TN: 1994 Château L'Evangile (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

DavidG

TN: 1994 Château L'Evangile (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

Post by DavidG »

Why I love Bordeaux:
  • 1994 Château L'Evangile - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol (2/20/2015)
    Cellared since release. Perfect cork and fill. Pop and pour. Dark red core, lightening but no bricking at the rim. Nose is immediately and wonderfully complex with cassis, tobacco, leather and sweet damp forest floor. Medium to full body, cassis, leather, earth and iron minerality on the palate. At that perfectly mature spot where the tertiary elements are in beautiful harmony with the aging fruit. Excellent structural balance, tannins and acid well-integrated with none of the 1994 vintage's characteristic harshness in evidence. Medium-long finish. Six hours later the last sips do show faded fruit and some harshness, but for 4 hours the wine was singing. Far exceeded my expectations. This is what cellars are for. Outstanding.
RDD

Re: TN: 1994 Château L'Evangile (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

Post by RDD »

I've always thought 1994 L'Evangile and 1994 Clinet were some of the best bargains ever. HUGELY underrated. I remember McArthurs was closing them out for like 30/ btl. I told Susan back up the car and open the trunk. We still have quite a few and glad they are doing well.

You can chase vintage superstars but it is really fun to seek out the best in "off" vintages. The Left bank was not so good in 1994. Plus RMP hyped it and them dumped on it. But the Right bank has some real deals.

Also if David says outstanding , it is OUTSTANDING.
Claret

Post by Claret »

The one time I had the 94 it was excellent.
Glenn
DavidG

Re: TN: 1994 Château L'Evangile (France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol)

Post by DavidG »

L'Evangile and Clinet are the only 1994s I have left. I got them from MacArthur but must have missed that sale. Still a good deal back in the day.