on the back end. So I would say this is in the early part of its drinking window.

Nevertheless this is a wine that has always showed well in my experience. In 2012 a group of us including NM did a horizontal of 1995s and it won quite comfortably with only GPL coming close, in a field which also included the likes of Ducru and Angelus.

I think what makes this wine perform well amongst its left bank peers is its relatively high merlot content and relatively low Cabernet Sauvignon content. The Cabernet tannins are still pretty spikey in the 1995 vintage. This was bottle number six out of a case I retrieved from a friend who was storing it for me while I was living in America. I am going to try to hold off drinking the rest, because I suspect this wine will be even better in 2020 and 2025.
keith prothero

Post by keith prothero »

But not a patch on the 96 surely Ian ?
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Agreed Keith.

The 1996 is significantly better. It has no rough edges, and is pretty flawless really.