The Duke of Burgundy annexes Aquitaine

Comte Flaneur

The Duke of Burgundy annexes Aquitaine

Post by Comte Flaneur »

To get in the mood we drank this superb white burgundy with prawns. A luscious texture with a flintiness, ripe fruit and raciness on the palate. PYCM rarely fails to hit the spot.

Image[/URL]p

Then with beef on the bone the two main protagonists entered the ring.

In the blue corner Chateau Pichon Longueville Baron 1988 and in the red corner La Pousse D'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos De La Bousse D'Or, Monopole.

The Pichon out pointed the Volnay in the early rounds with its to die for entry of earth, gravel, leather, tobacco, minerals, hints of garrigue but above all wet stones after a spring shower. 

The Volnay is perfumed and elegant and gradually started to make an impression, and opened up beautifully with beguiling smokiness, sauvage, sousbois and sensual texture. It is svelte and elegant, perfectly balanced, and finishes beautifully.

By now the Volnay is floating like a butterfly, stinging like a bee picking off the Baron at will. The Baron has some asparagus notes on the palate, but is plodding by comparison, and shows some hints of drying on the finish. On its own a very complete, upstanding and satisfying wine, but last night it was outclassed (but it least it didn't hit the canvas). 

La Pousse D'Or Volnay 1er Cru Clos De La Bousse D'Or, Monopole: 95 points

Pichon Longueville Baron 1988: 92 points

On Friday night we had this.

We really enjoyed it. It had creamy oak and luscious fruit. It has benefitted from ageing. A modern wine, which is recognisable as Merlot, less so as a St-Emilion. 
Nicklasss

Re: The Duke of Burgundy annexes Aquitaine

Post by Nicklasss »

Nice comments and pictures.

I have some 2002 Angerville Champans Volnay I would like to open, but that 1996 Pousse d'Or Volnay make me think that maybe I should wait 4-5 more years. But geez, waiting a wine that long is like a torture.

Nic
stefan

Post by stefan »

Nic, I haven't tasted the D'Angerville Champans '02 recently, but in general the '02 Premier Crus are very good now but not fully mature. They give so much pleasure that it is hard not to drink them. Given D'Angerville's track record, I guess that full maturity is 8-10 years away.

Ian, I have never tasted a La Pousse D'Or Volnay Clos De La Bousse D'Or and had no idea it was so good. Here it is more expensive than some Grand Crus, so I guess there are many people out there who are aware of its quality.
Chateau Vin

Post by Chateau Vin »

Nicklasss wrote:Nice comments and pictures.

I have some 2002 Angerville Champans Volnay I would like to open, but that 1996 Pousse d'Or Volnay make me think that maybe I should wait 4-5 more years. But geez, waiting a wine that long is like a torture.

Nic
02 angerville champans that I had couple of months back was firing on all cylinders. You will not be disappointed that you opened it too early...