Calling it quits: Lifestyle changes

jal

Calling it quits: Lifestyle changes

Post by jal »

So after a few health scares lately, mostly heart related, with Atrial Fibrillation the least of them, it is time for me to make some changes:

No more wine for me: A-fib seems to linger and I feel much better without alcohol. Maybe in the future a doctor will give me the ok to drink again. Until then, sparkling water and maybe ice tea.

No more work either, at least for now. After more than 30 years in finance and money management, I decided to quit and take a sabbatical of at least a year and maybe longer.

And finally, no more NYC: This winter has been brutal, last winter just as bad. We will close shop in NY and spend our time between Sarasota Florida, Tel Aviv, and hopefully travels.

Hope to see you guys around at some point, Jill and I will leave New York for good on May 31. If you're around, stop and say hello.
Best

Jacques
Roel

Re: Calling it quits: Lifestyle changes

Post by Roel »

Sounds like drastic, but very understandable steps. Wise!
AlohaArtakaHoundsong

Post by AlohaArtakaHoundsong »

Hey Jacques, sorry you won't be able to indulge in our common hobby anymore but what's wine compared to health and family and friends? But I thought you were going to have some procedure to mitigate the A-fib?

I'm a little worried about your checking out of your business. I've been counting on you to prop things up a while longer.
jal

Post by jal »

Hi Art,
Yes, I had an ablation done in December, I'm seeing the doctor in two weeks to see how it went, but I will stop drinking for now nonetheless. I had a glass of wine once or twice the last few weeks and felt terrible afterwards. Maybe that will change. Here's hoping
Best

Jacques
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

What A SCOOP!

Agree that health is the priority. Many changes, for the best, and wish you better general "lifestyle", keeping yourself away of alcohol, cold and stress.

I don't know if i'll pass by New York before the end of May, but I will always keep great memories of the Jal's pool party in Chappaqua, your hospitality (hey even accept my brother one year, and opened an extra 1/2 bottle of the 1999 Château d'Yquem, just for him, late at night), and the great family you have (Jill + S and E). It was always a pleasure to be with you at différent conventions and hope we will cross you somewhere else in the future.

All the best to you Jal.

Nic

P.S. If for any reasons, you want to donate a Les Amoureuses from Mugnier, i know a good Boy who would take it! ;-/
Nicklasss

Post by Nicklasss »

And of course, continue to listen Aznavour's music, can just help the good lifestyle too.

Nic
jal

Post by jal »

Merci Nicolas,
I'm sure we'll meet again, either in NYC or in Florida. My love to your beautiful family.
Best

Jacques
DavidG

Post by DavidG »

Be well, Jacques. I look forward to seeing you again, maybe in Florida, but certainly somewhere along the line. Sarasota/Siesta Key is one of my favorite places. Enjoy your sabbatical. If you enjoy it enough, you might decide to make it permanent - nothing wrong with that!
stefan

Post by stefan »

I hope your life style change works for you, Jacques. If alcohol bothers you there is nothing to do but quit drinking.

I dunno if we'll get to Florida, but I hope to see you in Tel Aviv if you spend some more time there. Jan & I will be in Israel for a couple of weeks before the BWE Bordeaux shindig, and of course I am there for two visits almost every year.
dstgolf

Post by dstgolf »

Jacques,

Sad to hear the news but I'd say don't pack everything in all at once. Keep the door open and see what happens. 2008 I developed an arrhythmia that eventually was related to coronary disease and made worse with alcohol as well. Had stent put in and a couple of years later after arrhythmia gone started to sip again on the juice and everything was great. Waistline suffering these days but otherwise good. If your ablation was successful then hopefully you'll return to a more normal lifestyle in the near future. Are there any meds they put you on that may be the issue reacting with the alcohol rather than the a-fib causing the issues??

Regardless only time will tell and certainly if you can afford to retire then why not. There could be worse things than splitting time between strolls around St Armands Square and Tel Aviv. All the best and let us know from time to time how things are going.

Danny
Danny
JimHow

Post by JimHow »

Live long and prosper, Jacques, I am sure we will see you again in the not too distant future.
I too have cut WAY back on my alcohol consumption, though not completely.
This weekend I had four tremendous wines with family:
2000 Lynch Bages, 1995 Calon Segur, 2001 Cos d'Estournel, and 2005 Lascombes.
I'm glad to hear you are doing better health-wise and are able to retire, although NYC will miss you!
jal

Post by jal »

Thanks for the wishes guys. Sarasota, Siesta Key, St Armands Circle, Lido Key are beautiful and we are happy to spend time here. Come and visit.

Danny, it's possible. I was taking Multaq (Dronedarone) but I stopped last week. Now I'm just on bp meds to control a dilated aorta and blood thinners. I will check with the cardiologist when I see him in 12 days, it's possible that in the future I will be able to tolerate wine better, but for now, I will stay off it.

Jim/Spock, we'll definitely need to cut down on expenses now that there are no revenues but I think it's easier not being in NYC, it also certainly helps with lowering stress.
Best

Jacques
Jay Winton

Post by Jay Winton »

Jacques, tough decision but the right one. Peggy and I will try and get to NYC before the end of May to say goodbye though we're talking about moving out of DC in the near future-maybe FL!
Comte Flaneur

Post by Comte Flaneur »

Jacques

Sorry to hear of your travails. You are doing the right thing and respect what your body is telling you. There is more to life than wine, and there are plenty of exciting things to do and keep you occupied.

I'm sure we will be seeing you and if you come by London be sure to let me know.

Take care of yourself and best wishes to Jill and your family.

Ian, Maureen and Josie
RDD

Post by RDD »

Wishing you the best.